Enhanced Hardware in the original Joey?

I own a Joey. No problem with speed of operation. However, I rarely use it.

My Joey seems to be just as fast as my Hoppers

Interesting. I have mine on Ethernet. Maybe I'll put it on MoCA to see if it speeds up. Or maybe I just notice the difference more than most folks. Or could you put yours on Ethernet to see if it slows down any? Things like the guide scroll speed (PAGE UP/PAGE DN) and menus are just plain slower. It might make a difference that my Joey TV is right next to my HwS TV, so I can make direct comparisons.

EDIT: OP has one 1 Hopper and most likely his Joeys are on MoCA, he also has slow Joeys. It really feels to me like it's the hardware. Also the newer software updates made it slower. Either way I'll be getting the faster Joey as soon as I can. I think it will make a big difference. I never have breakups in the TV picture or anything, it's just the menus that feel slow.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have mine on Ethernet. Maybe I'll put it on MoCA to see if it speeds up. Or maybe I just notice the difference more than most folks. Or could you put yours on Ethernet to see if it slows down any? Things like the guide scroll speed (PAGE UP/PAGE DN) and menus are just plain slower. It might make a difference that my Joey TV is right next to my HwS TV, so I can make direct comparisons.

EDIT: OP has one 1 Hopper and most likely his Joeys are on MoCA, he also has slow Joeys. It really feels to me like it's the hardware. Also the newer software updates made it slower. Either way I'll be getting the faster Joey as soon as I can. I think it will make a big difference. I never have breakups in the TV picture or anything, it's just the menus that feel slow.

My Joey is Ethernet connected. I just checked the guide scroll speed with up/down arrows and the page up/down. It is a little slower than my Hopper and doesn't seem sluggish to me.

Good luck swapping a Joey for a faster Joey. It will probably be like the 622/722 situation where Dish cannot specify them in their system and you get what the installer has on his truck or which ever box the picker picks up in the warehouse. Unless you mean to buy your new faster joey from a Dish reseller that can select the proper one...

Sadly, I had that same thought along the way as well...seems just like something Dish would do. I may be tempted to purchase one, if that ends up being the only way.

You are correct, sir...my setup is just an ordinary standard 1H/2J install...and the Joeys are considerably slower than the Hopper is on the main TV.

My Joey is Ethernet connected. I just checked the guide scroll speed with up/down arrows and the page up/down. It is a little slower than my Hopper and doesn't seem sluggish to me.

Ethernet only? Yeah I might have overstated it a little, it's not unusable, I'm just spoiled by the HwS. Also excited to get new hardware.

Ethernet only? Yeah I might have overstated it a little, it's not unusable, I'm just spoiled by the HwS. Also excited to get new hardware.

Yes, my Joey and all Hoppers are connected to my router by Cat5 and all are in Ethernet mode. The Joey seems fast to me. But the Hopper is a little faster. Yep, you are spoiled. LOL

Heh, well I meant just having the Joey connected to Ethernet with no coax. Or is that what you mean?

Heh, well I meant just having the Joey connected to Ethernet with no coax. Or is that what you mean?

All my Hoppers and Joey are connected to my router and in Ethernet mode. All Hoppers and Joey are also connected by coax to the two Duo Nodes and jumper cable is connected to the two Nodes. I don't have any network issues. Maybe the Joey works better if both cables are connected. Can you connect your Joey with coax too and see if it runs a little faster?

Attachments

• HopperDiagram-PriJPEG-PTAT.jpg
    HopperDiagram-PriJPEG-PTAT.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Maybe sometime I'll connect coax to the Joey. I'll need to buy a tap though. I guess I'll know soon enough if it's the hardware when I get the updated Joey :) .

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Maybe sometime I'll connect coax to the Joey. I'll need to buy a tap though. I guess I'll know soon enough if it's the hardware when I get the updated Joey :) .

I would like to swap out my Joey for a Super Joey and keep all four Hoppers in the mix as long as all Hoppers can see each other if such a thing is possible.

Yeah they need to put out the fees and wiring diagrams already! I'm anxious to know.

Yeah they need to put out the fees and wiring diagrams already! I'm anxious to know.

It's a brand new day and I'm hoping for some new updates. If nothing today, hopefully I'll learn something during the Dish webinar I watch tomorrow.

My 2 cents on the VJ prediction...

People say it shouldn't be an equal fee as a Joey, but the fee is for programming access, not for the hardware.
Just like nextflix charges a monthly fee for up to a certain amount of devices (that they do not provide), why wouldn't Dish charge an equal amount to access programming per device (provided or not)? Your thoughts?

My 2 cents on the VJ prediction...

People say it shouldn't be an equal fee as a Joey, but the fee is for programming access, not for the hardware.
Just like nextflix charges a monthly fee for up to a certain amount of devices (that they do not provide), why wouldn't Dish charge an equal amount to access programming per device (provided or not)? Your thoughts?

I actually agree. People are going to struggle with this since they do not physically have anything for that $7 but it does make sense, you are getting the same experience. It shouldn't matter if you have a box there or not since you don't own it in the first place. What's the difference other than a feeling of physically having something?

What is the matter with you two? It's obvious that you pay for the programming via the Hopper. If dish doesn't provide anything but software for a VJ, why should this cost just the same as a physical Joey? To me that doesn't make sense. I'd think a one-time fee, or a very modest monthly fee, is reasonable. $7/mo in perpetuity for a VJ is not.

You pay $7 for any extra TV access you have with Dish regardless if it's an old 2700 receiver or a Joey so the equipment itself really doesn't matter, it's the access fee. I'd like to see the fee be less too but I just don't see Dish doing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)