EHD maximum for 211k

panache70

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Western Hemisphere
So my 10 yr old 1TB EHD just died. I had a WD MyBook which was about the size of a brick. Seems anything 2TB or less from WD is now considered "portable" and is the size of an iphone. Not sure if these "portable" ones will work well with a 211k. I believe the EHD cannot fall into sleep mode, and I dont want this small portable drive to overheat. Can I go to 3TB or 4TB on a 211k? This way I can keep WD as the manufacturer with the same sized "brick" drive that I used to have. If not, any other alternatives? I cannot order the 2tb drive on Dish's website for geographical reasons... funny how they seem to have stock on the WD 2tb brick size... Cant find them anywhere where I am.

The portable 2TB drives will work. I just recommended a WD My Passport 2TB to someone with a 211k not too long ago. Just make sure that the portable drive uses USB 3.0 though. USB 2.0 is the minimum for self-powered drives, but the portable ones seem to require USB 3.0 to work properly, based on what others have posted here. Unfortunately, the upper limit for the ViP receivers is still 2TB, so those 3TB or 4TB drives would not work. (It is possible that the receiver may recognize the drive, but only format 2TB worth of the drive for use. However, I would not waste the money trying that, especially if there is a chance that the receiver will not recognize the drive at all.)

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks, was afraid the portable drives would overheat, as they need to always be on with a 211k. Had heard that some portable ones also were no good, due to sleep mode triggering after a certain amount of time. Will try the 2tb passport. Thanks!

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts