Emergency Request to move Echostar 6 to 77W

IIRC there were posts here a year or so ago expressing doubt that it would survive until sked replacement. I guess they were right.

So why didn't they just do their tests before they moved stuff back to E8?

And the following claim in the filing could in fact be false.

" There is no DBS orbit allocation in the vicinity of 77° W.L. that is assigned to the United States (the closest U.S. location is 61.5° W.L.)." Hmmm, what about Directv 1R at 72,5?

" There is no DBS orbit allocation in the vicinity of 77° W.L. that is assigned to the United States (the closest U.S. location is 61.5° W.L.)." Hmmm, what about Directv 1R at 72,5?

maybe because that is NOT a US assigned location, it's assigned to Canada

For those who care, a "single event upset" is caused by radiation spuriously flipping bits or even turning on phantom transistors in (usually spaceborne) electronics. Since E8 drifted out of it's box, presumably the spacecraft's own control electronics were hit, rather than the payload. I too am rather surprised that E didn't test it more thoroughly before transferring programming back.

Well at least we now know what happened. The only thing that I think is odd is that they did not notice it moving off station until it was out of the box. One would think they monitor the position all the time and have an automatic warning.

Perhaps Dish will want to test the health of the E-8 satellite at 86.5 W where they want to move it eventually anyway.

For those who care, a "single event upset" is caused by radiation spuriously flipping bits or even turning on phantom transistors in (usually spaceborne) electronics. Since E8 drifted out of it's box, presumably the spacecraft's own control electronics were hit, rather than the payload. I too am rather surprised that E didn't test it more thoroughly before transferring programming back.

Its possible that they received too many customers calling in and complaining about loosing their programming and were going to jump ship. That E* said to heck with it and just transfered the programming back. Once they got partial control of it. Then when E6 is transferred to its slot. Then move all its programming to E6 and then move E8 to a slot to test it. (Thats my guess.)

Customer complaints have no bearing on this type of issue. If a satellite is drifting, the loss of programming is way down the list of Echostar or the FCC's concern.

Customer complaints have no bearing on this type of issue. If a satellite is drifting, the loss of programming is way down the list of Echostar or the FCC's concern.

I agree, getting control of the satellite and getting it working on backup systems if necessary is the most important thing. Not only do they cost hundreds of millions of dollars, but the launch vehicles are booked up for years, no way to get a quick replacement. The loss of a satellite could cost Dish a years profits or more just to replace it, not to mention the number of displaced unhappy subs that might result.

To do the testing can take a long time, so they don't want to leave the programing on the other SAT's for that long & pissing to many customers. As soon as they got the Control over 77, then they put the load back onto it, till they can get E6 over there.

What the H--- is a phantom transistor? A new movie title?
Fabrication of modern integrated curcuits involves building up multiple, overlapping layers of semiconductor (various types) or metal through repeated etching, plating, and doping. The proximity of these many layers in the right 3-D configuration make components, such as transistors, connected up to make a specific circuit. If a cosmic ray goes zapping through such an integrated circuit, it can knock off electrons and charge up components in some places and, for example, turn a 1 into a 0, or turn on a transistor that doesn't exist on any circuit diagram, but which exists in the 3-D pattern of layers if the wrong spot is zapped. The latter are called phantom transistors, and they can be hard to turn off again. Sometimes they will discharge on their own. Sometimes you have to remove power to the circuit before the phantom transistor will go away. And in the worst cases, the IC would require re-annealing to get it back to it's design state.

Take longer to test, upset some. Put it back in service, upset others please some. It's a no-win situation. At least some service was restored but they see the need to make it better. Praise that.

And i thought this was the reason that NBC kept kicking out during SNL last night, I first thought weather, but other channels were up and running. Thankfully, I get locals from cable provider as well. I'll have to keep an eye on this matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)