EHD for Wally?

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
I want to replace my current EHD with a better/better one and I have a few questions. I had issues with my current EHD with the sequencing of turning it on. My current EHD is a desktop HD in an enclosure that has a power on/off button. The one shown below do not, so I want to make sure I will not have issues with a new EHD. Also will I have to pay the $40 fee again if I install a new EHD?

Amazon product ASIN B07CRG7BBH

I can't tell if it has an external power supply.

The amperage from Dish receiver's USB ports is not always adequate to power all the functions of an EHD so Dish recommends using only EHD's with their own power supply.

A powered hub would supply the power if necessary.

I can't tell if it has an external power supply.

The amperage from Dish receiver's USB ports is not always adequate to power all the functions of an EHD so Dish recommends using only EHD's with their own power supply.

A powered hub would supply the power if necessary.

The power issue is the main reason I am asking. This is the one that Dish recommends on their website. For some reason I can't paste the link to Amazon. It is the Seagate 1TB portable EHD.

How does a powered hub work? Especially the cable connections. Also what amperage will I need for the EHD?

Last edited:
Reactions: joewhite57
The power issue is the main reason I am asking. This is the one that Dish recommends on their website. For some reason I can't paste the link to Amazon. It is the Seagate 1TB portable EHD.

How does a powered hub work? Especially the cable connections. Also what amperage will I need for the EHD?

A powered hub has its own DC plug in adapter to power the drive and passes the data back and forth to the receiver.

A powered hub has its own DC plug in adapter to power the drive and passes the data back and forth to the receiver.

I am still confused. I have several powered hubs, but they are only used for power. How does the data get back and forth from the EHD to the Wally?

For some reason I cannot see links anymore.

Last edited:
I am still confused. I have several powered hubs, but they are only used for power. How does the data get back and forth from the EHD to the Wally?

Note pinout, where power is separate from the data.

1024px-USB.svg.png

For some reason I cannot see links anymore.

IMG_1132.JPG
This is a pic of an inexpensive powered hub I used in the past. It has a total of 7 USB ports. A FireWire connector, and a DC connector. The FireWire cable has male usb on the other end to connect to a pc or to a receiver USB port.

A powered USB hub has a cable for data to your device (receiver), a power cable usually to a wall wart for power and multiple USB in ports to connect devices.

It is sort of a version of a network hub but it has USB connections instead of RJ-45 connectors on it.

I believe what you are calling powered hubs are really just USB power ports used for charging cell phones and the like. They pass no data and are not hubs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)