Echostar 8 Moving

On path to cross 77W Saturday (10/25) at 22:14 zulu.

ECHOSTAR 8
1 27501U 02039A 08295.30621124 -.00000260 00000-0 00000+0 0 2869
2 27501 000.0284 286.9318 0004744 254.9754 236.3530 01.00576482 22620

Interesting they are in no rush. Maybe there are other delays in the future that will hold off putting it into service for a while anyway?

E*8 at 77 will be replaced by a spot beam satellite, and at that point, Dish will want to move it to 61.5 to replace E*3. So, they will want to conserve its fuel.

I'm betting that E-6 will be moved to 61.5 W to replace/augment E-3. This is because the E-6 replacement Nimiq 5 will be launched sooner i.e., early 2010 as opposed to sometime in 2011 for E-8 replacement and Dish wants to use the 4 TPs that neither E-3 or E-12 can provide at 61.5 W. In addition, based on the coverage maps for E-6 and E-8 at 72.7 W and 77 W respectively, it appears that E-6 can provide better coverage from 61.5 W than can E-8.

E8 has 16 spotbeams. Since both are covered by the Dish 1000.4, there's little point moving it all the way to 61.5W

This issue is that there are 4 TPs at 61.5 that E12, due to design limitations, and E3 due to failures cannot carry. Those represent spaces for 28 HD channels. They want that space. But as rocatman says, that job likely can be filled by E6 when Nimiq 5 arrives.

Yep, moving up and slowing down. Altitude 22,151 and ascending, location 79.06W. If back to that 0.86 degree per day speed, we're looking at Monday (unless they slow down further--maybe to a complete stop 1 degree short of their goal).

The reason this interests me most particularly is that I feel once E8 is in place at 77 and beaming signal, spot beam capability may exist for the Llexington, Ky--Louisville, Ky--Cincinnati, O., Columbus, O., and Indianapolis, Ind. wasteland to start getting some HD locals. While Charlie may like Ames, Iowa better than KY, Ind., and Ohio, I don't think so, and on one of his chats he commented "Naturally, we're trying to get HD locals to the more populated areas first." Anyway, that's my speculation, and I'm eager to see if I guessed right. We already have a good SD signal, so I can live without local HD, but a lot of SEC football and basketball is carried on our local CBS station presumably in HD.

Best regards,
fitzie

Yep, moving up and slowing down. Altitude 22,151 and ascending, location 79.06W. If back to that 0.86 degree per day speed, we're looking at Monday (unless they slow down further--maybe to a complete stop 1 degree short of their goal).

The reason this interests me most particularly is that I feel once E8 is in place at 77 and beaming signal, spot beam capability may exist for the Llexington, Ky--Louisville, Ky--Cincinnati, O., Columbus, O., and Indianapolis, Ind. wasteland to start getting some HD locals. While Charlie may like Ames, Iowa better than KY, Ind., and Ohio, I don't think so, and on one of his chats he commented "Naturally, we're trying to get HD locals to the more populated areas first." Anyway, that's my speculation, and I'm eager to see if I guessed right. We already have a good SD signal, so I can live without local HD, but a lot of SEC football and basketball is carried on our local CBS station presumably in HD.

Best regards,
fitzie

Dish did not request spotbeam capability for E-8 at 77W from the FCC and besides the spotbeams will be messed up because they were designed for the satellite to be at 110 W not 77 W. E-8 will be used for HD locals but only using CONUS beams.

Dish did not request spotbeam capability for E-8 at 77W from the FCC and besides the spotbeams will be messed up because they were designed for the satellite to be at 110 W not 77 W. E-8 will be used for HD locals but only using CONUS beams.

I think it would be foolish of them not to at least test the spotbeam capability to see what kind of coverage they can get. It may not hit the original markets, but they have to go somewhere.

Raised it another 25 km. They had dropped down about 100 km in what looked like 4 - 25 km steps and now have moved back up in 2 - 25 km steps.

About 50 km below geo and moving slowly.

E-8 Currently at 22,168M altitude, 78.47W. Speed: [k/ps]: 0. Previously, the speed had been listed as "Speed: [k/ps] 0.01." (From n2yo.) Geostationary, awaiting word from the FCC?

When I made my comment about E-8 being in place and "beaming signal" I recognized that the signal might or might not be spot beam. I was also thinking that the E-8 signal, whether spot beam or CONUS, might free up some spot beam capacity on the 61.5 satillite that could be used for our area. I receive 61.5 signal fine. Maybe 77W also?

Regards,
fitzie