Enhanced Hardware in the original Joey?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
I know it seems we've got a dozen CES Hopper/Joey threads going, but one thing I'm pretty sure I heard mentioned in the Dish press conference yesterday is getting lost in the SJ and VJ discussions...that they are also upgrading the hardware in the regular Joey as well.

If that is true, I'd like to hear more about that, details, availability, etc...from any of the SatGuys contingent @ CES. :ear:

I know I get frustrated with how slow the current Joeys are in my system.

I know it seems we've got a dozen CES Hopper/Joey threads going, but one thing I'm pretty sure I heard mentioned in the Dish press conference yesterday is getting lost in the SJ and VJ discussions...that they are also upgrading the hardware in the regular Joey as well.

If that is true, I'd like to hear more about that, details, availability, etc...from any of the SatGuys contingent @ CES. :ear:

I know I get frustrated with how slow the current Joeys are in my system.

Yes, they did talk about that. Was it a software update or was it a new Joey model?

Yes, they did talk about that. Was it a software update or was it a new Joey model?

They went by it so quick, I'm not 100% sure, but I thought they mentioned it as new hardware. Hopefully its more than a software update.

I thought they said something about a faster chip so that would mean hardware, but I may have got that wrong. Yes, it just kinda got tossed out and they moved on quick.

So I'm guessing the new Joey will possibly have a 750-800MHz chip based on that article. So this will bring it to the performance of the H2k. I can live with that. Much better than the current 400MHz Joey 1.0. If this is true, I'll definitely be swapping my Joey out for the new one.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

So I'm guessing the new Joey will possibly have a 750-800MHz chip based on that article. So this will bring it to the performance of the H2k. I can live with that. Much better than the current 400MHz Joey 1.0. If this is true, I'll definitely be swapping my Joey out for the new one.

Same here for sure! I see a revamping of my setup, going from an Original Hopper & 2 Original Joey to a HWS, 1 Super Joey, and 1 of the new regular Joeys.

Same here for sure! I see a revamping of my setup, going from an Original Hopper & 2 Original Joey to a HWS, 1 Super Joey, and 1 of the new regular Joeys.

It's going to be tough doing better than my 2 Hopper, 2 Joey setup but I love the fact that I'm going to have some options now.

It's going to be tough doing better than my 2 Hopper, 2 Joey setup but I love the fact that I'm going to have some options now.
If reviews are good, I'll probably swap my second hopper for SJ. Only thing holding me back is the lousy folder system in the Hopper. Really wish we had our VIP folder functionality back.

If reviews are good, I'll probably swap my second hopper for SJ. Only thing holding me back is the lousy folder system in the Hopper. Really wish we had our VIP folder functionality back.

That would be nice plus the ability to protect recordings with a passcode like I can with my 722k.

That would be nice plus the ability to protect recordings with a passcode like I can with my 722k.

...and what would be really cool, is if they had something, like maybe an ICON, that would show you that a recording is Protected! :whistle:

<sigh>

...and what would be really cool, is if they had something, like maybe an ICON, that would show you that a recording is Protected! :whistle:

<sigh>

I think that would be fantastic!

I wonder if they'll make anyone swapping for a super Joey sign a 2 year contract? I like my 2 hopper setup but if the super Joey is 5 bucks cheaper then I could see people exchanging for them . I'm more excited about an improved interface. The current one is good but I don't know if it's worth losing a tuner.

I think that being able to have all my tuners show up integrated on one hopper would be worth it to lose one tuner. My wife uses one tuner just to watch HGTV , the other tuner my son uses for kid shows ,so that would be just enough for the super joey . The other three tuners would be used for my shows. Plus I would save the $5.00 a month -until they decide to hike it come next summer or next January during the annual price hikes.

How would we wire this new Joey into setups that have three or more Hoppers? Would there be any advantages with this new Joey in the mix? I would like for the new Joey and all Hoppers to be able to see each other.

How would we wire this new Joey into setups that have three or more Hoppers? Would there be any advantages with this new Joey in the mix? I would like for the new Joey and all Hoppers to be able to see each other.

Well it depends on which Joey. The one I'm talking about is just an updated Joey, much like the HwS vs the H2k. So wiring would be the same.

For the Super Joey, you could run another line from a DPP44, unless it's like the nodes and doesn't like being behind the power inserter, then in that case, you'd need a third DPP44. Then you'd use a diplexor to the SJ that will combine a line from a CLIENT port and a line from the switch into the SJ. That is my guess anyway.

Well it depends on which Joey. The one I'm talking about is just an updated Joey, much like the HwS vs the H2k. So wiring would be the same.

For the Super Joey, you could run another line from a DPP44, unless it's like the nodes and doesn't like being behind the power inserter, then in that case, you'd need a third DPP44. Then you'd use a diplexor to the SJ that will combine a line from a CLIENT port and a line from the switch into the SJ. That is my guess anyway.

Did we ever get anything official at all from Dish for three Hoppers? I thought it was folks like yourself crossing their fingers and making it work. Have a feeling it will be the same with the SJ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)