Electronic Program Guide Question?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Hoopnoop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
I have a basic question regarding the EPG that comes with the Motorola HD DVR. Can you edit the guide to only show the channels that you want to watch? I couldn't do that with my Adelphia box and it's important to me. I just found out that I can get FIOS TV but before I do I wanted to get this questions answered.

Thanks!

Hoopnoop said:
I have a basic question regarding the EPG that comes with the Motorola HD DVR. Can you edit the guide to only show the channels that you want to watch? I couldn't do that with my Adelphia box and it's important to me. I just found out that I can get FIOS TV but before I do I wanted to get this questions answered.

Thanks!
Yes, you can edit the guide, and there is also a favorites guide. I switched from Dish and I can tell you that I am really hoping that Veizon is working on the entire menu system on these boxes. Here are some of the features that I miss from my old Dish HD-DVR:

1) 30 second commercial skip
2) Multiple personal guides/lists
3) Record seek from current show (I used to be able to select record and coose to record a full series or just that one show)
4) Search from the guide/list (you can do this, but you must first go to the menu)
5) Smooth fast forward and reverse (really hate the way this box does it)
6) Wide screen menu (robably the most annoying feature that is missing)
7) Actor names and start-stop times missing in the program infomation
8) On-screen opaque menu. Really miss this.
9) Menu does not cover full name of program. May be a font problem or something, but the menus from the Dish box were really easy to read and easy to undertsand. These are not.
10) Single TV unit as opposed to a multi room unit. I really miss this. I cannot record a show in my living room and watch it in the bedroom anymore, and visa-versa.
11) Last button on this unit ALWAYS switches my TV to another input rather than switching back to the last program I was watching. My Dish unit did not do this.
12) Inability to turn off and on both the Box and TV usig a single button. I have to press tv then off/on then cable then off/on each and every time. This is very confusing to anyone that visits or does not use the system much.

There are more but they just are not popping into my head at this time. I have asked the moderators to create a static thread for suggestions on programming and I guess that they are looking into it. In the mean time, if everyone wold express their suggestions onthis thread, perhaps they will see just how much we need a something static.

Wow! That's a lot of issues regarding the Moto 6416. I have read similar complaints elsewhere. It would certainly seem to make sense to have a static thread regarding the 6416 and various problems/issues with it.

Regarding some of the issues, can you use a Harmony remote or another universal remote with this unit? It seems like some of the issues involve the remote.

Also, with regard to editing the guide, I actually want to narrow the basic guide down to maybe 10 channels. I just don't want the kids watching a bunch of crap and with the new service I want to give them the impression that we only get a handful of channels. I assume I can do that.

1) 30 second commercial skip

this can be done with a harmony or comcast remote. (comcast five bucks on ebay)

3) Record seek from current show (I used to be able to select record and coose to record a full series or just that one show)

not a big deal.

4) Search from the guide/list (you can do this, but you must first go to the menu)

not a big deal.

5) Smooth fast forward and reverse (really hate the way this box does it)

mine looks ok, but i usually use the 30 skip button.

6) Wide screen menu (robably the most annoying feature that is missing)

mine shows up widescreen sometimes. never really paid attention until it flips back, but not a big deal to me.

7) Actor names and start-stop times missing in the program infomation

agree that actor name would be nice.

8) On-screen opaque menu. Really miss this.

would be nice.

10) Single TV unit as opposed to a multi room unit. I really miss this. I cannot record a show in my living room and watch it in the bedroom anymore, and visa-versa.

you will be able to do this soon.

11) Last button on this unit ALWAYS switches my TV to another input rather than switching back to the last program I was watching. My Dish unit did not do this.

can't comment because i use a harmony.

12) Inability to turn off and on both the Box and TV usig a single button. I have to press tv then off/on then cable then off/on each and every time. This is very confusing to anyone that visits or does not use the system much.

can't comment.

some postives of the box.

hdmi works. questionable on dish 622

no company has better picture quailty.

techs can look at your box if problems arise. this came in handy when i ordered the a ppv the other day. they reset my box and all was good.

this is fios' first box. how many boxes did it take before dish got it right? 921, 942, and now the 622 with faulty hdmi on some boxes?

i think i will stick with fios.

korsjs said:
some postives of the box.

hdmi works. questionable on dish 622

no company has better picture quailty.

techs can look at your box if problems arise. this came in handy when i ordered the a ppv the other day. they reset my box and all was good.

this is fios' first box. how many boxes did it take before dish got it right? 921, 942, and now the 622 with faulty hdmi on some boxes?

i think i will stick with fios.
Please don't misunderstand me. I love m FIOS, I just have a few problems with the infant programming that they currently have. The menuing and features are far less mature than Dish and it shows. I believe that this will improveover tme and I will probably be there to watch it happen. My point is that they HAVE to be working on upgrades and features, and if the customers don't say anything they don't get what they want.

As for Dish, I signed up with the multi-room HD-DRV so I got to see and use a very mature product. Now, I can live with most of the shortcomings, but I am having one devil of a time with the wife. She got really spoiled with Dish. Most of the features I list are things that she used on a regular basis and she remonds me are missing now on a regular basis.

Yes, picture quality is great, and HD content is large (would like to see much more though). I do see the occasional picture scatter on the HD channels, but when storms roll through I don't lose the signal completely like I did on Dish, and the added bandwidth and lower overall cost is the coolest feature. I would love to see some type of substaintial discount for voice, either over IP of POTS, be available.

I would still like to see a static thread for the wish/feature request. I think that if it were at the top, the customers would provide valuable input to the programmer dudes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)