EHD menu suggestion for deleting recordings

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tase

Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
or
hello. This is for DIRT members if they are reading this.

I suggest making it simpler to delete EHD recordings after watching them. Right now, this is what happens, on either my 612 or 722k receivers:

- find EHD recording to watch in the list
- select it and hit Play
- after playback ends, the options are either to Start Over, or Done
- hit Done, and now I'm back to the top of the EHD list
- find the same EHD recording again
- select it and hit Delete

The problem here is that it is sometimes difficult to be sure I have selected the correct EHD recording to delete after watching it. If there are several recordings of the same series (and especially if they are recorded out-of-sequence, i.e. reruns) then it is sometimes necessary to hit Info button on several and check which one was the correct episode I just watched.

Can we get a Delete option along with the existing Play/Resume/Start Over options that appear after an EHD playback ends?

For events recorded to the internal disk, there is already such a Delete option after playback, but it is missing from the EHD screens.

Thanks

I agree with the delete option. Maybe a protect option, too, or some way to flag which have been seen.

I suggest you note the recording number, like 58 of 200, before you play it and then you will be able to find it again for deleting.

It would be nice if you could see that number after you have started play.

Better yet, would be to return to where you were in the list--even if you delete it. Then you can do a whole series of recordings--viewing and/or deleting and not have to remember anything.

A button return to top or bottom would help and that could satisfy everyone. Currently for the internal you can use "1" to get to the top and "9" used to be to the bottom. Actually, back on the 811 and maybe the 921, you could use numbers 1 to 9 to go to (n-1)/8 of the way down the list. That feature seems to have been lost along the way. I use the "1" key all the time on the internal and only have to move down a few items to get to the Media selection for the external replay list after browsing the internal.

Of course, not all works exactly right. My older 722 will return to the internal list after deleting an EHD recording or something else like that. It means you have to give DVR+DVR+6+2+1 to get back to the top of the EHD list, a pain. Then you may have to page down 40 times to get to the recording, again, if you still remember where it was.

One more, why can we not have the swap button alternate between date order and name order like on the internal? It currently uses the order from the internal. But you have to go from EHD to internal, swap, and the to EHD to change the order. I thank you for the choice, just make it easier.

-Ken

A trick that works on my setup (211 with EHD ) is to hit STOP during the final credits. This takes you back to a menu where one of the options is to DELETE.

Jim

But where does that leave you in the list? If you had a bunch to delete it would not be bad if you could "play" stop delete and still be on the next item in the list. If it takes you to the top again, then it is still annoying.

A good catch though.
-Ken

If I go into MY DVR then scroll down the list to an item, select it, then delete it after the deletion is confirmed I am still in my list at either just below or above where the deleted item was.

Could the functionality be better, yes, but what I really would like would be a key on the remote to turn closed captions on and off.

I think some of the EHD suggestions are just too much to be honest. A simple delete button added after a program ends as first suggested is the best answer. I actually don't care so much if it goes back to the top of the list or not. Not sure what the closed caption has to with it?

I tried the STOP after playing from the EHD on my 722. It took me to item 1 of the whole list and did not stick on the item opened in its group, which is what I hoped for. So that STOP trick may only work for the 212. Though I'll have to try it on the newer 722.

A pain on this 2TB drive with lots of recordings is that each time you exit a recording it re-indexes the entire list--buffer too small? It is not noticeable on the other drives.
-Ken

I think some of the EHD suggestions are just too much to be honest. A simple delete button added after a program ends as first suggested is the best answer. I actually don't care so much if it goes back to the top of the list or not. Not sure what the closed caption has to with it?
I think the real problem.. is that they don't go back and look at their use of the features. They just create features.. and not follow though logically ...

And its not just the delete and where you are in the list that are problems.. other issues for ease of operation have come up ... killing a recording on Tuner2, mute issue more and more an annoyance, movement between local drive and ehd ... ie.. don't group your recordings and you have to go in through DVR - 6 on a 722k ... group them and suddenly the ehd is there under "my media" ? lots of things dish does makes no sense or after a long time with lots of people saying the same things that dish never responds to, nor puts out feelers for getting customers to vote on feature refinements ....

The issue T8 ... is that Dish could do better, but they never do, and even if you or I don't see a value in some feature requests doesn't mean there isn't any merit to the request at all..

KKlare said:
I tried the STOP after playing from the EHD on my 722. It took me to item 1 of the whole list and did not stick on the item opened in its group, which is what I hoped for. So that STOP trick may only work for the 212. Though I'll have to try it on the newer 722.

A pain on this 2TB drive with lots of recordings is that each time you exit a recording it re-indexes the entire list--buffer too small? It is not noticeable on the other drives.
-Ken

That probably works on the 211 with the conversion to a DVR. Back to the problem of what things are called. We add an external storage hd to a dvd, adding an external recording hd to a 211 to convert to a DVR. Both are refered to as "EHD" but in reality they each have a different purpose.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)