EI Exclusive to D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They have NFLST and I have no problem with their pricing. They are very fair. Your federal reps are not going to touch MLB's anti trust because of this. There is nothing wrong with it at all. Hell, the feds won't even touch the steroids. lol.

No, you don't, not really. If they do, then they will be able to raise the prices to whatever that they want. Market forces are the only thing that will keep the prices low.

I'm dead set against this and I intend to email my federal reps to press them to yank MLB's anti trust if this happens.:mad:

I agree, they can't complain because these are private companies (the leagues) and just look at how the affiliates get to do basically the same thing with their "market" games.

Last edited:
I think I will sum up the sour grapes to just that. I love sports and love D* for it.

I dont understand the hoopla. Its like when someone who is a D* sub now complaining that the Kung Fu channel is only on E* or that the VOOM channels are all on E* and not D*. I dont see the difference.

I like sports so I chose D*. I had to think long and hard about it too.
When I first signed up Comcast had the RSNs in HD while D* had the Sunday Ticket. I agonized over it. Waited it out and BAM D* came through for me with NESN and FSN NE in HD.

Everyone has a choice to make. If you want your RSN's in HD and you want MLB in HD and you want ST and those things are important to you choose D*.

If you like VOOM and Food Network in HD and (I forget the other couple channels names) choose E*. Its pretty simple.

woops almost left out nascar....D* has that too!

I guess I dont get the entitlement whines I hear here. I cant recall a D* sub posting on the E* side moaning and groaning how the it was illegal for E* to guy up the monster channel and the kung fu channel, or even the food network. No griped about calling congress to stop the madness about VOOM going to E* and how it should be every providers right to carry VOOM.

Each provider has their pros and cons choose accordingly and stop crying....after all there is no crying in baseball! (btw I wish Dragon was here to see this he would be in his D* glory!)

Last edited:
I don't think it is right that MLB can be exclusive to D* It is one thing if cable or E* choose not to carry it, but to not be allowed to is not right. There are going to be baseball fans that can't watch their favorite teams because they can't install a dish. I don't think it is a case of sour grapes.

I have E* and I am pissed about the whole thing. I have signed up and will be getting D* this weekend because watching the Red Sox is important to me, but I am not happy about leaving E*. I have invested a lot of money in equipment and I am going to miss the HD that E* has. My hope is D* will come through with their promises and offer more HD soon. I will take a loss on the equipment. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel I have been forced to D* for the wrong reasons.

I think competition is good and I don't see how a monopoly on programming can help anyone but the company holding the monopoly. It certainly doesn't help the consumer.

I could never understand the logic behind the NFL wanting to limit the ST package to less than 20% of the potential market. All the other Networks are fighting to get their signal on as many cable and satellite companies as possible. The NFL and D* team up and create a monoply. Seems to me if they were going to limit it to just one group, it would be the cable industry as they have 65,000,000 subscribers verus the 13 or 14 million with D*.

If it takes say $100,000,000 to make a product successful, seems to me it would be a lot easier to reach that goal if you have the product available to 100% of the potential customers. The cost could be spread out more evenly and the competition would prevent things like the way over priced ST package.

Another interesting fact. In Canada, the package is sold by multiple cable and satellite companies, it sells for $179.00 including HD. Here it sells for around $330.00 for the ST & HD package, with only one company selling it. The Canadian dollar is only worth about $0.85 US currency.

Its not really a monopoly because everyone will still get their free in-market games via the affiliates.

The CAN vs USA price is likely determined more because the market; here big knowledge, big interest, equal big sales. In CAN, not the same levels. If the NHL did the same thing it might be close to a reversal.

GadgetGirl said:
I don't think it is right that MLB can be exclusive to D* It is one thing if cable or E* choose not to carry it, but to not be allowed to is not right.

You hit the nail on the head; they DID have the opportunity to get the deal, but they did not bid enough, were not willing to pay the amount. So they let themselves out the door. They were not told they could not have anything.

Its not really a monopoly because everyone will still get their free in-market games via the affiliates.

The CAN vs USA price is likely determined more because the market; here big knowledge, big interest, equal big sales. In CAN, not the same levels. If the NHL did the same thing it might be close to a reversal.

You hit the nail on the head; they DID have the opportunity to get the deal, but they did not bid enough, were not willing to pay the amount. So they let themselves out the door. They were not told they could not have anything.

It would be one thing if they were not willing to pay the price, but to only allow 1 carrier to have it is where I have an issue. It is the exclusive part that is wrong. This means many viewers lose out. Cable, FIOS and Dish viewers are not able to get it because it can't be offered to them.

