Educate me please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

srober

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Question about artifacts

A week ago I purchased a projector to watch DVD's and Sporting events on a 100" screen. I was amazed with the quality of the DVD's, it was theater like! A few days later I purchase a Svideo cable (best output the directv receiver had) to hook up to the projector, btw its the Infocus 4805. Automatically I could see the PQ was not going to be the same as the DVD's which I could understand, its not the same resolution I guess.

What really bothered me was the artifacts on the football field and the players when trying to watch the game, it was too distracting. It looked fine as long as the camera was doing a closeup. Is this do the the directv compression everyone keeps talking about? Is HD going to clean that up whenever I get the funds to buy the equipment?

Its funny but after watching everything in 100" you go back to the smaller tv's and you can see the same artifacts. I just never paid attention before.

One more question. According to Attennaweb.org I live on the average about 24miles from the local stations. Is the OTA attenna that comes with the Directv HD package any good? I always had OK success the last time I used a outdoor attenna but that was 12 years ago. The woods behind my house since then has been flatten for a subdivision. I still live in a hilly area.

According to Attennaweb they recommend a medium to large with preamp multidirectional antenna.

See it for yourself.

I am in no way slamming your purchase but the InFocus 4805 is a lower-rez projector. It is only a WSVGA 854x480 DLP and the best reviewer I found still says "The lower resolution of the Screenplay 4805 might leave home theater enthusiasts feeling that they might see the notorious screen door effect" - a term used to describe the pixelization you mention. The BenQ PB7200 is a great entry level upgrade from the 4805 that won't break the bank.

www.projectorsolution.com

Why is it I dont see the pixelization while watching DVD's or playing games? Its only when watching TV that I see the artifacts. I thought screendoor effects was more directed to LCD projectors? This is DLP which may cause rainbow effects but I have yet to see it. If you look close enough on a normal 27" screen you can see the same effects, you just have to look closer.

My question is this due to Directv compression that everyone been talking about lately. Would HD help with that or will I see a better looking artifact? :p

The compression used by DirecTV, Dish, Voom, and even digital cable will certainly cause artifacts at the bitrates they are using for SD. It becomes especially noticeable on a larger screen. Honestly, I wouldn't expect SD to improve. HD will be significantly better, though honestly, HD may not look any better on your projector than DVDs do. It just doesn't have the resolution to take advantage of it.

What you are seeing is not "screendoor". That is a by-product of LCD technology, usually seen in cheaper LCD projectors. (I'm surprised a professional critic would see it from a DLP projector. Cheaper DLP projectors have a different problem called "rainbowing".)

You are seeing the effect of over-compression that satellite providers are using more often to fit more channels in their limited satellite space. The distortion is always more visible during scenes of action or movement.

Hopefully, compression methods will improve, enabling them to jam every local channel for every podunk town in their birds, while maintaining a proper minimum standard of PQ.

Thanks for the quick reply. If HD will make the screen look better at atleast DVD quality then I would be very happy. DVD looks awesome on this screen and my DVD player does not even have progressive scan.

Back to the attenna question if I pick up HD OTA would that elimate the compression factor? Any recommendations on attennas is the one that directv sells any good?

Thanks

Overcompression can happen anywhere, even OTA. But in general, OTA has a better chance of not being overcompressed compared to satellite or cable. It just depends on whether your local broadcasters multicast or not. Some squeeze additional sub-channels into their signal, which reduces the bandwidth available to the HD feed.

I have no idea what DirecTV provides... I think they are only offering OTA antennas in certain markets. It may even vary by the installer.

I read it, I have read many reviews before making the purchase and this is the first time I have read about a screen door effect on the DLP projector. Ah well I dont see it and thats all that matters. Im thinking about borrowing my dads outdoor attenna he never uses it just too see if I can see a difference between Directv signal and ota as far as the artifacting is consern.

I can't comment from personal experience with DirecTV HD PQ (I have Dish Network). But, there have been many posts complaining about DirecTV recently squeezing more HD channels on each transponder, thus reducing HD PQ. (There have been similar complaints regarding Dish, as well.)

However, I'm sure you will find that SD looks much better using the digital OTA tuner compared to the satellite-provided local. I'd bet a dollar on that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)