Economical OTA Recording Equipment?

Discussion in 'Over the Air TV By RabbitEars.Info' started by Lone Gunman, Jun 25, 2019.

1. danristheman

danristheman SatelliteGuys Pro

They are all the same except for inputs on the back.

2. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014! Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And Channel Master has sold OTA DVRs. Not sure of their current model, but I bought two of the previous model and they work great and no EPG fee. Yep-EPG is free over the Internet or if no Internet they will use OTA PSIP.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

3. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

OUCH! That Channel Master stuff is made out of gold isn't it. :oldwink Thanks for the reply but I guess I'll just stick to the Homeworx stuff since it's cheaper and most here have a positive opinion of the stuff.

TheKrell likes this.
  4. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

The Channel Master stuff works and it is generally pretty slick (though not every iteration has been a winner). The ViewTV and Homeworx stuff is not very slick at all. Sometimes you get what you pay for; sometimes you wish you'd skipped a step in the learning process.

I ended up opting for a lifetime Plex Pass after tinkering with a ViewTV.

You may have to build the storaqe system as smaller USB drives become harder to find.

5. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

Found out today on a Homeworx forum that some of the HW180STBs are for viewing or playback only, no record function?? :eek Guy on fleabay had one that was a new "open box" that he had never used that he was trying to sell for $25. That's when I went searching and found out that it wouldn't record. Some of the later models of the HW180 will record and playback but I'm not exactly sure how to tell the difference because some of the ads are a little vague.

So maybe I just better back off on this for a bit to get my old head straight before I spend money on something I can't use.

6. primestar31

primestar31 SatelliteGuys Master

You have to add an external USB harddrive to it, before it'll record. There could be some people that don't know that.

TheKrell and comfortably_numb like this.
  7. ken2400

ken2400 SatelliteGuys Pro

Just remember if you get a HomeworX 150PVR it may delete the a given set of channels it it can not receive them. It may also delete recurring timed events from time to time. Good luck.

8. Corrado

Corrado SatelliteGuys Pro

Before I got my Edision Mio receiver I used one of those inexpensive OTA boxes for time shifting overnight programming. It doesn't even show a brand, just ATSC on the front. It works fine with a 32GB flash drive. Programming is manual like a VCR , channel, date, time etc. For $30 spent I have no complaints other than a 1 hour HD program is in the neighborhood of 5-6 GB, SD is 1+GB file size from my local networks due to it's file format.

9. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

Few DVRs transcode (convert from one compression scheme to a different compression scheme) so you can blame the ATSC for choosing MPEG2 when they decided on a compression format.

10. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014! Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, if you’re REALLY cheap, you can get an old ATSC to NTSC converter box and feed a VCR. Plenty of those in pawn shops if you don’t have one.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

11. Ypsiguy

Ypsiguy SatelliteGuys Family

I use a ViewTV AT-163 setup on a separate antenna. Cheap and it encodes the DVR files into MPEG4 AVC H.264, which can be played just about everywhere. Small enough to use a USB thumb drive as a DVR drive.

30 minutes of 480i video is only about 500MB. One hour of 1080i HD is slightly less than 4GB.

Separate names with a comma.

More...