EHD Stopped working

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rastan

Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
Boston
My EHD stopped being recognized by my hopper. It acts as though I never plug it in, the drive doesn't register any attempts to read from it. I'm switched to a different drive, different USB cable and from back to front port with no luck. Dish rep was stumped because "if it doesn't generate an error message they cant troubleshoot it" and left me to literally wait until it either starts working again or gives an error. Has anyone else ever had this happen and is there anything I can do. The Sling adapter does get recognized from the USB port so it's not that the port is blown out.

This is a known problem and should be fixed by a software update due out next week.

*All of the above information I got from reading this site. :)

Wait for a non-recording time.
Remove Sling just to eliminate it.
Remove EHDs.
Do a power cord pull reset. The red button is quicker but not as complete.
When done add one EHD.
If it recognizes it then try a transfer. If not, there is some other problem.
If transfer starts but stops quickly consider that recording must wait for fixes.
If the transfer goes to less than 6 sec left, you have a common problem.
It may even say it is complete but does not come back to the listings.
The time left typically decreases in 5 to 6 sec steps.
Look at activity light on EHD. If it stops for more than 10 sec, you have that problem.
If it blocks up you must do at least a red-button reset.
Expect it to repeat but it's worth a second try from the full reset.
Luck, -Ken

My EHD stopped being recognized by my hopper. It acts as though I never plug it in, the drive doesn't register any attempts to read from it. I'm switched to a different drive, different USB cable and from back to front port with no luck. Dish rep was stumped because "if it doesn't generate an error message they cant troubleshoot it" and left me to literally wait until it either starts working again or gives an error. Has anyone else ever had this happen and is there anything I can do. The Sling adapter does get recognized from the USB port so it's not that the port is blown out.

I've had the same issue since late in release 328. Supposedly the 1/10 (oh, that became 1/16, which became a few more days, which became 1/24) update will cure this. We'll see, and if it sounds as if I'm frustrated, well I AM!

Meanwhile, I get my EHD recognized by pulling both its' USB and power cord, waiting a few minutes, then plugging it back in. Then it's recognized until the next nightly reset, when again it disappears. I have managed a few transfers, but some get hung up as previously described.

I've had the same issue since late in release 328. Supposedly the 1/10 (oh, that became 1/16, which became a few more days, which became 1/24) update will cure this. We'll see, and if it sounds as if I'm frustrated, well I AM!

Glad I'm not the only one having this. I'm in the middle of a Breaking Bad binge and I really need my fix! It's been days now! Hopefully this clears itself up so I can transfer some junk before my wife has me tape all of the Olympics again

Sigh....Finally got the update this morning and all the new features are working, but I still cant get it to see my EHD. Is anyone else experiencing this or do I have to call in?

Sigh....Finally got the update this morning and all the new features are working, but I still cant get it to see my EHD. Is anyone else experiencing this or do I have to call in?

Same thing is happening to me. My Hopper doesn't recognize the drive at all. I've been working with a DIRT member who has sent it up to engineering. I'm on the latest H2K SW (S424), but it's still happening....

Same thing is happening to me. My Hopper doesn't recognize the drive at all. I've been working with a DIRT member who has sent it up to engineering. I'm on the latest H2K SW (S424), but it's still happening....

What's worked for me, even with 330 on the HWS is to unplug the EHD's both USB and power. Wait a bit and then plug both back in. It always worked, but with 330, resetting the HWS made it disappear.

What's worked for me, even with 330 on the HWS is to unplug the EHD's both USB and power. Wait a bit and then plug both back in. It always worked, but with 330, resetting the HWS made it disappear.
Thanks, but we've already tried that, including red button and power cord resets, even another authorization hit to the receiver, all to no avail....

I had same problem. Turned out to be a bad EHD power supply.
I wish. I have NEVER been able to an EHD working with either of my Hoppers . . . tried all the USB ports . . . different hard drives . . .

Time me for a class action lawsuit.

I wish. I have NEVER been able to an EHD working with either of my Hoppers . . . tried all the USB ports . . . different hard drives . . . Time me for a class action lawsuit.
Time to call Dish and ask for a replacement Hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Until 328, I never had a problem with an EHD. Since then, nothing but. Now moving programs around after a defective Hopper, and bulk transfers of even a single program will not work.

Unrelated, waiting for a DISH email of a return label which was not in or under the original label AND they want to charge me for the time it took to move programs off the old Hopper. And of course, that took an inordinate amount of time since their bum software kept messing up transfers.

For the first time in my 15+ years with DISH, I'm thinking of leaving for another provider.

My problem is I'll transfer my files from EHD #1 to my hopper. This will work fine but when I try to transfer the files to EHD #2 my drive is unresponsive and I get "A error has occurred" Once I reboot the Hopper I'm able to transfer the files that I transferred from EHD #1 to the Hopper to EHD #2.

Hopper 2000 with S424

Last edited:
Sorry Lucky, that's probably not going to do it. I recommend you wait for a quiet time--no recordings, no viewing. Then do a red-button reboot. You should be good for some transfers, maybe many. Transferring out I've have more success doing one at a time. Some just don't want to go. Save those for immediately after the RBR. Also the last transferred in is not a good candidate for transferring in. Those that fail should be tried after you get most of them. Out of a collection of 700GB or 180 films, I have 1 that won't go and 7 that are missing and those worry me the most and one that disappeared earlier.

So retry one at a time, in different order, and after a reboot. Why do some reboots happen fast without a satellite scan and others take the long path?

Luck with your moving from one who has done a lot of it and needs to do even more.
-Ken

I am able to transfer from my Hopper to EHD, but am unable to playback anything from the EHD. Anyone else have this problem? I am able to select and it even asks if I want to use auto hop, but then I get a black screen after making my selection.

Now, my Sling Adapter has quit on me. The USB ports are OK because by OTA is still working.

I've been told I can buy a new SA, but I would rather upgrade to a HWS. If I do that, without a working EHD I'll lose recordings on my current Hopper I want to archive. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)