ED Plasmas / SD or HD service??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MarkG

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
ED plasmas have finally hit a price point where I might be interested. I have seen them on display in the stores and they look awsome,and quite close to the HDs sitting next to them. But they are being fed with an HD signal(not D*), converted to their native resolution of 480p . They also look great with 480p component attached or HDMI attached upconverter DVD players. But I watch way more DTV than DVDs. All the SD direct TV equipment only have S-video (am I correct?) . Is it even worth buying an ED plasma ? Will the ED be of benefit on an SD S-video receiver ? Would it be worth it or advisable to upgrade to HD service and HDMI attached HD receiver just for an ED ? (I have no interest in rear projection HD of any type at any price). And finally,since a direct TV HD receiver can receive all the SD channels on 101 as well as the HD stuff,(am I correct?) could I benefit from at least using an HD receiver so I can use the HDMI connection,without actually upgrading to the HD service and dish? (Can I do that?)

I can sum this up real easy, you can buy a top rated and reviewed 84" - 200" HD projector & screen for $2000 or a HD 65" RPTV for about the same. I would NEVER waste money on an EDTV. Go ahead a step right up to the HD or wait till the HD version of the specific make & model you must be wanting drops into your range.

charper1,plywodstaebum,thanks for replies.Don't misunderstand me,I appreciate your input ,but I have seen all the projection systems of all sizes both screen and rearpro TV ,DLP,LCD etc .
None interest me or fit my need.. Do not want to start debate on what display is better. Looking for info on 42" ED plasma and how well will work on Direct TV. Thanks.

Will work just as well as any other display for SD. You would be better served saving up a bit more and getting an HD set. You will be disappointed with ED when you REALLY want HD. Think of it as you having to buy 2 TV sets in the end.

So if I may ask, how are your needs being met by an inferior set that is costing you many times more than what it delivers in resolution or quality? Why the need to have the word PLASMA in your specs? Now I am not saying don't get your plasma, but at least rake out the cheese on the HD version instead of wasting the money on ED, otherwise just pick any anonymous address from the phonebook and send them your money or heck send it to me; it will serve you about as well.

In other words, why are you so intent on throwing your hard earned money away? Just WAIT till you can afford the HD plasma! I mean I can at least understand why some people have to be able to say to their buddies "I have a plasma set", but don't be hung out there with a crappy one when you show it to them!

EDTV Plasma supporter

I disagree. I own an EDTV Plasma with the Directv HD Tivo receiver and the HD channels are displayed in clear, crisp content. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between an EDTV and HDTV. If you can afford HDTV, get it. However, if not don't feel that you won't be happy with an EDTV.

Charper1,,again thanks for your input,but you are not answering my questions,you are trying to debate HD vs.ED . Not the point of this thread. The question was how to get the best results on an ED panel from Direct TV service. If you can address that issue,your answers to the specific questions would be most welcome,as you seem to be an expert. Otherwise,we are just wasting time. Also,in regard to plasma or projection,since I already stated my preference, a debate on that issue is also unnecessary at this time. But really would appreciate any help on the issues at hand,,thanks much.

MarkG said:
Is it even worth buying an ED plasma?

You ARE asking as if you hadn't made up you mind; and my answer was NO, it is NOT worth it for the cost.

Will the ED be of benefit on an SD S-video receiver?

Once again, NO, not at the cost of an ED plasma. In some instances you may be harming you picture.

Would it be worth it or advisable to upgrade to HD service and HDMI attached HD receiver just for an ED?
OK, here it least there is some very minor use, but at a ridiculous cost just to get 480p.

And finally,since a direct TV HD receiver can receive all the SD channels on 101 as well as the HD stuff,(am I correct?) could I benefit from at least using an HD receiver so I can use the HDMI connection,without actually upgrading to the HD service and dish? (Can I do that?)

Almost the same answer here, why pay all that money for something that you are NOT going to use, or that will not give you the full resolution?

You keep using the word WORTH and that is what kills all your arguments about using this set. For the money, if you use a SD receiver to this plasma you are in total overkill, but then if you use this set for HD or just to have a receiver with HDMI outputs, then you are throwing money away at something that has absolutely no added value for you. This is why I asked how come this set is so etched in stone for you considering all of its weaknesses in you scenarios? I am trying to see why you would spend thousands on something that doesn't give you that WORTH in return. If it is just because you like it, and its worth doesn't meany anything, then by all means get the plasma and feed it with the HD package and the HDMI output. That will give you the best pictures possible with your scenarios.

charper1, I am sorry to say, this is the very first time I have ever even thought of disagreeing with you. I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for you and know your knowledge and skills are very excellent and professional. In fact, I have learned a great deal from you myself. However, I honestly don't think you have seen the latest ED 42" plasmas. They look terrific. A year ago you were 100% correct. And maybe not all manufacturers have caught up to the few ED models that can display 5000:1 contrast ratio that have other distinct processes to improve image quality.

