Echostar 15 going live

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Echostar 15 is a Conus Plus utility outfielder. It's been moved around since its launch in 2010 and presently is located at the 61.5W slot as an in orbit spare.

Echostar has filed to place in active service on or about November 1, 2018 where it will either be supplementing or replacing the Conus transponders on Echostar 16

Notify going to PDF Form

upload_2018-10-20_11-38-8.png

What does "Plus utility outfielder" mean? I am also wondering about the contours you posted in #3... Is that E15 or E16?
Conus plus is capable of 49 States.

Utility outfielder is world series time.
Echostar 15 can serve any slot and has been at their 45w Brazil slot (they were trying to get dbs into Brazil and apparently failed) so they moved it to 61.5w where it could operate or be close to 72w if needed there.

So it is a utility satellite that backs up many slots.

The contours are from this week's filing for echostar 15. It will be operating in its high power mode.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Conus plus is capable of 49 States.

Utility outfielder is world series time.
Echostar 15 can serve any slot and has been at their 45w Brazil slot (they were trying to get dbs into Brazil and apparently failed) so they moved it to 61.5w where it could operate or be close to 72w if needed there.

So it is a utility satellite that backs up many slots.

The contours are from this week's filing for echostar 15. It will be operating in its high power mode.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Does this replace the existing satellite at 61.5?

Does this replace the existing satellite at 61.5?

No it does not replace the existing satellite .
The existing operational satellite (Echostar 16) is transmitting both Conus and spot beams (local channels).
Echostar 15 is only Conus so it can not provide local spot beam channels and can only replace or supplement Conus service at that location.

Echostar 18 , a spot beam satellite, is also at 61.5W in orbital spare status.

They may be shuffling satellites around, they may have a partial power failure and want to shift some load to E15, or they may just want to place it in service since it consumes some fuel whether operating or just sitting there.
It has been up there 8 years and the station keeping fuel normally would last 20 years or so if they have not moved it around too much.

On the application, there are multiple references to channels 1 and 2. For example, it says "EchoStar will continue to use channels 1 and 2 at the nominal 61.5° W.L. orbital location only for free-standing, separate programming packages that are not required as a condition of purchasing any other programming packages and that are readily capable of being withdrawn on short notice." What are channels 1 and 2? I have never heard of them before.

Reactions: TheKrell
Conus Plus is defined as contiguous co US plus Alaska so Hawaii is left out.

But, at 61.5W service, the slant angle is so flat that most of Alaska can not get service from that longitude.

Reactions: TheKrell
What ever happened to 72 or 77? I know dish used to use all 3 satellites on eastern arc and switched to only using 2.

Yet on western arc they got 119/110/129

It would be cool If they did a western western are 148/157/166

Living in NW OR, can see all the way to about 180, so that would work for me....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)