EchoStar Chief Says Satellite Deal Will Move Forward

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
From my point of view there is currenty vibrant competition for the mutichannel video industry. Over the past few years DBS has forced the cable MSOs to do an $80billion upgrade and the competition between DBS and cable is fiercer than ever.

The customer is benefitting VOOM is really an inconsequential factor right now.

The customer has for the most part a choice of three providers in most markets (discounting voom). In some markets they have 4 with a able tv overbuilder.

With the telcoms jumping into the game there will be another choice soon.

rtt2 said:
From my point of view there is currenty vibrant competition for the mutichannel video industry. Over the past few years DBS has forced the cable MSOs to do an $80billion upgrade and the competition between DBS and cable is fiercer than ever.

The customer is benefitting VOOM is really an inconsequential factor right now.

The customer has for the most part a choice of three providers in most markets (discounting voom). In some markets they have 4 with a able tv overbuilder.

With the telcoms jumping into the game there will be another choice soon.

In many markets, consumers have a choice of three MVPD providers inclusive of Voom. Duopolies are strongly disfavored. A three to two transaction will not pass FCC muster. Effective competition from the telcos is more than two years away.

dragon002 said:
cfarm, a monopoly would be one provider, there are two major dbs operators, enough said.

also when some one disagrees with you guys opines , they should be given the same latitude, oh poor poor us , they are taking our voom away!!!! or they are selling our satellite to that evil ergen. or that evil murdock, look at the BILLIONS he is spending on the non existent spaceway sats. the feds should at least force the other dbs operators to provide us our voom!! take that spaceway sat that is on sea launch and give it to dolan sr so he can be a visionary .

get a life

dolan will try and then directv and dish will swoop in for the kill

dragon

Evil Ergan? Evil Murdoch? Your descriptives are humourous.....in an annoying sort of way.

In the end it's just TV, Dude. The sun will rise tomorrow and life will go on even if Voom doesn't make it. I'm still not understanding the dramatics every time someone disagrees with your ananlysis.

The FCC mindset is not behind the idea of stacking the deck in Egan's favor. That was the point of the link. I guess you missed it.

Kudos to Joe for posting that link in another Forum which is where I first read it.

jsb_hburg said:
In many markets, consumers have a choice of three MVPD providers inclusive of Voom. Duopolies are strongly disfavored. A three to two transaction will not pass FCC muster. Effective competition from the telcos is more than two years away.

How do you count that there are three including VOOM?

I count:
1)Cable
2)DirecTV
3)Dish Network

Finally Voom bringing the count to 4

There is no duopoly if Voom dissappears. Only a duapoly in the satellite distribution model. Either way customers still have a choice.

rtt2 said:

I count:
1)Cable
2)DirecTV
3)Dish Network

There is no duopoly if Voom dissappears. Only a duapoly in the satellite distribution model. Either way customers still have a choice.

Does cable exist in every defined geographic market? The answer is no. If Voom were to disappear, an MVPD duopoly would then exist in those rural markets served only by the two remaining DBS providers.

rtt2 said:

I count:
1)Cable
2)DirecTV
3)Dish Network

In my area and in rural areas there is no cable. City cable snobs (don't mean you) need to remember that.

jsb_hburg said:
Does cable exist in every defined geographic market? The answer is no. If Voom were to disappear, an MVPD duopoly would then exist in those rural markets served only by the two remaining DBS providers.

but what , oh, what about the beloved OTA???

dragon

dragon002 said:

dragon
If you're too far out in the sticks for cable, then OTA is pretty unlikely. Well, less so now that stations are going digital. Too many are still at low power though.

mdonnelly said:
If you're too far out in the sticks for cable, then OTA is pretty unlikely. Well, less so now that stations are going digital. Too many are still at low power though.

Sometimes has nothing to do with being "out in the sticks". In a large market like the San Francisco Bay Area, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who cannot get reliable OTA for the digital feeds. Some of these people are less than 20 miles from the transmitters.

Geographics plays a role too.

cfarm said:
Sometimes has nothing to do with being "out in the sticks". In a large market like the San Francisco Bay Area, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who cannot get reliable OTA for the digital feeds. Some of these people are less than 20 miles from the transmitters.

Geographics plays a role too.
Granted, but cable IS available in the Bay Area now, isn't it? Most people within 20 miles of a broadcast tower are in an area serviced by at least one cable system.

mdonnelly said:
Granted, but cable IS available in the Bay Area now, isn't it? Most people within 20 miles of a broadcast tower are in an area serviced by at least one cable system.

Yes cable is available, with pockets of old 550 MHz systems. Ask the people of Santa Rosa how happy they are with their Comcast system.

A FCC ruling is made based on TV viewers in general, not based on selected examples.

dragon002 said:

dragon

OTA is not considered competition within the product market called MVPD. The acronym means multichannel video programming distribution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)