It would be one thing if they were not willing to pay the price, but to only allow 1 carrier to have it is where I have an issue. It is the exclusive part that is wrong. This means many viewers lose out. Cable, FIOS and Dish viewers are not able to get it because it can't be offered to them.

Thats like going to Taco Bell. which serves pepsi products, saying its not fair because you wanted coke a coke.

If you want Coke with your meals go to Burger King.

If you want to watch the EI package go to D*. Its this whole entitlement issue that Im having an issue with.

By your theory, does a D* subscriber have a right to whine about D* not being allowed to offer VOOM channels?

baseball

I have been with dish for to10 yrs now and have been very happy,Im also a huge fl marlin fan .I get all there games on sun and fla sports , I also get tbs ,wgn and all the super satitions and fox ,espn. I get my fill of baseball on dish without the whole package. harvey

Gadgetgirl is right, and it is going to cost MLB their anti-trust. It's just too soon after all the other crap that MLB is doing and it's one of those things that gets a politicians face in the news. You just watch...there are going to be hearings on this I bet and it isn't going to be pretty. I bet MLB caves.

Thats like going to Taco Bell. which serves pepsi products, saying its not fair because you wanted coke a coke.

If you want Coke with your meals go to Burger King.

I can find another place that serves Mexican food and also serves Coke and I can also find another hamburger joint that sells burgers and serves Pepsi, but there is only one place that I can buy ST, making that a monopoly.

Darn CBS. They have a monopoly on Super Bowl XLI this year. It isn't fair. I have to go to CBS and hear Nantz and Simms. It isn't fair that CBS has to ram that broadcast team down our throats this year.

Why can't I get the Super Bowl on FOX this year? It isn't fair! I hope Congress and the President do something about it!

Darn CBS. They have a monopoly on Super Bowl XLI this year. It isn't fair. I have to go to CBS and hear Nantz and Simms. It isn't fair that CBS has to ram that broadcast team down our throats this year.

Why can't I get the Super Bowl on FOX this year? It isn't fair! I hope Congress and the President do something about it!

Why would you call that a monopoly? You can get CBS through many sources, OTA, cable, satellite. ST is only available through 1 source, D*. Big difference there.

Doesn't really make sense. Most can see the superbowl for free OTA. Or as pointed out from virtually every provider. However I can only see the extra MLB games on a regular basis from one source only. Better explanation - NESN has exclusive rights to carry Red Sox games. But again, I can get NESN from Cable, Dish or Direct. Very different (And an overthrow of the Government would ensue) if Only Direct had NESN for instance in an exclusive deal.

I would add, if I was a Congressman, and my interest was raised about this deal, a question I would ask is - Baseball feels they need $700 million for the package. Ok, why can't that be done by first asking for lesser amounts from many outlets to accoplish the same monetary goal? As pointed out in a post above, it isn't the price being asked, but that it has to be exclusive. Sounds like MLB got lazy, did not want to bargain with different outlets so went this route.

Gadgetgirl is right, and it is going to cost MLB their anti-trust.

It isn't even going to come close to costing them such

Man some of you people reach for an argument.

This is a brilliant move by D* that will result in additional subs for D* and IMO down the rode solid EI numbers

Congress is already looking at the NFL on this issue, and the NFL doesn't have an Anti-trust exemption. Baseball is really risking a great deal, while D* seems likely to lose as much or more money then they have on ST.

I don't see how this makes sense for either party, long term.

The only reason why Congress is looking into ST is because of Arlan Specter being from Pennsylvania, which is were Comcast is based. If Comcast wanted ST so badly, they should've outbid D* for it. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be anti-trust and anti-comeptive if Comcast was awarded a sports PPV package on an exclusive basis? After all, Comcast isn't in every market in every city in the country. D* is.

I guess you can look at this in a couple diffrent ways from a "business" sense, of course there is the first point that has been raised that hey its a monoply and its all going to one source,

And you can also look at the other side it looks like DTV is also trying to position themselves as a leader for the sportsfan, As a sportsfan, whenever someone asks me who they may want to pick for TV viewing I first say "Is sports a big deal to you" If you big into sports your choice for viewing is DTV over the other players out there. This just adds to that with NFL/the nascar deal (dont know if thats now exclusive to DTV, I knew cable had something like this in the past) and now MLB.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

New to DirectV and this forum-I Have a FewQuestions

Directv dish antenna through glass window

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)