Echostar is in the IPTV business

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spvideo

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
EchoStar ViP-TV™

It might be old news but it looks like Dish is in the IPTV arena. SA is on the right track to utilize IPTV as the next big distribution method. The only disadvantage to this technology will be the competing networks and different set top boxes.

If they can get it on-line soon SA could be the first nationwide IPTV network that I know of to widely distribute major cable networks via this platform along with the faith programming. If they have success on their own it may provide the leverage for a major carrier to take a second look at distributing SA via their network. They just need to prove that the demand for this type of programming is there and that people are willing to pay for it. Other networks may see the benefit of obtaining the SA package for distribution on a mainstream IPTV network. Who knows maybe they could even return to satellite if they prove the numbers of people who want this type of service are there. It is something to think about.

IPTV could be a catalyst to provide more exposure and buzz for Sky Angel. What mainstream viewer knows about Glorystar or even Sky Angel in its current form. Even some Dish CS people don't even know it exists. Now that the switch is on to IPTV. A new buzz and exposure is being created. Look how hard The Gospel Music Channel has had to work to get exposure. They are succeeding through word of mouth and loyal viewers support. The next chapter of Sky Angel could do the same with your support.

nationwide IPTV network? That's sort of a stretch. They are simply delivering their existing content and providing the equipment to receive it and retransmit it over IP-based distribution networks. I believe their involvement in the IPTV network ends at the satellite dish.. unless they themselves start building headend offices and laying fiber to customers doors. The IPTV arena has been covered by various companies for many years. The only difference is that a major distributor of content is reselling equipment to make it easier for small segments of people to find and install the IPTV system.

The headend distribution network that they are offering is a very small piece of the puzzle. The complex part comes in getting all the bits into the customer's home reliably. Anybody who already has the distribution system inplace for reliable IPTV transmission can already utilize SA without EStar... so maybe the "buzz"will help, but really.. the target audience for SA is not out looking at buzz words... They are at church, spending time with family & raising kids, living in nursing homes, etc... (okay, so that's not the entire target audience there.. but a good portion)

the way things look to be going, is there will be IP providers send programming via IP. So Satellite Providers might have fringe areas, not able to get IP services. Could be interesting soon.

While IPTV may well be the next big distribution method, Sky Angel is only going to find they are one of many fish in a big pond. They couldn't compete in the DBS market when they were one of only three providers and DISH unable to compete with them. Being the first into the market won't be enough. They need to drastically change the way they have been doing business. I hope they do. I would like to see them succeed. However I doubt they will.

I agree with you to a point Shane. However, their IPTV partner does this for a profit. They set a pricepoint that allows them to mass recode the content and distribute it across the internet while still making a profit. They get a piece of the monthly subscription fee, and that's virtually the end to the cost of providing this service. The content is virtually free to SA, so their only other expense is marketing and maybe some limited support (as their IPTV partner would handle all technical support).

So for every single subscriber, it's cash in SA's pocket. If they supported the old lifetimers from the dishnetwork days, then they might be hurting, as they would have to pay their IPTV partner for the delivery of content that is not bringing in revenue. However, they are not doing this... so again, it's cash in SA's pocket. They could have a small fraction of the subscribers they have today and it would still be a viable money-making business

The reason I doubt they will be a success is because of their record of failure. Many, many poor business decisions have been made by them - including the lifetime subscriptions. Now if their partner in IPTV has good business sense, SA may be able to gain success on their coattails.

What they should do, and I may write to them and suggest it, is put a web page together with links to all the streaming video from many of the Christian networks they carry. Many, like TBN and SafeTV have video streaming right on their website. It would cost SA very little money to have a page full of links for subscribers to watch channels on line. They could offer this to their lifetime subscribers at no cost. Of course it would be nothing that isn't available for free anyway except it would have all the links together on one page.

sky angel doesnt communicate well with their customers, heck they treat lifetimers like mushrooms, keep us in the dark and dont ewven feed us manure.

the bad press screwing of lifers will kill their future operations, no matter what the platform

What bad press? This site? There are a lot of members on this site, but few have SA. Most SA customers are not reading this forum, and the MSM is not about to cover for more than 20 seconds such a small business changing platforms.

There are other websites, including the better Business Bureau, complaints.com etc that have "bad press" about sky angel. I think it will get worse in the coming months.

also you need to consider that lifetimers have not been told that their subs are being cancelled yet. Unless they call to find out about IPTV from the flyer they won't know. Even then ,they haven't been told any real details. A lifetimer may just throw it away thinking "i already have dbs paid for a lifetime" "not interested in IPTV" etc

they need a straightforward letter "WARNING your lifetime membership will be expiring on 00/08. In order to continue receiving sky angel you will need to a) purchase equipment for $$$ b)pay a monthly fee of $$$. Please see system requirements BEFORE subscribing..."

I don't know why sky angel hasn't sent something long before now.......

Not telling subscribers ahead of time is not bad press. SA is not well known enough to get a lot of bad press or any press at all for that matter. Unless something huge and non-programing related happens at the company SA is not going to get a lot of press period.

it will all be over soon................:wave

Are you thinking before Jan 1st or within the next 5 months as others have said?

Yeah, I head heard it would be 1st quarter 2008 at the latest, but I was wondering if someone had heard it would be sooner.

There are other websites, including the better Business Bureau, complaints.com etc that have "bad press" about sky angel. I think it will get worse in the coming months.
I checked the two web sites and there is only one or two complaints. That would not create a "tempest in a teapot" much less bad press.
Bob

I spoke with SkyAngel today and you will be able to buy the iptv in the first quarter of 08, the equipment we have now will be turn off the second quarter. Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts