Electrolytic rust removal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jason S

Ordinary Average Guy...
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2014
North Central Texas
I posted a couple photos in the 'Winegard for Possible Rescue' thread of the electrolytic rust removal bucket I made. Overall, I'm very pleased with the results and at the very least it's a neat experiment.

I imagine that several on here have one or made one, but for those that haven't or never tried it - here's the small one I made (and it actually works). Now that I've built one, I wish I would've tried this before many cases of sandblasting or using a wire wheel.

Much of this is based on a pdf from "The Stovebolt Page" about Electrolytic Rust Removal, although there are many other sources.

Started off with a 2-gal bucket and marked positions equidistant around the top of the bucket. On this bucket, there were mold reinforcements on the band that the bail attaches that could be referenced. Used a spade bit to cut the holes.
SAM_6591.JPG

Next, cut a piece of flashing that would fill the space between the bucket reinforcement band and the lip on the top of the bucket. The idea was the band of flashing would fit up into the lip.
SAM_6592.JPG

Test fit the band to the bucket and decided it needed some trimming to fit around the bail moldings.
SAM_6594.JPG

After trimming, installed the band onto the bucket for final test fit. I maybe trimmed a bit more than needed.
SAM_6595.JPG

Marked the band from the inside of the bucket using the holes already drilled.
SAM_6596.JPG

For each hole location, a Romex clamp will be installed.
SAM_6593.JPG

At each hole location, drilled a small hole (3/8") and then used aircraft sheet metal shears to trim out the hole. After creating the hole, inserted the Romex clamp through the band and the bucket hole and threaded the nut onto the clamp. After installation, the band acts as a conductor and reinforcement for the top of the bucket.

SAM_6597.JPG

Next installed the sacrificial anode into the bucket. In this case it was 1/2" x 8" mild steel concrete L-bolts clamped into the romex clamps. 3/8" rebar would've been less expensive, but the hardware store was out of stock and didn't want to drive 30-50 miles one way for more. As is, this was around $20 to build.

There is a word of caution with the Stovebolt page instructions about using Stainless Steel, due to the chrome content.

SAM_6598.JPG
SAM_6599.JPG

Completed bucket with all anodes installed.
SAM_6600.JPG

For solution, I followed the 'Stovebolt Page' recommendations and used a Tablespoon of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda per gallon of water.
SAM_6607.JPG

To attach together cathode parts, annealed steel rebar tie-wire was used.
SAM_6608.JPG

All the parts tied together, going forward will probably result in fewer pieces at one time.
SAM_6602.JPG

Starting the electrolysis, the negative (-) from a battery charger clipped to the parts (cathode) and the positive (+) is clipped to the bucket sacrificial anode.
SAM_6605.JPG

Another view at start of process.
SAM_6603.JPG

Within 30 minutes of process.
SAM_6606.JPG

After a few hours, a mostly complete rust removal using electrolysis. I wound up cleaning a bit more on these and put them back in until all rusty parts were completely black.
SAM_6612.JPG

At first, I started with 12v 2A for the process. Wound up with 12v 6A for final cleanup.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the little bucket and plan on doing a 5-gallon version for larger projects. If anyone has more experience or tips on this, I'd definitely like input.

Last edited:
I'd messed around with similar before, experimenting with plating stuff, gold plated a car key and a few other small things with pins from old 286/386/486/etc processors. Copper plated some things too. It was quite a while ago, so I don't remember all the details of how I did it, I'd looked it up online. I do remember that sometimes what was left in the tub afterward looked real nasty though.

Is the residue from doing this really nasty, or pretty much just rusty water? I might give it a try, if what's left afterward doesn't look too toxic! I like that setup with the bucket and the Romex clamps, that's really a neat setup!

I can't really see the charger you used for this in the picture very well, but if you have one, a better power supply that has a cleaner DC output might work better. That charger looks like it probably would have a bit of AC ripple in the output. With the plating, a power supply with clean output made a huge difference. With just cleaning rust, it might not make quite as much of a difference. Thanks for posting that, cool experiment! Another one to add to my list of things to try! :)

Reactions: Jason S
Is the residue from doing this really nasty, or pretty much just rusty water? I might give it a try, if what's left afterward doesn't look too toxic! I like that setup with the bucket and the Romex clamps, that's really a neat setup!

I can't really see the charger you used for this in the picture very well, but if you have one, a better power supply that has a cleaner DC output might work better. That charger looks like it probably would have a bit of AC ripple in the output. Thanks for posting that, cool experiment! Another one to add to my list of things to try! :)

Thanks for the reply and input! I'd recommend trying out something like this for cleaning any rusty metal projects.

The residue is dirt and rust crud in a washing soda solution. The caveat in the instructions recommended that one does not use stainless steel as the sacrificial anode because of hexavalent chromium release into the solution. Here's a photo after the water has set for a few days and everything has settled out.
SAM_6628.JPG

The battery charger is a Shumacher from O'Reilly Auto Parts; a middle of the road unit. Probably not a clean DC source, but it worked well enough for rust removal.
SAM_6629.JPG

Also included are the pdf instructions that I referenced from the Stovebolt Page...

Attachments

• electrolysis.pdf
    143.6 KB · Views: 298
Thanks for the PDF, downloaded it to check out later! That water doesn't look bad at all, I'm going to give it a try, thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)