We have only one ED display in our otherwise 100% HD store. It's LG's 5000:1 contrast ratio 42" ED plasma on our plasma wall surrounded by Hitachi, Pioneer and other LG HD plasmas and no one can pick out the ED display. All of our displays are run from one LSS-3200A on the HD DISCOVERY channel through a 24 output 1080i component video distribution amplifier.

Personally and professionally I am as surprised as anyone who may read this and if I was reading it without actually seeing it I don't think I would believe it my self. But it is absolutely true. I would enjoy and warmly welcome a forum member to visit to my store and see for themselves and post their opinion.

If the display was larger, or didn't have the very smooth gradation and detail rendered form dark to darker areas and dark to light or didn't have all of the other image enhancing processes employed it could not look as great as it actually does. But low an behold this ED plasma actually look just about as good as almost any high priced HD.

The only thing I actually hate about this terrific TV is that it kills our 42 HD plasma sales and we make far less money on selling a $2,200. TV vs. a $3200. HD plasma.

To directly answer Mark's question, you definitely want a HD STB.

-Robert

VE Advanced Digital Technologies Dealer

Charper1 ,thanks,,just wanted to stay focused.Buying or not buying an ED plasma is NOT etched in stone,thats why I am posting. I am fully aware of all the other choices and costs. All the HD alternatives are just not the issue at this time,as the HD plasmas I would consider are just not in the budget and won't be for a long time,and the projection systems ,though more affordable, as far as I'm concerned, are as big a compromise in their own way,and do not appeal to me enough to spend ANY money on. Thanks for your opinions,and taking time to write.

quote: "To directly answer Mark's question, you definitely want a HD STB."

Robert, HD STB ? By that do you mean,if I do pop for an ED, to upgrade to the HD service,or just to a receiver with an HDMI??

Mark, if you want ED that is fine. You will need HD service, it will very much worth it - just think about correct use of whole width of you plasma without any streching. You will really appreciate it. Consider component or Dvi inputs instead of S-video. Robert is very correct about newest EDs. But as for me I will never take it. Why? Because I know what I am losing compare to full HD.

Roycap said:
I disagree. I own an EDTV Plasma with the Directv HD Tivo receiver and the HD channels are displayed in clear, crisp content. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between an EDTV and HDTV. If you can afford HDTV, get it. However, if not don't feel that you won't be happy with an EDTV.
Cant tell ? i have 4 hdtv and returned a edtv back to circuit city when my 11 year old even saw the difference, which is why i now have 4 hdtv. There is definitely a difference, if you are really trying to save money then go for it but if you want HD then the ED will not be up to snuff. There is a major difference in 480p versus 720p and or 1080I if everything is set up correctly. i cant agree with anyone that would say that say there is no noticeable difference as i tried to save a few hundred dollars on my kids playroom tv and as i stated my 11 year old noticed the difference but as robert has stated technology changes daily in this hobby and facts today are olds news tomorrow, so go with your budget and if your eyes say its ok then it is, you are the one that has to look at it

If you have a ED TV and use a SD STB you will only get 480i via the composite "S" video connection. If you get a HD STB you will enjoy 480p resolution and be able to separate the red/green/blue video channels, which will greatly improve your image quality as you will have far better separation and of the RGB colors.

You will also be able to receive all of the HD channels and display them in near HD image quality. EDTV's will never be obsolete

-Robert

Well Robert I can tell the difference between 720p & 1080i vs 480p, I looked at every thing there was to look at right before I bout my PLV-Z3. There is no justification on the money spent just for 480p to me and I really can tell the difference.

I do agree with you that EDTV will not become obsolete in the near future, that being that they will be the new standand "minimum" definition.

When you project on to a 106" screen their is a very big difference between ED and HD. But on a 42" direct view latest technology advanced EDTV you can barely see any difference when the TV's are on the same HD or SD channel directly next to each other.

I know it's true because I look at it every day for the past 7 months. Honestly, if anyone told me I would not be able to see the difference between HD and Ed I would be very %&*$# off.

These new advanced technology very high contrast ratio 42" plasma EDTVs render HD image quality. Today's modern high end 42" EDTV is your best price/performance product.

-Robert

VE Advanced Digital Technology Dealer

To all 42" HD advocates. The issue was been beaten up to death on AVS forum. From 7-8 ft viewing distance you won't see any difference between ED and HD TV showing 720p or 1080i signal. 50" (or larger) is another story and nobody makes 50" EDTV plasma sets.
I agree 100% with Robert here. Unless your viewing distance is shorter then 7ft, buy ED plasma + HD receiver.

charper1 said:
Well Robert I can tell the difference between 720p & 1080i vs 480p, I looked at every thing there was to look at right before I bout my PLV-Z3. There is no justification on the money spent just for 480p to me and I really can tell the difference.

I do agree with you that EDTV will not become obsolete in the near future, that being that they will be the new standand "minimum" definition.

Agree totally with you. If you can't afford the extra for the HD, save a bit more and get the real thing. There is a decidedly obvious difference between ED and HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts