Sky Angel IPTV prices now listed

neighbor

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 6, 2006
In the mail today I received from Sky Angel the December 2007 Newsletter. It was a 12 page brochure listing the following prices: Faith Package for $14.99 / month; or Family Package for $19.99 / month; or both Faith and Family Package for $24.99 / month. Free set-top box with an 18-month commitment, or purchase a set-top box for $149. Faith Package lists about 30 TV channels and 17 Radio Channels. Family Package lists 16 including Animal Planet, Blue Highways TV, Discovery Channel, Discovery Home, Discovery Kids, Fox Business, Fox News, Halmark Channel, Halmark Movie Channel, Military Channel, NASA TV, Pentaon Channel, QVC, The Sportsman Channel, Visual Arts Network, and The Weather Channel and "more to come." Fine print: "additional cost for shipping, activation and applicable taxes may apply." Also lists "Give the gift of Sky Angel IPTV for $149" which includes IPTV set-top box, plus 30 days of Family Values Pak Programming ($24.99 value) and shipping & activation ($30.00 value). No indication of when they would ship & activate but it implies right away. Cover is "More Choises: IPTV Subscription Packages" "More Channels: IPTV Faith & Family Lineups." Still nothing in the newsletter gives any mention of changes or termination on current dss satellite services!!!

Last edited:
Spoke with SkyAngel today. We will be able to buy and subscribe to iptv in the first quarter of 08 and current dss satellite services will be terminated the second quarter of 08. Hope this helps.

Interesting phrase "more choices" as it implies that DBS will continue.......

One thing Sky Angel can now do is market their family package as a separate offering. Some people who are not seeking Christian programming and don't want to get a satellite or subscribe to cable might see this IPTV package as a simple, inexpensive alternative. Along with an antenna for local broadcast channels, some would view adding the family IPTV package as a good choice, though, in my opinion, Sky Angel should offer the family package at $14.99 to attract people to that inexpensive option instead of other basic satellite or cable options. And they would probably need ESPN in the package to make it attractive enough.

One thing Sky Angel can now do is market their family package as a separate offering. Some people who are not seeking Christian programming and don't want to get a satellite or subscribe to cable might see this IPTV package as a simple, inexpensive alternative. Along with an antenna for local broadcast channels, some would view adding the family IPTV package as a good choice, though, in my opinion, Sky Angel should offer the family package at $14.99 to attract people to that inexpensive option instead of other basic satellite or cable options. And they would probably need ESPN in the package to make it attractive enough.

I agree, although some of the channels may be too expensive to be able to offer a $14.99 package. I also believe that ESPN would be an important addition, although I understand it is very expensive to carry so maybe Sky Angel could offer a sports package at an affordable price?

I also think the NRB channel would be a valuable addition to the faith package.

We may have to give Sky Angel some time to build their new platform. We can help by subscribing ourselves and telling others about this service.

I have my asbestos underwear on so I'm ready for all of the negative comments. Of course it’s nothing we haven’t already heard anyway.:)

Jeff

Yes, I suspect the family channels are most expensive for Sky Angel to offer. However, hopefully, volume would help SA make up for a more discounted price that would attract people who are looking at basic cable or satellite packages and comparing prices. If I didn't have either satellite or cable and wanted a very basic offering, a $14.99 package I could get without satellite equipment or a cable subscription might be attractive.

And I agree about the sports package. I have a friend who subscribes to Dish only during times of important sports events. I am a Colts season-ticket holder, and with current NFL offerings, I need lots of services, including the NFL Network, if I want to see all the televised games. Not that SA would ever be able to offer the NFL Network, but maybe ESPN and ESPN2, at least.

Jeff, I have my bulletproof armor on, too. I ultimately decided that if I can give my money to cable TV, I can certainly give my money to keep the blessing of a steady diet of God's Word in my days. Motives and outcomes are for the Lord to determine.

Spoke with SkyAngel today. We will be able to buy and subscribe to iptv in the first quarter of 08 and current dss satellite services will be terminated the second quarter of 08. Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting. I guess since they are sticking to their charge for equipment unless you do an 18 month commitment, we will no longer have SA by January 1st.

Dish has put up a notice that their price on the DVR 200 channels is fixed until January 2009. I'm wondering if they are hoping to catch some SA customers that way. I think before it said January 2008. Plus DirecTV has lowered prices on their DVR package. Now, I'm not positive which one we are going with.

Last edited:
IPTV rates caution ...... and re: ESPN

Hi all,

We have loved Sky Angel programming for two years, but feel we're being ripped off royally by them because of our past and future financial investment in their programming. (See my post topic in the main forum if you're interested).
Pertinent to this topic:

RE: rates ...... I was informed by an IPTV representative at Sky Angel today that you will need to buy a box for each TV, (having wireless internet would allow you to watch more than one TV with a box, I guess, but I was told that both TV's would have to be on the same channel). The BIG problem was that she carefully explained that I should know that the monthly rate charge is for EACH BOX. That is, if you have two boxes for two TV's, you'll pay DOUBLE the monthly rate you choose.

That's really no problem if you have one TV, one box, and don't need to worry about two people watching different channels on two TV's.

RE: ESPN .... A Sky Angel agent told me that they would probably never go with any of the major sports networks because of the sleasy ads at games. I have to agree with that one in light of the fact that they're supposed to be Christian oriented. :rolleyes:

Corky

all

Hi all,

We have loved Sky Angel programming for two years, but feel we're being ripped off royally by them because of our past and future financial investment in their programming. (See my post topic in the main forum if you're interested).
Pertinent to this topic:

RE: rates ...... I was informed by an IPTV representative at Sky Angel today that you will need to buy a box for each TV, (having wireless internet would allow you to watch more than one TV with a box, I guess, but I was told that both TV's would have to be on the same channel). The BIG problem was that she carefully explained that I should know that the monthly rate charge is for EACH BOX. That is, if you have two boxes for two TV's, you'll pay DOUBLE the monthly rate you choose.

That's really no problem if you have one TV, one box, and don't need to worry about two people watching different channels on two TV's.

RE: ESPN .... A Sky Angel agent told me that they would probably never go with any of the major sports networks because of the sleasy ads at games. I have to agree with that one in light of the fact that they're supposed to be Christian oriented. :rolleyes:

Corky

hi, here is a ku band system with good rates :)
DSR-410 Digital Programming
good bless
john

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts