EHD Not Recognized

EHD issue update. Received cables and connected one of them between the H3 and the external drive. Nothing happened. Called Dish Tech Support, trouble shooted all three USB ports, nothing. Dish sent a reset signal to my hopper. Now the external hard drive activity indicator blinking like crazy. No pop ups that the hopper recognizes that the drive is attached. Dish tech sent trouble ticket to support team about this issue and to get a ETA for a fix to be put out. I was told that employees at Dish had given the equipment a test run before release to the public. This particular event was not tested though. I was told to followup in about a week. I am hopeful but not totally optimistic a solution will be found short of reformatting the drive. I am still being told that the drive as formated for my H2 will not need to be formatted again.
Edit 4/1/2016
I have let the H3 settle in as advised. The EHD is still not recognized.

Have you rebooted (unplugged) both the Hopper and EHD...then power up the Hopper BEFORE the EHD? One last try to help.

I just bought a Seagate 3TB external hard drive from Bestbuy. My Hopper3 wont recognize it.
It is self powered.
I have tried all 3 ports.
My computer can see the drive just fine.
I reformatted the drive with my computer.
I have rebooted the H3 and EHD several times.
I deleted the volume and created 1 volume that is 2TB.
My H3 DOES immediately see a Western Digital 1TB internal drive that is connected thru a hard drive dock.
I had first bought an External Western Digital 3TB drive but the Hopper would not see it so I returned it today for the Seagate.
Is there a list of EHDs that are confirmed to work with the H3?

I just bought a Seagate 3TB external hard drive from Bestbuy. My Hopper3 wont recognize it.
It is self powered.
I have tried all 3 ports.
My computer can see the drive just fine.
I reformatted the drive with my computer.
I have rebooted the H3 and EHD several times.
I deleted the volume and created 1 volume that is 2TB.
My H3 DOES immediately see a Western Digital 1TB internal drive that is connected thru a hard drive dock.
I had first bought an External Western Digital 3TB drive but the Hopper would not see it so I returned it today for the Seagate.
Is there a list of EHDs that are confirmed to work with the H3?

I have several 2TB WD MyBook drives that all work great with the H3's. 2TB is the maximum supported by DISH.

The chips built in to some of the newer external hard drives are not working with the H3. I was able to get the Sabrent external enclosure and a 3TB HGST drive to work with my H3. It formatted it to 2.8TB.

I got a good price on a "Buffalo USB 3.0 Drivestation (3TB) - unfortunately, it appears that the H3 doesn't recognize it at all. It works fine with my desktop and laptops. I have a couple of Sabrent enclosures that I thought about trying with it but I can't figure out how to open this EHD. The darn thing almost looks like it's sealed and seamless - I don't see any screws anywhere, hidden or otherwise. It's my own fault - I should have paid better attention to what others were using successfully. Another lesson learned......

I got a good price on a "Buffalo USB 3.0 Drivestation (3TB) - unfortunately, it appears that the H3 doesn't recognize it at all. It works fine with my desktop and laptops. I have a couple of Sabrent enclosures that I thought about trying with it but I can't figure out how to open this EHD. The darn thing almost looks like it's sealed and seamless - I don't see any screws anywhere, hidden or otherwise. It's my own fault - I should have paid better attention to what others were using successfully. Another lesson learned......
It might be the built-in Buffalo tools that is causing your issue. The tools are for automatic back up on Windows PCs.

It might be the built-in Buffalo tools that is causing your issue. The tools are for automatic back up on Windows PCs.
I wondered about that - so if I reformat the drive (or maybe go so far as deleting and recreating partitions) should that make a difference, if the tools are the prob?

I wondered about that - so if I reformat the drive (or maybe go so far as deleting and recreating partitions) should that make a difference, if the tools are the prob?
Yep, I'd not even worry about partitions, I'd just do a complete reformat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)