eligible superstations

ronfelder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
south jersey
For curiosity I checked on Dish's site to see which super stations I'm eligible and it only allows me to get the Wb's from ktla,kwgn,and wpix. Not able to receive wwor, and wsbk both upn's.

Well since I'm a Dish subscriber since February of 2000 I've been able to get all five super stations. They've never said anything to me and I suppose I'm grandfathered in to get all five.

good thing I get wwor for that is how i watch in the early evenings my dose of King of Queens instead of late night on my local Philly station.

Also glad that they don't blank out wpix. I know during the day on certain shows our cable company Comcast for syndie reasons blanks out wpix.

Ron

Next Fall both Wb and Upn are going away and becoming one station ; CW. I wonder how this will effect the superstations and who can get them.

the reason you dont qualify for UPN is because the Philly UPN involked "Syndex" where Dish is suppose ot black out the common programming. Dish decides not to sell you those in that area.

But I guess you lucked out :)

MikeD-C05 said:
Next Fall both Wb and Upn are going away and becoming one station ; CW. I wonder how this will effect the superstations and who can get them.

WWOR & WSBK are going back to independent so everyone should be able to get those

Iceberg said:
the reason you dont qualify for UPN is because the Philly UPN invoked "Syndex" where Dish is suppose to black out the common programming. Dish decides not to sell you those in that area.

But I guess you lucked out :)

Thanks. I suppose they forgot about me since i've had it as stated since February 2000.

I have a cable modem so I have the mimimum required cable from Comcast to get it. They do invoke the synex rule for lots of times if you put on wpix on cable it's blacked out. Glad it isn't this way on Dish.

Also notice I qualify and do get MSG, and Foxsports NY, while my ex and daugther who have Dish in Philly also ren't eligible for the upn's or the sports package. strange for i'm in the same DMA as they are.

Ron

RobertsD said:
Here comes a dumb question.... ;)

What are superstations, and how do you get them? ALso, do you have to pay extra for them?

Superstations are the following
WSBK-Boston
WPIX-NY
WWOR-NY
KWGN-Denver
KTLA-LA

These 5 are classified as “superstations” per the SHVIA. These use to be independent stations, but are now classified as WB or UPN stations.

They are 1.50 per station or 5.99 for all 5. Check Dish’s locals site to see if you qualify for which ones.

Why do people get them?
-Time shifting UPN or WB
-They don’t have WB or UPN in their locals package
-WPIX & WWOR have Mets & Yankees games (45 total)

Iceberg said:
Superstations are the following
WSBK-Boston
WPIX-NY
WWOR-NY
KWGN-Denver
KTLA-LA

These 5 are classified as “superstations” per the SHVIA. These use to be independent stations, but are now classified as WB or UPN stations.

They are 1.50 per station or 5.99 for all 5. Check Dish’s locals site to see if you qualify for which ones.

Why do people get them?
-Time shifting UPN or WB
-They don’t have WB or UPN in their locals package
-WPIX & WWOR have Mets & Yankees games (45 total)

Still watch them but before I got the local Philly WB and UpN I used to watch them from the out of town stations.

Ron

Thanks for answering my questions Iceberg:)

I get my local UPN and WB both through dish and OTA, so no need for that, and I'm not really interested in the baseball games, so it looks like I don't need them.

fs2685 said:
Aren't these blacked out? When I had the superstation package I know the Red Sox games on WSBK were blacked out, but I can't remember if Met or Yankees were. Could this have been because my RSN is NESN which shows Red Sox?

I live in the Boston area and the Met and Yankee telecasts on WPIX and WWOR were NOT blacked out. The blackout of Red Sox games on WSBK was outside of the Boston metropolitan area and NESN carried the games. In the Boston area, NESN was blacked out in favor of WSBK.

That will not be an issue this year as the agreement between WSBK and the Red Sox was not renewed. All of the Red Sox games not on FOX or exclusively on ESPN will be on NESN only.

Now wouldn't it be nice if we were able to receive NESN, WSBK, WPIX, and WWOR in HD???

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
the reason you dont qualify for UPN is because the Philly UPN involked "Syndex" where Dish is suppose ot black out the common programming.
Since that same Philly UPN station that is enforcing syndax will be the new CW station for the market, they might start enforce syndax against KTLA, KWGN, and WPIX next year.

But they might have just done it as a pissing contest with Fox. The Philly UPN was owned by CBS and the UPN Superstations by Fox. Next year the Philly UPN/CW and the 2 current WB superstations will be all owned by the co-creaters of CW, so they might not enforce syndax

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)