ENCORE networks are about to launch classic TV hits. What do you all think of this move ?

i like Diff'rent Strokes if adding Punky Brewster and both have SAP, (after DISH enabling in the rest of the 5 channels) i subscribe.
Really Dish need to put in Free preview in December.

I never really paid much attention to the Encore channels before on occasions when I did have them. Since they are all SD, is the PQ as bad as the other SD channels? I know some of the other movie/pay channels in SD seem a little better than the regular SD channels.

If you read the links in the original post, you would see that the two new rebranded Encore channels are both going to be broadcast in HD.

Although they tout "commercial-free," everyone remember that these shows will be 22 minutes, followed by 8 minutes of Encore promos before the next program begins. In the case of the one-hour drama, it will air for 44-46 minutes, followed by approx. 15 minutes of Encore "commercials."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I call that "go to the bathroom time":D

If you read the links in the original post, you would see that the two new rebranded Encore channels are both going to be broadcast in HD.

Actually I did read the links in the original post. I did see where the channels would be offered in HD. I did not see anything stating that Dish Network would be adding the HD versions of the channels...perhaps you could point me to the quote I missed within those links? ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the channels they are rebranding are currently only offered in SD on Dish.

I like the move but really don't need to spend more time watching television :eek: hehe...

Although they tout "commercial-free," everyone remember that these shows will be 22 minutes, followed by 8 minutes of Encore promos before the next program begins. In the case of the one-hour drama, it will air for 44-46 minutes, followed by approx. 15 minutes of Encore "commercials."

Who watches live TV? When the show ends, I would press stop, then go on to the next recorded program on my DVR.

I think it will be a nice add, interesting mix of shows

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Actually I did read the links in the original post. I did see where the channels would be offered in HD. I did not see anything stating that Dish Network would be adding the HD versions of the channels...perhaps you could point me to the quote I missed within those links? ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the channels they are rebranding are currently only offered in SD on Dish.
Anything they show on an HD channel from the article's list would just be SD up converts, since most were originated on videotape. Murphy and Magnum, being shot on film, could be transferred, but I doubt they would go to the expense to do so.

Hogan's Heroes was redone in HD and it looked wonderful. Actually the SD upconverts on TCM-HD, and all the films are upconverts look damn good....

Hogan's Heroes was redone in HD and it looked wonderful. Actually the SD upconverts on TCM-HD, and all the films are upconverts look damn good....

Yeah...the Hogan's Heroes HD always looked great. I remember being shocked the first time I saw it back in the early days of HD. As far as Night Court goes, I doubt they would ever try for a show like that, but I'm curious if they could do HD with that show. Not sure how it was originally filmed, but I bought the season one DVD back when it first came out and the PQ was pretty rough even on DVD. It was like they didn't have much to work with. Never bought any of the other seasons once they finally came out, so perhaps they looked better.

As for the SD...even when its just upconverts, SD on an HD channel usually looks much better than the standard SD channels.

Night Court was taped, not filmed. Murphy Brown was filmed, not taped.

Film has much higher resolution than even HD TV. If the program was filmed, like Hogans Heroes and Murphy Brown, and you have access to the original negatives, you can make a great HD master. However if the program was originally taped, then you are essentially screwed. Even if the program was recorded on 1" tape, it was still recorded using NTSC resolution standards meaning the equivalent to 480i (400x535i at the time).
Also the quality of the picture on magnetic media degrades significantly over time. 35 year-old master tapes will look pretty darned good for NTSC, but not as good as they did their first play.

One more thing, CBS Sitcoms from the Murphy Brown era were generally filmed, the RAW cuts of the episode were transferred to video and the final cut was done from the video. In order to remaster Murphy Brown in HD the show would essentially have to be re-edited from the original films (three cameras per scene).

Would be interesting especially without commercials and they should start from beginning of all shows and go in order!! :)

But with a DVR, you watch the show, and then when it is done, hit delete. Easy! :)

When does this start and where is the list of shows that there will put on there

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I found a little company called Google, it found this....

http://ir.starz.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=806142

And the original post in this thread;
ENCORE networks are about to launch classic TV hits, including many sitcoms, to their networks starting Monday, Dec. 2, 2013!
Read more: http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2013/11/encore-networks-acquire-classic-sitcoms.html#ixzz2l96LHJ3J

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2013/11/encore-networks-acquire-classic-sitcoms.html#ixzz2l96LHJ3J

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)