EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

And he bought it for $44 billion and it's only worth $12.5 billion as of January of 2024. Real good investment huh? That is a 71% decrease from the price Musk paid for the company in 2022. He is running it straight into the ground. :smug
I read a fascinating analysis of why this may be true. It seems that the loss he's taken on X-ster can be used to offset gains in his other businesses. So if you consider the tax implications of offsetting Tesla, etc., Running it into the ground might be a shrewd decision. A pity, though. Twitter was good, but when he's done with it, he will fire sale it to someone who hopefully might resurrect it. I think Meta might buy it and fold it into Threads or something like that. If they are smart they will

Right from :mad:twitter)
We have broad enforcement rights: X reserves the right to take enforcement actions against you if you do violate these terms, such as, for example, removing your Content, limiting visibility, discontinuing your access to X, or taking legal action. We may also suspend or terminate your account for other reasons, such as prolonged inactivity, risk of legal exposure, or commercial inviability.

Any use or reliance on any Content or materials posted via the Services or obtained by you through the Services is at your own risk. We do not endorse, support, represent or guarantee the completeness, truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of any Content or communications posted via the Services or endorse any opinions expressed via the Services. You understand that by using the Services, you may be exposed to Content that might be offensive, harmful, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate, or in some cases, postings that have been mislabeled or are otherwise deceptive. All Content is the sole responsibility of the person who originated such Content. We may not monitor or control the Content posted via the Services and, we cannot take responsibility for such Content.

We reserve the right to remove Content that violates the User Agreement, including for example, copyright or trademark violations or other intellectual property misappropriation, impersonation, unlawful conduct, or harassment. Information regarding specific policies and the process for reporting or appealing violations can be found in our Help Center
IOW we can do whatever we please, capriciously or otherwise, and you have no defensible rights here.

It seems that the loss he's taken on X-ster can be used to offset gains in his other businesses.

Do you mean tax-loss harvesting?

Tax-loss harvesting can make a loss less painful if it happens, but since taxes are a fraction of gains or losses, I’m having trouble seeing where someone would generate intentional losses just to tax-loss harvest.

Deleted some political type posts, and some that quoted since deleted posts.

This is not the pit.
You have my sympathy. Long ago there was a business related forum and one of the issues was that some topics brought out the portion of our membership that wanted to make everything political.

Little more news-

Dish Network has received at least one financing proposal valued at more than $1 billion, with collateral on that financing tied to Dish Network’s extensive spectrum portfolio.

Dish Network is reportedly sitting on $20 billion in debt and posted distressing operational and financial results for its most recent operating quarter. The Bloomberg report cited Bloomberg Intelligence senior credit analyst Stephen Flynn who noted in a recent report that “EchoStar’s debt load of almost $22 billion is likely untenable, and the company could pursue maneuvers to improve liquidity and extend its maturity profile.”

EchoStar ended its most recent quarter with $2.4 billion in cash and marketable securities, which it planned to use pay $1 billion in notes that were due in March. It has another $2 billion in bond securities due in November and $9 billion more due in 2026.

However, it’s not currently generating enough cash flow from operations to help fund that $2 billion in bonds due later this year, thus the current financial scrambling.

Based on that above analysis, Dish needs at least about $15 Billion to cover the debt due within the next 3 years, plus they need to continue to build out to make the 75% FCC Deadline-

Covering 75% of each of its spectrum license areas with 5G, by June 2025. Analysts believe Dish will need another 15,000 cell towers – and an additional $2 billion to $3 billion – to reach that goal.

Little more news-

Dish Network has received at least one financing proposal valued at more than $1 billion, with collateral on that financing tied to Dish Network’s extensive spectrum portfolio.

Dish Network is reportedly sitting on $20 billion in debt and posted distressing operational and financial results for its most recent operating quarter. The Bloomberg report cited Bloomberg Intelligence senior credit analyst Stephen Flynn who noted in a recent report that “EchoStar’s debt load of almost $22 billion is likely untenable, and the company could pursue maneuvers to improve liquidity and extend its maturity profile.”

EchoStar ended its most recent quarter with $2.4 billion in cash and marketable securities, which it planned to use pay $1 billion in notes that were due in March. It has another $2 billion in bond securities due in November and $9 billion more due in 2026.

However, it’s not currently generating enough cash flow from operations to help fund that $2 billion in bonds due later this year, thus the current financial scrambling.

Based on that above analysis, Dish needs at least about $15 Billion to cover the debt due within the next 3 years, plus they need to continue to build out to make the 75% FCC Deadline-

Covering 75% of each of its spectrum license areas with 5G, by June 2025. Analysts believe Dish will need another 15,000 cell towers – and an additional $2 billion to $3 billion – to reach that goal.

Great, more towers to blight the land, more microwaves assaulting the brain.

Little more news-

Something wrong with that article..it said dish needed 15k cell towers to reach 70% ( dish says 18k under construction...then "analysts" believe another 15k towers to reach 75%... I don't think they have to double their towers for another 5%... but thats just me..

Verizon is independently operating approximately 2,000 cell towers and over 4,200 rooftop sites throughout the United State, with 11,324 towers being managed …

Something wrong with that article..it said dish needed 15k cell towers to reach 70% ( dish says 18k under construction...then "analysts" believe another 15k towers to reach 75%... I don't think they have to double their towers for another 5%... but thats just me..
They need more towers for that extra 5% because it is over rural areas, houses/people are not so close together like they are in metro areas.

I have pointed out before, I live in a semi-rural area in Florida, I have to go out to the middle of the yard to get a 5G or any other signal (still not that good, glad I have wifi calling), but back in my old subdivision in Metro Detroit, where the houses are packed in like sardines, they have all 3 Cell Companies 5G Home Internet available, along with Comcast, here I am lucky to have Charter.

Last edited:
They need more towers for that extra 5% because it is over rural areas, houses/people are not so close together like they are in metro areas.

I have pointed out before, I live in a semi-rural area in Florida, I have to go out to the middle of the yard to get a 5G or any other signal (still not that good, glad I have wifi calling), but back in my old subdivision in Metro Detroit, where the houses are packed in like sardines, they have all 3 Cell Companies 5G Home Internet available, along with Comcast, here I am lucky to have Charter.
So 1 site per 3 customers? I don't think so

Reactions: charlesrshell
So 1 site per 3 customers? I don't think so
Dish made the agreement with the FCC with regards to the coverage, take it up with them.

But that is the end of my back and forth with you.

IMG_1146.gif

75% means many things. 75 out 100. It is an average grade in school, while it is approaching a 1 to 1 grade for a road. 75% isn't common in elections and usually is only for zoo or park levies.
I think logically, 75% can only mean one of two things. It might mean coverage for 75% for all phone users, or it might mean 75% of the landmass of the United States. I'm thinking the former would be the one it means because 5g coverage of 75% of the United States land mass seems kind of impossible.

I live in a concrete house with low outdoor cell strength. Like zip reception indoors . I bought an outdoor receive antenna and 3 booster antennas indoors from Wilson which provided excellent reception to cure the problem.

I think logically, 75% can only mean one of two things. It might mean coverage for 75% for all phone users, or it might mean 75% of the landmass of the United States. I'm thinking the former would be the one it means because 5g coverage of 75% of the United States land mass seems kind of impossible.
*ponders Alaska having 75% land mass coverage of cell phone towers* :D

I live in a concrete house with low outdoor cell strength. Like zip reception indoors . I bought an outdoor receive antenna and 3 booster antennas indoors from Wilson which provided excellent reception to cure the problem.

I worked in one old tall building with Boost Infinite and my reception wasn't that good. Worked by an exterior wall. We moved recently into a different old(er) tall building, I'm not that far from an exterior wall and my reception is just fine.

I don't know if they improved things, because I do remember being in Playhouse Square and having nadda, and then a few shows ago, noticed I had signal. But that is a different city than I work in.

Great, more towers to blight the land, more microwaves assaulting the brain.
There are more than 5 million towers in the world. Less than 10% are in the US. China has about 50% of them and India has about 20%. Towers are vulnerable to electronic attack as Russia did to the Ukraine to disrupt their communication. Starlink saved the day by letting Ukraine use their satellite net to communicate . Now that their will be multiple satellite low orbit webs I hope Dish is figuring out how to use them in addition to building towers.