Echostar 23 to co-locate with Nimiq 5

Wonder why so long to get Canadian approval?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It may sit where it is for years .

Nimiq 5 is in good shape and should have many years of life remaining so there is no urgency to co-locate it .

But, now E23 is closer to the center of the echostar fleet and can be moved more rapidly to any one of their slots if needed.

Or be dropped after E23 co-locates and the transition is completed? ;)
The Canadians are rather protective in ensuring their home based companies reap the financial benefits of their assigned slots. So I'm guessing Nimiq 5 will continue to have the business.

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

If Dish goes to HEVC, they won’t need Nimiq 5 anymore.

Can Hoppers and Wallys decode HEVC?

E23 would make a great satellite for new HEVC encoded signals.

If Dish goes to HEVC, they won’t need Nimiq 5 anymore.

Can Hoppers and Wallys decode HEVC?

E23 would make a great satellite for new HEVC encoded signals.

Just answered my question by upgrading to a Wally from a ViP211k. Did not know a Wally is also called a HEVC211.

Too bad Dish wouldn't light up E23 with HEVC. They could eliminate 1 or 2 Eastern arc satellites if they did.

Would be nice if I could get all of Dish off from one, new and powerful satellite.

Hopper 3 and Wally support HEVC. Dish doesn't need a new satellite to deploy HEVC, they would need to replace a lot of customer boxes.

Reactions: navychop
And in the words of Mr. Ergen himself, " . . . having been involved in such [eqipment changeouts], it is painful and costly."

I would not expect Dish to go forward with an extremely expensive and YEARS LONG process of changing out the remaining legacy STB's in this situation of Dish (and all MVPD's) experiencing shrinking business, not growth. I could see all 4K content (and that is not even on the horizon of being the standard for OTA or "cabel" channels) being sent exclusively in HEVC requiring an upgrade if people want 4K but don't have the Hopper family of STB's. A chageout to allow for all channels/services to be delivered in HEVC is just NOT going to happen. It is cheaper and less disruptive to just keep things as they are and not spend a mountian of money having just finished a years long process to change out to HEVC just in time for 8K to be the new kid on the block and the even better sucessor to HEVC is ready for deployment. What, another change-out After having just finished the HEVC changeout. I don't think so.

Reactions: navychop
Absolutely the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

It is parked at 68W and could remain there for weeks, months, or years waiting the Canadian approvals.
They don't need it active but it is close by if needed.

Thanks for the find ! I have not been checking the FCC files and missed it.

They have had it parked in storage for several years waiting for approvals - probably hedging their bets on needed location.
If they activate it, lots of fringe people will be happy.

On January 27 , 2022 they received their license to move to and operate (or spare) at the nominal 110W location.

1645812794701.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)