End of 4DTV HBO-HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I read On Oct 17 2009, the 4DTV HBO HD channels are slated to end leaving only Discovery and Starz. Is this related to contractual issues also?

This is not good news either.

The same information is posted both at NPS and SRL. SRL says the service was discontinued by the vendor and they had no control over it. HBO may be simply finishing a transition to DVB-S2 distribution as DCII isn't as economical. What a bummer.

It's because of the transition to MPEG-4 S2 is over they no longer need the Mpeg-2 feeds.

Oh well, I dumped HBO-HD on my 4DTV sub several years ago because after the first couple of days of each month there wasn't anything to watch or they repeated what I watched several times. Bottom line is that they charge too much for any programming, IMHO.

Oh well, I dumped HBO-HD on my 4DTV sub several years ago because after the first couple of days of each month there wasn't anything to watch or they repeated what I watched several times. Bottom line is that they charge too much for any programming, IMHO.

That seems to be the same problem on all the movie channels...repeat..repeat..get's old after the second time. That's why I only go for either a one month or maybe a three month option depending on what movies are scheduled.

We can only hope. 4DTV sellers its time to take a look at the writting on the wall and start working on deals with programers and SA aka Cisco.

Now is the time. Not when every one else has left the building.

So what I'm reading into this, is long as DCII remains in use we will probably continue to have 4DTV. Once that ends and there are no reuplinked feeds from the providers converted to our format, it will just quietly go away.

It would be nice if they gave advance info. I never sub for more than 90 days at a time. I left NPS over losing paid subscription time that was " not refundable" after a receiver failed. I ended finally disputing the credit card charges and getting it waived months later after a long pursuit.

I just hope we don't loose Starz HD. Hated to see HBO go. We need all the HD channels we can get , not less.:)

the bad thing is they may exploit dc II combo mode before it's gone. DCII is a very aged standard and will go away. It has to. With dvb s2 becoming mainstream it would be almost crazy to keep renting the extra bandwidth on these satellites that it takes to distribute using old dvb or dc II standards. You can cut as much as 33-35% of the required bandwidth going with dvb s2. another beauty is if you go with SA-You don't have to pay motorola's access control center to authorize the recipients of your signal. You are your own ACC. It essentially decentralizes the ACC system.

One day our DSR-9XX's will be doorstops just like our VC-II's modules are now.
if it was not for comcast and HITS on W5-our systems would be done now. If HITs ever goes primarily dvb-s or s2 were screwed. It's coming. we will all be straight up FTA and that's it....but won't be so bad. it will be pizza dish or cable only for subscription channels.

the bad thing is they may exploit dc II combo mode before it's gone. DCII is a very aged standard and will go away. It has to. With dvb s2 becoming mainstream it would be almost crazy to keep renting the extra bandwidth on these satellites that it takes to distribute using old dvb or dc II standards. You can cut as much as 33-35% of the required bandwidth going with dvb s2. another beauty is if you go with SA-You don't have to pay motorola's access control center to authorize the recipients of your signal. You are your own ACC. It essentially decentralizes the ACC system.

Once the ACC was taken over by Comcast the rates went through the roof. Comcast has the bucks to buy things out and the power to charge what they want which sucks. :mad:

I think that has allot to do with why we can't get masters like the MTV suite anymore. They priced the tier bit access so high that Viacom said screw it

that's an unfortunate reality of large corporations taking over. It's happening to one of my old customers that I provide building maintenance services for over 12 years without ever one complaint. i may lose the account if the corporate management does not continue to honor my contract. they may or may not ...don't know yet but the do like me.

