Closeups: new Echostar TR-50 OTA HD Digital to Analog DVR Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Attached is a closeup photo of the TR-50 Receiver, Echostar's new OTA HD Digital to Analog DVR Receiver. I specifically said "Echostar" and not "Dish Network," as this is being marketed by Echostar and not Dish.

It has component, Svideo, and rgb outputs.

It can output in 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. It downconverts for SD outputs.

It has full DVR functionality.

It can pick up OTA Digital and analog broadcasts.

It includes the same remote as the 722/622 (unlike the TR-40, which has the older small black Dish remote).

It has a plastic cover, which makes me wonder about heat issues.

My thoughts: What a neat way to add a second DVR for OTA recordings.... no price yet, but hopefully it will be competitively priced.

Attachments

• IMG_3688.JPG
    IMG_3688.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_3687.JPG
    IMG_3687.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 1,562
Oh, ok - and just noticed that it supports analog OTA as well so perhaps it utilizes mpeg4 for that also.

They said MPEG 4 was for 'futureproof' in case any OTA stations ever switch?

I also posted a picture of the back of it in the Dish Booth Photos thread.

I'm a little confused by this device. Will this record OTA HD digital signals like my Sony DHG-HD250?

It will record any OTA signal, and covert it to an analog source -- i.e., component video, rgb, svideo.... just won't send it to HDMI or DVI.

It will also downcovert to SD displays; but keep the native signal for component video HDTVs.

I am curious how much it will cost. If they keep it cheap, I will get one just to have an extra DVR for OTA stuff.

The MPEG4 will be used for internet based services, as the unit has ethernet and will be able to access certain IPTV services in the future. :)

Since it is digital and anlog OTA capable, it sounds like it has a different tuner chip in it than the one in the 622/722. Perhaps it can handle QAM as the 811 did? That would be a big plus with many people. Since it can handle analog, it could also be used to record anything put out by the RF modulator on an existing Dish receiver. Not the best option, but could be interesting as a cheap DVR in a secondary room.

Since it is digital and anlog OTA capable, it sounds like it has a different tuner chip in it than the one in the 622/722. Perhaps it can handle QAM as the 811 did? That would be a big plus with many people. Since it can handle analog, it could also be used to record anything put out by the RF modulator on an existing Dish receiver. Not the best option, but could be interesting as a cheap DVR in a secondary room.

With QAM capability and the addition of a cable card could it not also be used as a set top box on cable? Or with a few modifications couldn't it be sold to cable companies as a set top box? Charlie wants to sell hardware, looks to me like this fits in there somewhere.

It will record any OTA signal, and covert it to an analog source -- i.e., component video, rgb, svideo.... just won't send it to HDMI or DVI.

It will also downcovert to SD displays; but keep the native signal for component video HDTVs.

I am curious how much it will cost. If they keep it cheap, I will get one just to have an extra DVR for OTA stuff.

So it'll record HDTV programs but I can only play them back via component? Are these guys kidding? Hello.....everybody and their grandmother has been arguing about HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc on DVD players and these guys show up with component? And why are the Dish satellite receivers so damn expensive after all this time? Because I cant buy them in BestBuy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)