Hopper Ignores Timers

chopkins

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
I upgraded to a Hopper with Sling and OTA module 2 weeks ago. I have created about 30 timers. All the timers have worked perfectly at first. A few timers(about 4) have quit working. The non working timers are still listed but once the hopper ignores it one time it never works again. I have reentered the faulty timers and they start working again. Any ideas why the timers would stop working in the first place?

What do you see when you go to DVR-red Button-Daily Schedule. Recordings to be skipped usually have an orange line going through them and a reason in orange on the right. Do you have the timers set to record New Only or New and Reruns? To find out highlight one of the episodes that show up to be skipped. Press Select and arrow down to Edit Timer. You can change the timer settings there.

What do you see when you go to DVR-red Button-Daily Schedule. Recordings to be skipped usually have an orange line going through them and a reason in orange on the right. Do you have the timers set to record New Only or New and Reruns? To find out highlight one of the episodes that show up to be skipped. Press Select and arrow down to Edit Timer. You can change the timer settings there.

The timers no longer appear in the daily schedule at all. They appear in the timer list and appear to be properly entered. The missing timers are for new programs only. When the timers work properly they appear in the daily schedule. I checked the daily schedule yesterday and everything was fine now today two programs are missing completely from the daily schedule even though the timer is still in the timer list.

Possible memory problem or undetected bad spot on HDD? Really sounds like a bad box or at least a faulty s/w download. I've had a few DVR'd programs self delete, but haven't seen a timer problem.

Try this. Go to Daily Schedule. What is in the Yellow Button on the right. Hide Skipped or Show Skipped. If you see Show Skipped, press the yellow button on the remote. Then you should see all timers skipped or not. Then you can go to a show that you think should be recorded and see why the Hopper thinks it should be skipped. You can also restore the recording at that point.

I've had this happen as well. Your timer is there and after a few days it shows no upcoming recordings. Only way I got them to work was to delete them and create a new timer.

Daily schedule will show the event until it is skipped. No reason is given because it doesn't show it recorded. If you go to the timers list and select timer schedule it shows no events even though the guide shows.

Mine hasn't done this in quite a while and it was on my Hopper that I replaced. The new HWS hasn't had it happen.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

I've had this happen as well. Your timer is there and after a few days it shows no upcoming recordings. Only way I got them to work was to delete them and create a new timer.

Daily schedule will show the event until it is skipped. No reason is given because it doesn't show it recorded. If you go to the timers list and select timer schedule it shows no events even though the guide shows.

Mine hasn't done this in quite a while and it was on my Hopper that I replaced. The new HWS hasn't had it happen.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

That is exactly what is happening. I edited the timers to include reruns and new shows and they are back on the schedule. The next time one disappears I will use the yellow button to see if the hopper has a reason to skip the program.

Yep, still waiting for the bugs to be cleared out before I upgrade. self-deleting recordings and randomly missed timer events are show stoppers for me, pun intended.

I have never had a show skipped for no reason. Ther terminology of the Yellow Option in Daily Schedule can be misunderstood. When it says Hide Skip, it means if you press the yellow button on the remote, the display will switch to the Hide skipped recordings. I have Jeopardy set to record only new episodes. Since they ar running reruns of the Tournaments right now, I see Skipped: Not a new episode on the right hand side of the screen.
With a few exceptions, I find the current software for the HWS to be rock solid.
I may be wrong, but INHO, the problem the OP has is that he has not fully investigated all the option the colored buttons on the remote and their functions. If he only sees programs that are to be recorded, he needs to change his options.

dwarren, I have had the HWS on the screen showing the "yellow line" not recorded because _____ mode. The shows that were missed are local news (Channel 13, not OTA). I had three seperate timers which I have erased and reinstalled with the same results; one timer was M-F auto-tune and the other two were Saturday and Sunday to record. They show as having happended but are not there in any of the folders including PTAT and deleted.

Was the M-F for WHAM the one that was missed? I'm not sure if auto-tune will record. I have 8 and 10 set for recording daily on one of my HWS and it has never missed a recording. U have never seen a message like the one you posted. What was the _____mode. I have never used auto tune. AFAIK, auto tune does just that, it tunes to the channel but does not record. Last June we went away for 2 weeks, I posted about having to delete the timers of repeating programs I did not want to record while we were away. I was told I should have just changed the timers from DVR to auto tune and they would not record.
BTW, I'm in Marion out in Wayne County.

dwarren, all three timers were missed. M-F for auto-tune didn't happen I wasn't expecting a record function) and Sa + Su timerS for record did not happen, though the HWS thinks it did.

During the time you had the auto tune set, did you press the red button to see the activity of all the tuners? I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by the auto tuners missed all 3. Maybe one day you can invite me over and we can look at your set up, or you could come ouat here and I'll show you what I'm talking about. We can't be much more than 20 minutes apart. MY wife used to work at Fairport Baptist Home before she retired.

I have discovered what set off the timer problems. I replaced my over the air antenna yesterday. When I do a scan for OTA channels that is when the timers mess up. I rescanned again today to see if it recurs and it does. Obviously I only need to scan once so it should not be a big problem. It is apparently a software problem with the OTA module. Thanks for the help.

Yes, if you rescan, you have to reset timers. Generally, if you replace an ota antenna, you do not have to rescan. It is not a problemwith the software, it's just the way it is. A rescan makes the Hopper think that these are all new channels and none of the old timers are applicable. If you have any questions, pm me with your phone number and I can call and see if I can help.

Yep, still waiting for the bugs to be cleared out before I upgrade. self-deleting recordings and randomly missed timer events are show stoppers for me, pun intended.

I have a 722k and of course my Hopper setup and the Hopper system is by far the better receiver even with the "show-stopping" bugs that are rare. If you're waiting for the forum to stop having threads about bugs then you'll be waiting a long time. More people come to forums to complain about things than they do to report success.

The 722 is still a great, but aging DVR.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Yeah, well, that's only one reason. Price is another, and time and effort to offload recordings, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts