Echostar to sell VoOm receivers and Programming via VoOm??

Smthkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
ATLANTA
Echostar Programming via VoOm??

Went to a store in ATL. GA called BrandNames USA, saw that they are having a Big sale on ALL HDTV but noticed they where offering a extra $300 off the HD set if you signed on with VoOm. I talked with 5 different salesmen, all who seemed to be on there toes when it came to HD talk, anyway, I mention to each of them that I read articles that stated VoOm was going out of business and that they sold Rainbow 1 and the uplink Center to Dish Network and the remaining assets to Mr. Dolan and his son, so how is it possible for them to be gaining subs by offering this 6 month contract for a failing company. They all said that their VoOm offering is coming from Dish Network. Dish has taken over VoOms programing and have rights to its subs and to distribute VoOm. In other words, VoOm is being backed by Echostar and they are trying to increase the number of subs for VoOm!!! So, it seems like Dish and VoOm has made a deal on the side that no ones now but a select few. All in All, the sales reps where told that VoOm is very much alive and will NOT stop offering HDTV now or in the future!!!

I don't think its true. Nothing has been done between Dish and VOOM, and nothing will be done until they get approval from the FCC.

While this is an interesting idea...It can't be done without proper filing and notification to SEC, cablevison board, FCC etc. Again it is a situtation where salesmen will make up anything to make a sale.

My personal thoughts are that the sales people don't have their facts quite right.

There has been no public announcement that Echostar made an offer for the Voom name, subs, and programming. No FCC or SEC filing that indicates this is true. Only the satellite, uplink center, and licenses for the frequencies are being sold to E*. Also, I doubt Charlie E. would throw cash into Voom because he has his hands full trying to fend off the huge resources D* has at its disposal.

Mr Dolan is making an offer for the Voom name, subs and programming. And we'll probably find out more when there's a press release about whether or not the board enters into a definitive agreement by Feb 28.

Maybe E* is one of Mr Dolan's investors, but I doubt that too. Charlie E. would have problems with his own board if he made a large investment in Voom given the way Wall St feels about Voom.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope not. Personally I don't want E* (or D*) to have their hands on Voom at all.

jame_g said:
My personal thoughts are that the sales people don't have their facts quite right.

There has been no public announcement that Echostar made an offer for the Voom name, subs, and programming. No FCC or SEC filing that indicates this is true. Only the satellite, uplink center, and licenses for the frequencies are being sold to E*. Also, I doubt Charlie E. would throw cash into Voom because he has his hands full trying to fend off the huge resources D* has at its disposal.

Mr Dolan is making an offer for the Voom name, subs and programming. And we'll probably find out more when there's a press release about whether or not the board enters into a definitive agreement by Feb 28.

Maybe E* is one of Mr Dolan's investors, but I doubt that too. Charlie E. would have problems with his own board if he made a large investment in Voom given the way Wall St feels about Voom.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope not. Personally I don't want E* (or D*) to have their hands on Voom at all.
Actually, they did announce that E* made a deal a while ago about programming from Cablevision, do a search of the forum and you will see!!!!

Ronald_Jeremy said:
mass merchant salesmen are freaking idiots.

Go back and quiz them about hd resolution. They can't tell you the difference between sh*t and shinola!!!
Did it all ready and they all passed with flying colors, I even made them explain to me the difference of progressive scan and interlace, believe it or not but they actually gave me the correct response with stumbling for words or contridicting himself!! :yes

Voom,, E*, left, right, down, up, who cares. Truth is these sales poeple are trying to make a buck, plain and simple, most likely trying to get rid of their Voom stock! That is why you never buy according to a salesperson!

There is NO way any salesman knows more about whats going on than Sean or Scott. Delete this thread it is gross missinformation.

Smthkd said:
Actually, they did announce that E* made a deal a while ago about programming from Cablevision, do a search of the forum and you will see!!!!

