EHD FAQ?

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
Didn't we have a sticky or something at one point about the external hard drive questions? I've never activated the feature, but my wife asked if she could take an EHD from the living room (VIP622) to the bedroom (VIP612) and I THOUGHT I had read where that combination you couldn't go back and forth, but I couldn't find the information. (wow...that was a long sentence...sorry)

And Dish's web site doesn't seem to make any mention of this.
http://www.dishnetwork/ehd

Didn't we have a sticky or something at one point about the external hard drive questions? I've never activated the feature, but my wife asked if she could take an EHD from the living room (VIP622) to the bedroom (VIP612) and I THOUGHT I had read where that combination you couldn't go back and forth, but I couldn't find the information. (wow...that was a long sentence...sorry)

And Dish's web site doesn't seem to make any mention of this.
http://www.dishnetwork/ehd

Yes, you can move between the 612/622/722/722K. But, it will not be compatible with the 211/K, which requires seperate activiation fee.

Are you sure about 612 vs. 622? I just tried it (from 622 to 612) and I got an error that it could only be used by one receiver at a time and I could reformat for the 612. A Dish CSR chat said that the model numbers had to be the same. I'd LOVE to be wrong...

K is black and a touch smaller. That's all.

I think the K has a bit more technology in it (perhaps a different chip), specifically Sling. Meaning that it should be able to use the "waffle" (I can't remember the offical name) device right out of the box.

EHD can be shared among any and all of the VIP DVR receivers (612/622/722/722k).

If you get a reformat message, call Dish and have them send a re-authorization "hit" to the offending receiver.

Dish EHD uses a household key to determine if the EHD can be used, the re-hit renews that key and it should start working.