EchoStar Loses Distant Network Appeal

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
EchoStar Loses Distant Network Appeal

In a unanimous opinion, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit decided yesterday against EchoStar's challenge to the Federal Communications Commission's "ILLR" methodology by which it is established whether an individual household can receive distant network signals.
The decision comes on the heals of its May ruling in favor of affiliate associations for ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in a copyright lawsuit filed against the satellite TV provider.

Showing its support for the decision, National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) spokesman Dennis Wharton said in a statement that the organization is "pleased the court unanimously rejected EchoStar's challenge to FCC methodology for determining households that are eligible to receive distant network TV signals.

"This opinion affirms the FCC's hard work and expertise in establishing who is fairly eligible to receive such signals and strengthens broadcasting's rich tradition of localism," he said.

Attempts to reach EchoStar for a comment were unsuccessful at press time.

http://www.skyreport.com/?HDPictures.com

Perhaps they realized all they would do is piss off a lot of Congressman with a flood of canned Dish Spam. The law, the courts, the regulators, and the NAB are all against E* on this one. I hear the fat lady warming up...

You may be right, I still say that they need to punish Dish but not punish their customers.

By cutting of distants the only people who lose are the customers.

Of course by fining Dish I guess it means we all pay the fine overtime.

I just want whats best for the consumer.

One thing I noticed is that all the replies folks got back from their senators and congressmen that none of the replies received back had to do anything with the Distant network situation.

I agree...the innocent customers who are legally receiving distant networks will suffer. Of course, I feel no pity for those who are illegally receiving them. I think the channels will be gone by the end of the week.

JohnH said:
The consumers have an alternative. It is DirecTV.

My only worry about that is that the NAB will figure out some scheme to get them off DirecTV somewhere down the road as well. The only Distant Network people would have would be FOX. And I could imagine that DirecTV (And Uncle Rupert) wouldn't mind that at all, they would love to force FOX on people.

The consumers have an alternative. It is DirecTV. Of course, grandfathering would be a thing of the past as perhaps it should be.

Except those of us who just re-upped for another 2 years to get a 622.

Start hammering those Congressmen with emails. Unless the Supreme Court agrees to look at it (good luck), we're screwed.

The only saving grace is that it is an election year. We need a few people stuck in white areas (or areas with less than 4 network affiliates) to raise holy hell about this.

I pointed this out in the other thread:

When the analog shut-off occurs in February, 2009, distant networks as we know them will pretty much cease to exist. It is already in the law books.

I'll just add *C and the NAB and its members can go F*ck themselves. :devil:

NightRyder

Last edited:
NightRyder said:
I'll just add *C and the NAB and their members can go F*ck themselves. :devil:

NightRyder

I already did :D

Nice to have Spokane & Buffalo as nets. If I had a HD unit, I could get Detroit & Seattle in HD too (Buffalo & Spokane are SD only)

Perhaps there's an out clause in the commitment that you signed with Dish. Personally, the 18 month commitment is the main factor in keeping me from upgrading to the 622. FIOS is coming (soon) to my area and offers all the same HD channels as Dish for less money. In addition, Dish has indicated absolutely no interest in putting the Nationals on TV for any price. Every day they become more like the cable companies they claim to be "fighting" against.

Could it be the most complaints come from those which have Local channels with all 5 Networks available?

If D* does cut DNS it will save me $9+tax. I will let them do the cutting. :)

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
I still want to know why they canceled all the Distant Network stuff they had planned.

Something is VERY strange.

E* probably already knew that they were gonna lose the Distant Networks appeal and it's gonna be a lost cause to keep fighting.

RandallA said:
E* probably already knew that they were gonna lose the Distant Networks appeal and it's gonna be a lost cause to keep fighting.
Actually, this news item reveals that Dish Network is still fighting.

This appeal to the courts is Dish Network trying to overturn the use of the ILLR maps. This has nothing to do with the pending litigation.

:( this is a sad day! its just not fair! directv should have been effected just the same. what did dish network have planed? and were do they go from here? i feel both company offered dns in the same way for rv/commercial. did directv bring this in the spotlight to get a edge over dish network? maybe getting them more in the idea of a merger (giving up!)?:confused: i really hope there is some hope left!

"This appeal to the courts is Dish Network trying to overturn the use of the ILLR maps. This has nothing to do with the pending litigation."

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining.

riffjim4069 said:
I agree...the innocent customers who are legally receiving distant networks will suffer. Of course, I feel no pity for those who are illegally receiving them. I think the channels will be gone by the end of the week.

I have a feeling, if, and when they do go away, they will have to hire some CSRs for all the people who will suddenly be moving. :)

hobojoe said:
this is a sad day! its just not fair! directv should have been effected just the same.
DirecTV was affected. The difference is that the lawsuit against DirecTV was resolved by February, 1999. Changes in the laws, as well as countersuits and drawn out delays caused the Dish Network suit to finally be heard in 2002.
hobojoe said:
did directv bring this in the spotlight to get a edge over dish network?
No, because the broadcasters filed suit eight years ago.
hobojoe said:
i really hope there is some hope left!
If the injuction is filed, the only hope is to either have Congress pass a special law restoring distants for those that truly qualify (nullifying the injunction), or to switch to DirecTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)