EchoStar Introduces New High-Definition DVR Receiver for the HD Enthusiast

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The 612 doesn't appear to solve the problem for the person up against the 4 tuner lease limit that wanted to upgrade their single tuner non-HD DVR (5xx) to a single tuner HD DVR.

What Dish really needs to do is create a box which will power 2 HDTVs. I imagine this can be done with some of the Sling Box technology which they recently purchased. Put the Sling circuitry in the receiver (along with HomePlug AV). Sell a slave box as an in-home receiver to take the Sling signals and display them via HDMI on the remote TV. Potentially, they could run multiple slave boxes off a single receiver (charging a separate fee for each, of course). This would simplify installation (only a single cable run from the dishes / switch) and reduce upgrade costs (the slaves could remain with an upgraded box). If they do it right, they could even sell to other video companies.

I like it, its an hd version of the 721 and will allow for an hd dual tuner to be at each hd tv in a house. There have been several threads on here where people have stated they have 2 / 3 / 4 and more hd tvs in the house and this would be better than having a 622/722 at each location set in single mode and it'll be hassle free to get the 612 as opposed to trying to get the others. First smart move I've seen from Dish in a long time.

The 612 doesn't appear to solve the problem for the person up against the 4 tuner lease limit that wanted to upgrade their single tuner non-HD DVR (5xx) to a single tuner HD DVR.
As long as they categorize it as they did the 721 then it will be considered a single receiver for one tv so keep your fingers crossed.

Exactly. Where is the SINGLE TUNER HD DVR? That is what people need.

Some are asking why Echostar introduced this box.

I believe this is Echostar's version of the DirecTV HR21. The HR21 incorporates a new integrated DVR CPU from Broadcom which helps to significantly reduce manufacturing cost. This allowed DirecTV to reduce its cost for every HDTV DVR from $450 to $250.

One of the differences between this new chip and the old is the elimination of the second decoder. It cannot decode and output two different channels simultaneously, so picture-in-picture and TV2 output are no longer possible. Of course, you still get a picture window in the guide and menus; that does not require the decoding of two different channels.

612 to allow self-install?

Given that this new box won't have the complications of two remotes talking to one receiver and no rf cabling from room to room, won't this be a pretty simple unit to install oneself?

My greatest impediment to upgrading to HD is the WAF about "no low-life installers in my house."

Getting Dish to ship a 622/722 for self-install seems hard-to-impossible depending upon what you read amongst these threads.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Bill

...My greatest impediment to upgrading to HD is the WAF about "no low-life installers in my house."...Bill

Bill you really don't know how to get things done in the house, just buy your wife a day at spa or something, and she will come home kiss you like you never had before while both of you enjoy the new HDs:)

On the topic of remotes... it appears to be an RF remote. Saw a picture of the back and there's a jack for the remote antenna.

That is good to know, thanks.

Even the 811 had an RF remote. It is the best choice for putting the IRD in a closet out of sight, wired through the walls to your wall-mounted flat panel TV. Ahh, but I digress.

As long as they used their latest RF remote, one could assume it will have the removable key which you could flip from the UHF Pro side to the IR (or the all black key which says UHF (50x stlye UHF) but also emits IR) and have an IR remote instead... It's not TV 2 UHF Pro, or really TV1 for that matter, so I wonder if it's the return of the Silver UHF Pro logo remote key. If so, I have one of those at home from a replacement remote I got and it's black UHF on the back side, but that covers IR so OK. Really no sense to have the RF if your receiver is in the viewing path of the IR remote... also seems DISH has really good IR remotes...

But again.... totally allows anyone to put the 612 away and out of sight to have the RF... good thing I say...

Given that this new box won't have the complications of two remotes talking to one receiver and no rf cabling from room to room, won't this be a pretty simple unit to install oneself?

My greatest impediment to upgrading to HD is the WAF about "no low-life installers in my house."

Getting Dish to ship a 622/722 for self-install seems hard-to-impossible depending upon what you read amongst these threads.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Bill
Generaly your best bet to get a receiver to install yourself is to go through a store like dishstore. Having been one of the "low life installers " I can tell you that the biggest reason for having the installer come out to do the upgrade was to prevent the mouth breathers from screwing it up and then bawling when they couldnt get it working and having to pay for a service call at $119 to have one of us "low life installers" fix what they messed up.

Exactly. Where is the SINGLE TUNER HD DVR? That is what people need.

This is a dual tuner single tv receiver, its an hd version of the 721 receiver wich was killed off to soon by dish back in the day and the only real flaw it had was a long set up for the initial install. This new receiver should have pip and work the same as the current hd dvr dual tuners minus the second independant tv function.

Seeing how there is only one HD output on these duall tuner 622/722 receivers and the TV2 output is only SD, it makes good sense for those with only one television in their house and if it saves Dish Network $200. Otherwise it does not make sense because the consumer is going to want a DVR in the second room as well if they have it in the first room. The only advantage of this receiver is eliminating the additional outlet fee for those that only want and need one television in their home or want to watch one thing at a time and split it to different rooms if no more than one person is going to watch tv at a time.

The 612 also makes perfect sense in the context of a standalone box that can stream content from another Dish receiver via ethernet, eliminating the need for an RF modulator for TV2. Sounds like a perfect role for a DLNA enabled device, like a PS3, or Xbox 360, or maybe the upcoming TR-50. I am sure that the ViP series of receivers is capable of a great deal more than what we have seen so far. It is REALLY annoying to get hints of this kind of stuff with no specifics!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)