Echostar 8 Moving

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
n2yo.com show Echostar 8 starting it's movement eastward - 109.33W. It will take a couple of updates before the rate can be determined. Looks like the last snapshot was possibly taken during it's drop down to lower altitude (still near geo)

Does this pass the smell test?

Dish makes a special trip to the FCC offices to get a hand copy of authorization to move E8 signed on Sept 12 (Friday). They got a 30 day license to make the move (33 degrees of movement) with arrival at 77W on or before October 12.

Give them a couple of days to get ready and a week or so of movement as of today. Tonight n2yo.com show maybe 2 degrees of movement in the 11 days since they got their permit (probably 7-8 days of actual movement) putting E8 somewhere around 108W. Sure looks like the data base from celestrak (the database most models use) is current as of this afternoon

Makes one wonder what is going on?

Does this pass the smell test?

Dish makes a special trip to the FCC offices to get a hand copy of authorization to move E8 signed on Sept 12 (Friday). They got a 30 day license to make the move (33 degrees of movement) with arrival at 77W on or before October 12.

Give them a couple of days to get ready and a week or so of movement as of today. Tonight n2yo.com show maybe 2 degrees of movement in the 11 days since they got their permit (probably 7-8 days of actual movement) putting E8 somewhere around 108W. Sure looks like the data base from celestrak (the database most models use) is current as of this afternoon

Makes one wonder what is going on?

I had also noticed this. Surley the infamous "A" word hasn't happened to this one.

Last edited:
I see three possibilities.

1: Flight control problems (it only dropped down about 25km).

2: FCC US beam permit problems at Mexican 77W and they are inching along in case the permit does not issue (turn back).

3: FCC problems with request to leave 1/2 of 148 empty and they are inching along in case that permission does not grant and they need a satellite to protect the 148 slot.

None of these are good.

I see three possibilities.

1: Flight control problems (it only dropped down about 25km).

2: FCC US beam permit problems at Mexican 77W and they are inching along in case the permit does not issue (turn back).

3: FCC problems with request to leave 1/2 of 148 empty and they are inching along in case that permission does not grant and they need a satellite to protect the 148 slot.

None of these are good.

These could be reasons they dropped a bunch of promised markets off of the uplink last week. Perhaps they are thinking they will not get 77 secured in time and will have to use the spots on 61.5 to cover the secondary stations in the already available markets.

Another possible reason for moving slowly:

Dish Network now has zero backup satellites. In the event of a failure of any of the other satellites, 77 West is the only slot that could be temporarily abandoned, especially considering it has yet to even been activated. So, E*8 needs to have enough fuel to get as far as 119, after going to 77.

Also, 77 West is scheduled to get a new spot beam satellite to replace E*8 and keeping enough fuel to move it again would increase the value of the satellite for use elsewhere (perhaps even 61.5).

Another possible reason for moving slowly:

Dish Network now has zero backup satellites. In the event of a failure of any of the other satellites, 77 West is the only slot that could be temporarily abandoned, especially considering it has yet to even been activated. So, E*8 needs to have enough fuel to get as far as 119, after going to 77.

Also, 77 West is scheduled to get a new spot beam satellite to replace E*8 and keeping enough fuel to move it again would increase the value of the satellite for use elsewhere (perhaps even 61.5).

Yes that is true, but all those facts were know and surely in their plans when they made the request to move to 77W.

Echostar 8 ???

E* satellite tracking database was updated early this morning (wed). Newest projection puts it at 107.75W and about 25 km below geo orbit. That is a movement of 2 degrees in the 12 days that have elapsed since movement approval.

From the FCC permit:
SAT-STA-20080616-00122
E S2439
Grant of Authority Effective Date: 09/12/2008
Special Temporary Authority
EchoStar Corporation
On September 12, 2008, the Satellite Division granted to EchoStar Corporation, subject to conditions, special temporary authority for 30 days to perform telemetry, tracking, and command operations during the relocation of the EchoStar 8 satellite from the 110° W.L. orbital location to the 77° W.L orbital location.

Something is definitely amiss !

E* satellite tracking database was updated early this morning (wed). Newest projection puts it at 107.75W and about 25 km below geo orbit. That is a movement of 2 degrees in the 12 days that have elapsed since movement approval.

From the FCC permit:
SAT-STA-20080616-00122
E S2439
Grant of Authority Effective Date: 09/12/2008
Special Temporary Authority
EchoStar Corporation
On September 12, 2008, the Satellite Division granted to EchoStar Corporation, subject to conditions, special temporary authority for 30 days to perform telemetry, tracking, and command operations during the relocation of the EchoStar 8 satellite from the 110° W.L. orbital location to the 77° W.L orbital location.

Something is definitely amiss !

Could it be that E* is waiting for Nimiq-4 to get to 82W before moving E8 through the area? Also, G19 was just launched and is headed to 97W. Regular traffic jam up there right now.

Could it be that E* is waiting for Nimiq-4 to get to 82W before moving E8 through the area? Also, G19 was just launched and is headed to 97W. Regular traffic jam up there right now.

Why would E* have been given permission by the FCC for the move if the skies were so crowded? They only had a 30 day permission slip for the move and a ways to go. 2 degrees per day is about the max moving speed, is it not? I doubt they want to move at max speed. I'm not saying you're not correct, but it seems pretty strange that almost 14 days of the move period have already expired with no movement.

Why would E* have been given permission by the FCC for the move if the skies were so crowded? They only had a 30 day permission slip for the move and a ways to go. 2 degrees per day is about the max moving speed, is it not? I doubt they want to move at max speed. I'm not saying you're not correct, but it seems pretty strange that almost 14 days of the move period have already expired with no movement.

It started at 109.8w so they have drifted it 2 degrees E as of yesterday. I've seen faster- 3 or 4 degrees/day but they have to drop down lowern for faster drift east and that takes extra fuel and seems an illogical thing to do when they requested a pemit for 30 days and had plenty of time to do it at about 1.5 degrees/day.

Somethings going on and they are not talking. I'm guessing a permit problem since there are no SEC notices of failures.

Somethings going on and they are not talking. I'm guessing a permit problem since there are no SEC notices of failures.

If it is permit problems, for the life of me I don't understand how they operate. Wouldn't it be prudent to have all your ducks in a row before requesting a move to a new position? Especially when you physically walk the request through the process, like, you know, it's an emergency. :) Is this the Mexican slot and thus, possible problems with Mexico agreeing to rent the space?

If it is permit problems, for the life of me I don't understand how they operate. Wouldn't it be prudent to have all your ducks in a row before requesting a move to a new position? Especially when you physically walk the request through the process, like, you know, it's an emergency. :) Is this the Mexican slot and thus, possible problems with Mexico agreeing to rent the space?

Could be. A good part of E8 is to be dedicated to a new Mexican satellite service. The Mexican conglomerates that control tv could well be putting sticks in the spokes. They are as good or better than the American companies in fighting approvals. But, Dish had claimed it was approved by Mexico in their applications.

New epoch : 105.5W sunday evening.

Looks like they have dropped it down another 25 km which will pick up the pace.

E8 just passed 105W and continues to wander eastward at a leisurely 3Km/sec which will see it arrive at 77W on or about November 15th.

ECHOSTAR 8
1 27501U 02039A 08273.37001469 -.00000123 00000-0 10000-3 0 2678
2 27501 000.0406 266.2858 0002765 257.5317 232.5612 01.00440159 22407

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)