Yes, but I believe this announcement was for distribution of the traditional cable networks owned by cablevision: AMC, WE, IFC, Fuse and regional sports networks. (It also mentioned that similar agreements were reached with D* and other cable networks.)

This is quite different than E* taking over Voom/Voom programming which Cablevision wants out of totally.

Hard for me to believe this story will i guess not hard to believe it was a sales pitch.

i agree, it would have to be approved by the FCC

Scott Greczkowski said:
I don't think its true. Nothing has been done between Dish and VOOM, and nothing will be done until they get approval from the FCC.

and that isn't even on the table as far as I know

Correct it is not on the table. Dish is buting the satellite and one of the uplinks, thats it. Not the programming, not the customers, not the technology. All of that is being given to Mr Dolan.

Voom will live on. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Correct it is not on the table. Dish is buting the satellite and one of the uplinks, thats it. Not the programming, not the customers, not the technology. All of that is being given to Mr Dolan.

Voom will live on. :D
Well, take it or leave it, I was just passing along what I saw and heard with my own ears. I've been on every forum and have followed all this HDTV carrier hoopla since Voom came on the seen, D* first HD broadcast of HDNet and E* and D* propossed merger, so, Im not easily convinced yet I took these guy on a questioning SAT test and I drilled them for 2 hrs on all subjects and for them to have the right answers and understand what going on with D*,E*, and V* I felt like sharing this interesting news to everyone. If its true, so be it, if not so be it! It was just interesting! I too thought the Dolans were given the subs and programming but when I mention all those fact I was shocked when the saleman was able to finish what I was telling him, as if he was very familiar with the past news events, not just him but all 5 people I talked too. But anyways, it was just info, whether it was BS or not!!

Smthkd said:
There is no question that BrandSmart and the company doing business as Voom (RainbowDBS/Cablevision) are offering a rebate offer and that's all the ad proves.

What is wrong in the story you presented here is the connection to Echostar/Dish Network. The Voom offer is NOT coming from Dish Network. Dish HAS NOT taken over Voom's programming or subscribers. Voom is NOT being backed by Echostar (other than giving Cablevision $200mil for Rainbow1, Blackhawk SD, and related FCC licenses).

Voom HD LLC (Charles Dolan and his backers) have the offer on the table to buy "the rest of Voom" from Cablevision. Not Echostar.

The only programming deal done by Cablevision was for their SD networks that are already part of E*, D* and most cable company's services. Not the HD service lovingly known as VoOm. (Jame_g got that right.)

What you hear was so wrong and so easy to prove wrong that it makes one wonder where the salespeople are pulling that information from. Is there a website spreading those lies as the truth? Not this site.

JL

Smthkd said:
Here's the website:
and $300 VoOm mail in rebate form:
There is good news. The dates on the form are from Feb 9th to Apr 30th with install by May 31st, 2005. The dates on the advert (in tiny print) is through Mar 1st.

Challenge: Find the word ECHOSTAR anywhere on the rebate form.
The copyright is Rainbow DBS Company LLC - which is Cablevision, not E*.

Hope we can keep the record straight.

JL

justalurker said:
There is good news. The dates on the form are from Feb 9th to Apr 30th with install by May 31st, 2005. The dates on the advert (in tiny print) is through Mar 1st.

Challenge: Find the word ECHOSTAR anywhere on the rebate form.
The copyright is Rainbow DBS Company LLC - which is Cablevision, not E*.

Hope we can keep the record straight.

JL
New Challenge:
Why would Rainbow DBS Company LLC start a rebate program if they intend to sell off all rights, assets and any programming to the competition? Hmmmm! Especially 1 week before announcing a deal to sell to Echostar! :eek: Seems a little stupid to me if Im trying to save my company money from a gold-digging trick like VoOm :yes :D
By the way, I dont disagree with you, just trying to figure out stupid decisions made by good old ex-Voom owners! :p Its just weird to hear sales-reps claim E* and V* and working together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)