..... another beauty is if you go with SA-You don't have to pay motorola's access control center to authorize the recipients of your signal. You are your own ACC. It essentially decentralizes the ACC system.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but I think you're saying that if they abandon the home subscriptions and just want to have point to point encrypted signals, like to cable heads, etc, that they'd still need to use the Motorola control center??? If that's what you mean, I don't think they need to use motorola's control center at all. I think that all that's requirred is for them to put the unit IDs of their recipients in their authorization stream. Ie I think the control center is only necessary when they need to have subscriptions for multiple services all controlled at one point. But when an uplinker only has a few locations receiving their signals, I think that can all be done without involving the control center.
I may be wrong, but I think that's basically how the commercial DCII receivers are used. When I got my first 4200, I was in a group that knew someone at one of the facilities using DCII, and we just gave them our unit ID's and the contact entered them into the stream to authorize our receivers. I don't think it ever involved anyone at Motorola (General Instruments actually), plus I think the commercial receivers were used before the 4DTV system even started, so I don't think there even was a control center when the DCII stuff started. But again, I may be all wrong.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but I think you're saying that if they abandon the home subscriptions and just want to have point to point encrypted signals, like to cable heads, etc, that they'd still need to use the Motorola control center??? If that's what you mean, I don't think they need to use motorola's control center at all. I think that all that's requirred is for them to put the unit IDs of their recipients in their authorization stream. Ie I think the control center is only necessary when they need to have subscriptions for multiple services all controlled at one point. But when an uplinker only has a few locations receiving their signals, I think that can all be done without involving the control center.
I may be wrong, but I think that's basically how the commercial DCII receivers are used. When I got my first 4200, I was in a group that knew someone at one of the facilities using DCII, and we just gave them our unit ID's and the contact entered them into the stream to authorize our receivers. I don't think it ever involved anyone at Motorola (General Instruments actually), plus I think the commercial receivers were used before the 4DTV system even started, so I don't think there even was a control center when the DCII stuff started. But again, I may be all wrong.

You are somewhat right. The commercial DC-2's are authorized by the programmers themselves but the ACC is the center they have to go through since they maintain the backbone for DC2 auth out San Diego. This is how GI set it up and even though GI has no part in it anymore it still works the same. This is all on a small scale.

The big role of the ACC is for our subscriptions and multiple channels. Since any DC-2 can only decode one channel or mux of channels at a time the ACC needs to control what is needed to send different data to our decoders for multiple channels for our subscriptions. Comcast knew it was a big part of what is needed for us thats one of the reasons they bought out the ACC, also to control and maintain HITS for there cable affiliates. We may think were not dealing with Cable with our subs but in a round about way Comcast is taking our money from NPS, SRL etc to provide us access to any encrypted DC-2 channel. In short we all have Comcast cable from the sky.

powervu does away with all that. each encoder can from my understanding control it's own encryption from the site. No need for any tier bit fees to a control center.

If PowerVu went wide scale with us they would have to set up something like an ACC to get the job done. I wish I had the bucks to start up a new master subscription service for c band. Heck I would buy out NPS's c band dept and do good for the industry. It really hurts to see what is happening to the best possible signals out there. The bottom line is they don't want us to have any quality. They want to force feed us pizza and cable compressed crap and make us pay extreme dollars for it. Maybe when the economy falls flat on its face with a full out depression the MSO's will close there doors. Then we can start all over with OTA like way back in the day.

that's about what it would take. quality is not an issue. Most people coming from analog tv and cable will see an improvement in their picture even with the over compression of digital cable and pizza dish. It's kind of like they don't know what they are missing. Most people don't expect blue ray dvd quality from their cable or satellite or they think it's not possible.

we are a rare and unique group of people who understand the backbone of the industry and have the equipment to catch rare true quality feeds that most of the world will never see.

> Powervu does away with all that. each encoder can from my understanding control it's own encryption from the site. No need for any tier bit fees to a control center.

I do not think that is correct

From my other post;

Before purchasing your IRD, please contact NHK Global Media Services and receive an "IRD Order Form." The IRD retailer will not sell you an IRD without this "IRD Order Form."

IRD purchases are handled by the below sales representatives of Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.

SO from reading this, SA does the same thing. The programmer must authorize the device, then you send the paper work to SA and they "activate" the box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)