Effective Operating Distrance Between UHF Remote Control and Hopper/Joey...

Maybe a cable to each antenna area back to a multi-way (say 4-way) hub, amplified. (Do they make such?) In this case, amplify the combined signal and not worry about the individual ones unless you want backup to remote, in which case you would have to move each remote to before hub say once a week and manually invoke the backups. FWIW
-Ken

Every one needs to remember that the remote antenna on the Hopper is two way communication. It needs to be able to both receive AND TRANSMIT.

Reactions: charlesrshell
EXTENDING UHF CABLE P/N 169178 MORE THAN 10 FT

Just ran across thread. Have problem with distant UHF signals on new Hopper system. I assume the P/N 168178 cable has male and female M10 connectors at each end to fit the new design UHF antenna. If I get the cable as recommended with the correct ends can I make it even longer cable by cutting it in two and splicing in R6 cables with the conventional F connectors in between the M10 connectors?

Just ran across thread. Have problem with distant UHF signals on new Hopper system. I assume the P/N 168178 cable has male and female M10 connectors at each end to fit the new design UHF antenna. If I get the cable as recommended with the correct ends can I make it even longer cable by cutting it in two and splicing in R6 cables with the conventional F connectors in between the M10 connectors?

I have a couple extra UHF signal extender cables that I purchased from Dish. The P/N on the bags is 169178. The cable appears to be RG6 to me. The info on the cable is E233577 Holland Electronics. It appears to me that RG6 connectors will work. I don't know if making the UHF extender cable longer will work or not. If you don't get any answers let me know and I will cut one in half and add a splice then test it out. Let me know about how long you need to extend the UHF antenna if you want me to try it out.

Last edited:
Got the number wrong, yours is right. The service bulletin clearly says the connector is m10 not f. Coarse vs fine thread. Will order some if I can

I haven't re-read the other thread covering the Hopper antenna extension, but, is there any way that an amplified UHF rabbit ears might work? I would guess not, but not sure. I can modify one of my spare Hopper extender cables by cutting the coax and install a RG6 connector and then connect it to an amplified rabbit ear with a straight thru connector. I have a couple of cheap amplified Radio Shack rabbit ears that worked great when with my previous VIP722k setup that I can use to test it out. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3611256. Any thoughts are does anyone know for sure this setup will not work?

Zeigh, Dr. Z, have you tried out anything else for your setup?

Never thought about the locator, use that a lot. But what is remote backup?
Once a week the Hopper backs up all it's settings and timers to the 1st remote, you can also do it manually. If your Hopper dies, you just restore the settings to the replacement.

Once a week the Hopper backs up all it's settings and timers to the 1st remote, you can also do it manually. If your Hopper dies, you just restore the settings to the replacement.

Actually all the remotes paired to a Hopper update once a week. I ran a test several months ago on all my remotes checking the last backup dates. One of my Hoppers has eight remotes paired to it alone and they pretty much update once a week, + or - a couple of days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts