Echostar 8 Moving

I'm still curious as to why they felt the need to handwalk a permit that covered Sep. 12 through Oct. 12 and then decided there was no hurry to the move afterall.

Laddyboy has a great question; if anyone knows the answer....?

Current location: 92.72W. According to LyngSat, the eastward move is 0.86 degrees per day. The math says 15 degrees more in 17.44 days...Oct. 29?:yes

fitzie

Well, I have no answers, but let's speculate...:)

Maybe E11 had some hiccups than we didn't realize. It did take longer than anticipated to test. Maybe they wanted E8 to stick around in case there were issues.

Maybe the LiL negotiations (that are meant for 77W) have not been going well, so no hurry to get E8 there.

Maybe TT&C issues with E8.

Maybe E5 was giving them a scare with the possibility of more failures. Perhaps they wanted the make sure Ciel-2 would make the schedule for 2008 with ILS. (I also notice E8 didn't start to pick up speed until Nimiq 4 successfully made it to orbit).

Maybe there have been forign permit issues, eliminating the rush. 77W is a Mexican slot.

Lots of possible expanations.

Thanks to HDRoberts for five great maybe's. As I read them I thought yeah, I like that one,...,and that one, etc.

How about one more: maybe Mexico said thanks, but no thanks, take your satellite and shove it...on by! Can Dish use another Sat at 72? Or how about at 61.5? Is anyone sitting on 66?

But I do think that Nimiq 4 speculation has a rounded resonance to it, as if someone had said, Hey Charlie, how about doing a slow hold for 10 days or so until...:)

fitzie

Well, I have no answers, but let's speculate...:)

Lots of possible expanations.

I'll put my money on paperwork. After Dish made their initial applicaton to FCC to operate E8 as a US satellite at 77W and it went out on public notice, Mexico told Quetzsat "no way are you keeping your license for 77W with a foreign satellite". So Dish resubmitted the application in late July (as I recall) and specified that E8 will be transferred to Mexican control. That reset the clock, requiring putting it back out for public notice, etc and set it back in the approval system.

How are you guys predicting the ETA of last week of Oct or first week of Nov? Do you assume stopping on a dime, or a slow deceleration? Once it gets to 77 how long do you expect it to be before programming is available to EA?

In space, there is no friction. Takes the same delta-v (change in velocity, which is directly proportional to fuel consumption) to stop pretty quick versus slowly. It's not like driving a car.

Once there, adding programing isn't hard and won't take long, so long as the uplink sites are ready and they have stuff to put there.

Looks like it dropped another 25km since the last time I checked or about 100 total. Moving along nicely.

35,669 x 35,707 km

E-8 is now at 88W, moving at approximately 1 degree per day, heading to 77W. A reasonable guess is that 11 degrees would take 11 days, so the answer is Oct. 28 (or maybe 29) unless its slowed down for some reason before getting there. Are the uplinks and so on in place? I haven't a clue. Maybe nelson61 or hdroberts knows. (?)

fitzie

E-8 is now at 88W, moving at approximately 1 degree per day, heading to 77W. A reasonable guess is that 11 degrees would take 11 days, so the answer is Oct. 28 (or maybe 29) unless its slowed down for some reason before getting there. Are the uplinks and so on in place? I haven't a clue. Maybe nelson61 or hdroberts knows. (?)

fitzie
FCC still hasn't given Dish permission to transmit from E-8 at 77wl, as far as I know.

fitzie

Sadly, I do not:(

fitzie

they just got around to approving the extension dish requested for moving time

"On October 16, 2008, the Satellite Policy Branch granted special temporary authority to EchoStar Corporation to continue for 30 days to drift the EchoStar 8 satellite from its assigned orbital location 110° W.L to the 77° W.L orbital location, in accordance to the conditions specified in its application."

According to the Friday noon TLE it is at 83.7 and moving about 1.2 degrees per day.

I question your information source.

ECHOSTAR 8
1 27501U 02039A 08291.50185147 -.00000231 00000-0 00000+0 0 2843
2 27501 000.0326 284.8175 0003799 227.3460 328.5673 01.00588177 22583

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts