Miss Dish -- how long until eligible?

doublek97

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I recently switched from Dish to DirecTV, and I miss my Dish remote and guide! Directv is a mess. How long do you have to wait in order to be eligible as a new customer again for Dish? Does Dish ever have any offers that pay your ETF for you for switching back?

You are eligible now because you can never be a new customer again, you are a returning customer. ETF never DISH doesn't want you back that badly. Call DISH and see what offers are available to you, Usually DISH send out offers to return shortly after you leave them unless they decide you weren't worth keeping.

I don't recall Dish being very generous with ETF reimbursement from other providers. At least, I haven't heard it discussed here like I have heard of Directv and some cable operators doing it.

I'm pretty sure you're SOL with the EFT but like stated before, you can sign up for all the new promos after 3 months as long as your account was left in good standing.

WATCH out if you try to break out of your commitment with DIRECTV. I broke my commitment when I had them as a side service with DISH as well , and I was only 6 months in ,so it cost me around $410.00 to leave. OF course that was around ten years ago, so it might not be as high,but either way I would get an email confirming exactly what it will cost to break up.

WATCH out if you try to break out of your commitment with DIRECTV. I broke my commitment when I had them as a side service with DISH as well , and I was only 6 months in ,so it cost me around $410.00 to leave. OF course that was around ten years ago, so it might not be as high,but either way I would get an email confirming exactly what it will cost to break up.

It's still high,higher than dish's penalty. I believe it's $20 per month left in the contract plus whatever else they want to throw in there including tax. I canceled with about 7 months left in the contract and paid $184.

Last edited:
I recently switched from Dish to DirecTV, and I miss my Dish remote and guide! Directv is a mess. How long do you have to wait in order to be eligible as a new customer again for Dish? Does Dish ever have any offers that pay your ETF for you for switching back?

I also switched from Dish to Direct and find both remotes are horrible. I've always used a Harmony remote and find that Direct's tablet app an even better replacement while watching programming. The latter makes me use their cluttered on screen guide even less.

But jumping back to Dish & paying an etf for dislike of a remote & guide is not worth it. Didn't you research Directv offerings and features before you switched? In these days of YouTube & other resources it's so easy to research these things before making a commitment. Bad customer service & policies a little harder to find out before.

Personally both satellite service has their plus & minus but for me Direct offers more for me because pq and handling of sports programming is more important. I would suggest giving it a little more time or try some of the stuff I mentioned above before switching back & incurring yourself more expense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts