End OF The VOOM Forum?

vinnyv07

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2004
So....we all have read the news. I am very upset at the "pulling of the plug" on the VOOM service. I also have made a lot of buddies here at the forum and shutter at the fact that I will have to live with Directv's HD offerings in the near future. My questions are....What happens to the VOOM forum? I guess it would have to close down. Maybe we can keep it open just to talk of the very good HD that we did have.

The VOOM forum will be here for as long as VOOM is here.

We are already working on some new ideas and options which we hope will keep most of the VOOM fans around. :)

Stay Tuned!

we will be here until the last ray from the sky comes through the STB... It is up to you if you would like to stay...

I posted this over on the avs, but it think it fits better here at home...

Well I think I am progressing through the 5 stages of grief for the loss of Voom right on schedule. Which include the following:
1) Denial - "I can't believe that Voom is gone"
2) Anger - "WTF, if so many people wanted HD, why didn't more sign up?"
3) Barganing - "What if Dolan Sr is holding the last card? Can he save me?"
4) Depression - "That's where I am now"
Finally...
5) Acceptance - "Not until they kill the signal"

And then after that, we will open a club of VOOM veterans and will gether each week to share our memories! :D

Sean Mota said:
we will be here until the last ray from the sky comes through the STB... It is up to you if you would like to stay...

I'll always be here with you guys. This from a guy that works 16 hours a day. The people here are my on-line friends and I know this forum will be around for me and others.

Here It Is 442pm Est, And Still No Answers About 61.5 From The Guru's . Help Us Newbies, What Happen 's To Amc6, And Who Cares About 61.5 When Voom Still Holds 13 Tp On Amc6 Were Are These Tp's Listed In The Sell. Maybe Voom Will Move To Amc6 Take The 200mil From Echo For Cash On Hand.

HELP ME WITH THIS? ISSUE, WHAT HAPPEND TO AMC6 WHY NOT SELL THOSE TP'S AS WELL IF VOOM IS DEAD OR DYING, ALSO ARE THERE TW0 SATELLITES AT 61.5 BOTH WITH 13 TP'S. i DON'T THINK SO . WHAT IS THE CORRECT ANSWER?????

kelljc, this thread is about our Forum, but I will try to answer your question anyway: the leased transponders were not part of the deal, as far as I understand. Perhaps E* was not interested, or perhaps the lease is not transferrable - who knows. Theoretically, these transponders can be used to prolong VOOM's survival, but doesn't seem like a realistic scenario to me.

Plus to use those leased transponders would require a huge dish. It is a FSS birs so the signal requires a big dish to receive the signal. A lot of people are resistant to such a large Dish

Voom's main signal was a DBS signal and only required an 18" dish. In order to use the leased satellite would have required subscriber to ubgrade to something like a 37" dish.

kelljc said:
Here It Is 442pm Est, And Still No Answers About 61.5 From The Guru's . Help Us Newbies, What Happen 's To Amc6, And Who Cares About 61.5 When Voom Still Holds 13 Tp On Amc6 Were Are These Tp's Listed In The Sell. Maybe Voom Will Move To Amc6 Take The 200mil From Echo For Cash On Hand.
Sounds like a plan if VOOM were an independent entity fighting for their existence. However, VOOM is owned by CableVision and the shareholders have spoken; they don't want to spend any more money on VOOM.

Let's say VOOM currently has 50k subs. You're talking 3-5M for service calls just to move the dish over to the SES sat (72). Also, since VOOM needs more subscribers to break-even let's say they take on another 50k new subs over the next three months; that's another 35-40M in equipment and installation costs alone. Let's not even get into programming and operating costs.

The 200M from E* should basically pay for an orderly shutdown of VOOM without CableVision having to sink more money into the VOOM project. I wish I could be more optimistic, but the shareholders have spoken and the Board of Directors are carrying out the dismantling and sale of VOOM. I see it no other way. :no

Sean Mota said:
Well I will stay if the negative Staff members are told to go take a hike. Dont the Voom subs have enough problems with types like Pradike and miniz and red ufo?

I'll miss this Forum and the many fine people I have met here, but I certainly won't miss the Trolls. Anyway, I don't do D* or E* so when VOOM shuts down, I'm outta here. On the positive note, I sometimes forget my wife is such a hottie. :love Life will continue with or without VOOM.

^^^^^^^^^
VOOM TROLL :p

Have fun with Comcrap! Saetllite is the ONLY WAY and D* is still the best at it! ;)

riffjim4069 said:
I'll miss this Forum and the many fine people I have met here, but I certainly won't miss the Trolls. Anyway, I don't do D* or E* so when VOOM shuts down, I'm outta here. On the positive note, I sometimes forget my wife is such a hottie. :love Life will continue with or without VOOM.

riffjim4069 said:
I agree. Sometimes I too forget that your wife is... oh, nevermind, I'm not going there. :D :p
But life will continue without Voom -- just won't be as many movies to watch in HD!

Walter L. said:
But there is hope... Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are coming ;)

Yep, but only if you have DVI with HDCP or HDMI, no HD via component.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts