Echostar 8 Moving

- DirecTV submitted a comment "concerned about interference with our satellite at 72.5, but Dish Network is in discussions with us about coordinating"

- Then on October 23rd, DirecTV submitted a second comment "satisfied that Dish Network will do what is necessary to prevent interference with 72.5"

Considering dish is broadcasting from 72.7 themselves, I doubt DirecTV needs to be worried. :)

Considering dish is broadcasting from 72.7 themselves, I doubt DirecTV needs to be worried. :)

Well not only that but DirecTV is in the process of leaving the 72.5 orbital location as Nimiq is preparing to get Nimiq 5 launched there and the lease agreement DirecTV has is only valid until that satellite arrived at either 72.XX orbital location.

This was more about DirecTV having the ability to be at the table more than anything from an outsiders point of view.

Just a comment and question. E8 seems to be moving from E-W and back, also N-S and back---i.e., circling. Is this normal behaviour while testing to determine best non-interference patterns and signal distribution?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Curious fitzie.

Just a comment and question. E8 seems to be moving from E-W and back, also N-S and back---i.e., circling. Is this normal behaviour while testing to determine best non-interference patterns and signal distribution?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Curious fitzie.

It is moving in a figure 8. As it moves into station keeping location, the figure 8 gets smaller and smaller. When on station the figure 8 will be in a box less than 0.1 degrees on a side, and will always be within 0.05 degrees of assigned location. That is one of the reasons you will read about some people with low signal losing signal certain times of the day (the satellite is continually moving around in the box)

How long historically has it taken after a sat is moved for it to begin broadcasting?

It looks like E8 is now in keeping it's position pretty well. Looks like it is still floating arount within .1 degrees of 77.

How long historically has it taken after a sat is moved for it to begin broadcasting?

It looks like E8 is now in keeping it's position pretty well. Looks like it is still floating arount within .1 degrees of 77.

They have in the past used move satellites very quickly. In this case they might want to do some tests to insure they meet the non interference goals they promised in their application to transmit from this location. There seems to be a lot of issues surrounding this slot, Dish seems to be moving cautiously.

According to a comment from JohnH in the uplink report E8 is now putting out signal. Good news!
I just did a check switch and 77 is now showing. I get signal on TPs 15, 17, 18 and 20. TPs 17 & 20 look normal but 15 and 18 don't acquire a satellite name even though they do lock.

Bring on the HD...

Mario

I just did a check switch and 77 is now showing. I get signal on TPs 15, 17, 18 and 20. TPs 17 & 20 look normal but 15 and 18 don't acquire a satellite name even though they do lock.

Bring on the HD...

Mario

Hmm, 17 and 20 got uplinks, 15 and 18 are empty but turned on. Maybe an indication that we will get 2 TPs worth (at least 8) national HDs?

Last edited:
I can also see Echo4 in my area so my TP's might be different. I can get a signal from 7, 13, 15, 20, and 22. None of them are empty. They all have video streams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)