EHD availible now on VIP222k

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

antonyrivers

Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
michigan
I am a new Dish customer and foolishly signed up for service without a DVR, thinking I could use my TIVO instead.

After painfully trying to get it to record 2 shows without success, I decided to call Dish and see if I can upgrade.

The customer service guy said that EHD is an option on my model, VIP222k.

I was surprised being that I have read all over that I wasn't going to have that option and was thinking I was going to pay out to get the VIP722k.

He did offer a free upgrade to the VIP622, but I declined and opted for the $39 EHD fee being there is no recurring fee.

Hopefully this helps anyone similar going through this dilemma.

Last edited:
I doubt it, since Charlie and Jim just said that it wasn't available yet and may be in the coming months, as they are still writing the software to make it happen. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding or you're miscommunicating. ViP211k perhaps?

We'd need some proof that it is working on the 222k since the owner of the company said otherwise only a few days ago.

Last edited:
...Charlie and Jim just said that it wasn't available yet and may be in the coming months, as they are still writing the software to make it happen.

That's the first I've heard Charlie say about EHD on the 222 in a long time. There's a glimmer of hope, I guess.

Q: Doel...I bought a ViP 222K , I need to know when it will be ready to record onto an External Hard Drive via the USB port?
A: Available now on the 211, need to finish writing the software to, probably the first of the year before it is available for the 222k, check out the next Tech Forum, our engineers could maybe answer this.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/190636-charlie-chat-recap-10-12-09-a.html

not being able to add an ehd on the 222 is the reason why I sent it back. The CSR initially told me that you could so I asked for it. The come to find out you could. So I sent it back was was given the 211 instead (have not added a ehd yet though).

They offered the 622 but I didn't want to pay the additional $5/month forever (already have a 622 for my main tv). It's hooked up to a tv on the 3rd floor that I don't watch that often.

Why should Dish add EHD to the 222 when that would make it essentially a 722k without a monthly DVR fee.

My bet is that it never happens.

The 211 fills in an empty spot for a single sat tuner DVR, the 211 would be redundant and counter profitable.

Charlie himself stated in the last Chat that the 211 (well, actually a few more models that are discontinued, I think) is currently the only box supporting EHD recording. Charlie tried to say that it would be coming soon to the 222K, but Jim kept interrupting him trying to keep him from saying that, but Charlie still kept saying, "but it has to have a software download for that to work." Jim again tried to talk over Charlie as if Jim didn't want Charlie talking about the 222K getting EHD recroding anytime soon. It was funny to watch.

Why should Dish add EHD to the 222 when that would make it essentially a 722k without a monthly DVR fee.

My bet is that it never happens.

The 211 fills in an empty spot for a single sat tuner DVR, the 211 would be redundant and counter profitable.

It may never happen for the dual tuners, but more because of the limitations of Dish's choice of USB over eSATA for EHD recording on dual tuner boxes (or 4 tuner boxes with a 222K and the installed OTA module). Also, Dish is spending TONS of $$ replacing DVR's that only need to have new HDD's in an otherwise "perfectly" working box. Dish's RMA centers are massive and costly, and the RMA's for DVR's cost the most. There is a savings for Dish to realize with EHD DVR's, but they still have to have internal HDD models for those who prefer them--the least technically inclined. I think this is why the EHD recording 211 has no montly DVR fee because when the EHDD fails, the subscriber can go out spend the big bucks replacing the HDD, not Dish's problem and no RMA costs.

I doubt it, since Charlie and Jim just said that it wasn't available yet and may be in the coming months, as they are still writing the software to make it happen. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding or you're miscommunicating. ViP211k perhaps?

We'd need some proof that it is working on the 222k since the owner of the company said otherwise only a few days ago.

Charlie also said that "The only reason to have a phone line hooked up to your receiver was to order pay-per-view."
So I really don't think that Charlie is in the loop at dish. As techs we are told to tell the customer that it is needed for updates and set top health readings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts