Echostar 14 119W transition information

Okay, so just to conclude the Transponder 7 train of thought:

- Dish moves HD Locals from E*7 TP 07 to E*14 other transponders
- Dish adds one test channel to E*7 TP 07 to monitor it and "keep it hot" in case there is a failure on E*14 when they load it up.
- When transition is done, presumably the E*7 TP 07 test channel will be turned off, and then there will be one free transponder for new channels at 119 on E*14 - unless currently the channels are squeezed temporarily during the transition and TP 07 is needed to relieve the overcrowding.
- Currently, there is no info on TP 07 because any use of it comes after the transition, since they want to keep it available on E*7 until the very end.

Yep, they cleared off a free TP quite a while back in prep for the E14 transition. I think this one used to be TP 10 then it moved to TP 2. And now it's going to 7.

Question:

Does anyone have more specs on the bird like CONUS beams single power @ 120 W or double power @ 240 W etc.

Thanks in advance

The ECHOSTAR-14 satellite includes 103 Travelling Wave Tube Antennas (“TWTA”s) for its
communications payload, 84 of which have 150 Watt saturated power capability, 14 have 70
Watt and five have 35 Watt capability. These TWTAs and associated payload equipment are
configured so that simultaneous operation of all 32 channels is possible on the CONUS+
downlink beam using two phase-combined TWTAs per channel, producing a beam peak EIRP
level of approximately 59 dBW per channel when downlinking into the CONUS+ beam.
Alternatively, up to 21 channels may be operated with three phase-combined TWTAs per
channels producing a net increase in downlink EIRP of approximately 1.7 dB relative to the​
1 The*****

Yep.... just listened to the radio show from tuesday they were talking about D12 having like 80 transponders and took a long time to check out. This one has:

Designed to last up to 15 years, EchoStar 14 carries 103 Ku-band transponders that will reach customers across North America.

Hello Digiblur, I appreciate your info, but I need to understand this part of your post and I Quote:

On 6/10 a couple of CONUS TP's will move from 5/6 FEC to 7/8, the rest of them on 6/17 will change to 7/8 FEC. I suspect the few I have heard receiving a faint signal in Mexico will lose the lock on the signal with this FEC change.

Please enlighten me, I can't understand what does the FEC has to do with signal levels?

With less FEC your receiver might not be able to lock the signal since there is less correction bits.

Hello Digiblur, I agree with you they can manipulate FEC so people couldn't lock on signal, and I found some info on this:

For broadcast application, the modulations implemented are QPSK and 8PSK, flexible configuration of transmission parameters: ¼, 1/3, 2/5, ½, 3/5, 2/3, ¾, 4/5, 5/6, 8/9 and 9/10. Code rates like: ¼, 1/3, 2/5 have been introduced for exceptionally poor reception conditions. But even worst 8/9 & 9/10 behave poorly under marginal link conditions (where the signal level is below the noise level).

Poor conditions aren't only given with your locaton, poor reception conditions could also be under heavy rain. Therefore my best bet is they need to configure in such a way people within the footprint can receive the service under normal and under some extreme condition, due to the fact they should have a shielded CAS system. With a shielded CAS they shouldn't even bother of people receiving the signal out of the intended area or where the signal levels is below noise level.

Changing the FEC is nothing about stopping others from seeing the signal...it is all about making efficient use of the signal to obtain more bandwidth for video services.

Changing the FEC is nothing about stopping others from seeing the signal...it is all about making efficient use of the signal to obtain more bandwidth for video services.

Precisely I agree with this, but taking advantage of the bandwidth compromising service under poor reception is what I mean shouldn’t be in consideration. Therefore, they should use their bandwidth with the best FEC as possible to provide a service such that any subscriber under certain parameters should be able to receive the service under certain norms of quality…they shouldn’t change FEC to fit in more DATA and request the IRD to change lock parameters in such a way that now you need 10% more signal levels to decode….

If they need more space all should be taken to MPEG 4 (as 72.7 W) and terminate all MPEG 2 will this be done? I guess it's in their best interest at least in time.

Last edited:
If they need more space all should be taken to MPEG 4 (as 72.7 W) and terminate all MPEG 2 will this be done? I guess it's in their best interest at least in time.
...It will be done. But there are millions of STBs out there than cannot deal with MPEG-4 today. It will be a long process of conversion, and has begun with EA.

Precisely I agree with this, but taking advantage of the bandwidth compromising service under poor reception is what I mean shouldn’t be in consideration. Therefore, they should use their bandwidth with the best FEC as possible to provide a service such that any subscriber under certain parameters should be able to receive the service under certain norms of quality…they shouldn’t change FEC to fit in more DATA and request the IRD to change lock parameters in such a way that now you need 10% more signal levels to decode….

72.7 is eastern arc, this is western arc we are talking about. E14 will provide excellent service to the desired service areas with the 7/8 FEC. The CONUS beam not covering Mexico was intentional I'm sure, just like the the beam covering PR was intentional.

next round of Channels being moved from Echostar 7 to Echostar 14 happens this morning (5/24/10) at 3 AM ET/12 AM PT, most of the channels that will move will be off air during that hour, so Dish Customers who are still up, just consider this an heads up.

Willh699 said:
next round of Channels being moved from Echostar 7 to Echostar 14 happens this morning (5/24/10) at 3 AM ET/12 AM PT, most of the channels that will move will be off air during that hour, so Dish Customers who are still up, just consider this an heads up.
yep I'm seeing a ton of off air channels ATM. Oh well thank god most have an HD counterpart on 129.

Yep...this was already posted/updated on the first post of this thread a couple of days ago.

I was hoping Wichita Ks Hd would be up quicker, oh well hurry up and wait.

Yeah its not we haven't been waiting long enough right :rolleyes:

I guess it doesn't matter at this point. the T season are pretty much over and NASCAR is probally about to switch to ESPN or TNT or wherever it goes. I guess they better have it for football season.

FYI to the AK and HI subs, several HD channels will be moving from 110 spots to 119 and 129 spots on 5/27 and 6/02

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)