EOL Amiko Mini SE and GEOsatpro MircoHD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Amiko Mini SE
MicroHD

Are both officially end of life units. My two favorite stb's boo boo!

microHD is not officially EOL. Complete systems are still available.

Also, support and warranty will be available indefinitely.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
I'm asking this as a complete noob : What capabilities will the Micro HD (or Amiko Mini) be missing a few years down the road? Will there be something that makes them obsolete like the old SD only receivers are today? Anything huge on the horizon?

I'm happy with my Micro as-is unless something really changes.They might have to pry it out of my cold,lifeless fingers to get it.lol

I expect I will be needing a SECOND receiver soon though. :rolleyes:

I'm happy with my Micro as-is unless something really changes.
The satellite part of microHD and it's hardware is hard to beat. The development time and the attention that was invested into it is unmatched by any other. The satellite industry is changing, but the signal delivery is not, unless we are talking about 2k, 4k, 5k and 8k. MicroHD will not be able to do above Full HD. But we know that UHD will not be widely used very soon. Also, if you don't need the internet feeds, you should be ok for a while.

One reason I chose the Micro was because it doesn't do internet.I get that elsewhere when needed.I may never record any FTA either.I like things simple.'that way mama can operate it w/o bugging me all the time.BTW,she loves the closed caption when available.

So I guess I'm good until the UHD gets irresistable or lightning or whatever kills it.

Thanks for the info,SatAV.

The Mini HD SE is a great receiver. As far as "future proof", it doesn't allow watching 4:2:2 content live without using a non-primary app. In other words you have to go to the app screen to watch 4:2:2 content instead of using the regular interface. Luckily that content is still very rare.

As mentioned it also won't do higher than 1080p resolution. I'm not sure if it does 16 PSK either. It might and I just haven't noticed.

I'm really hoping that Amiko doesn't consider the A3 to be the replacement for it. That would be bad for Amiko, because the Mini HD SE is a simpler more stable receiver. If they are really EOL on the Mini HD SE (they are still available at the moment), I hope they come out with a replacement that follows the simple stable approach rather than the "do everything and have an architecture like a little computer" approach.

Mini HD SE (they are still available at the moment).

Current stock only dealers can't order more because Amiko does not have anymore to send across the pond.

To clarify for Amiko stuff....

Amiko Mini HD SE production was discontinued because Amiko has several newer, more powerful models that do the same thing plus more. We are considering which Amiko model will replace it for North America but a decision hasn't been made yet. We have other things going on at the moment TBA soon. ;)

Existing Mini HD SE's in stock at Amiko Americas Retailers carry the 2 year limited Amiko Americas warranty. They will still receive firmware updates but like the rest of our ALi boxes, not often. They don't really need updates unless Youtube changes something. They do North American True FTA great out of the box as-is.

Mini HD SE is/was our basic, entry level receiver aimed toward guys that mostly do satellite but might want to play with a few other features like Youtube, streaming, movie playback etc. It works so well because it was designed well and runs a newer ALi chipset geared toward satellite. Any replacement for it will be the same True FTA focused setup except with even newer hardware, like ALi 3616.

Amiko A3 is by no means a replacement for Mini. A3's are geared toward guys doing home media centers, Nextflix, KODI (XBMC) 15 Isengard, streaming, Android Apps and the like. It is a much more complicated and powerful STB that is not for everybody since half of it is meant for internet and networking.

To be honest. Integration has never impressed me. No one ever does a good job with it, and they never get it right before discontinuing the updates and moving on to an updated product. i have found this to be the case with just about all hardware related products, TV's, BluRays etc.

The Amiko HDSE is a great STB. No offense to T134, but he said there are more powerful STBs that do the same thing plus more. But, discounting integration, they don't do more. If the receiver doesn't do more on the Satellite side, then whats the point of upgrading? No 4:2:2, No UHD, no ACM compatibility. All these things would make an STB better... But, they put out yet another STB and add MORE integration and NOTHING to improve what you can actually receive on the ARC.

The Amiko HDSE is my favorite STB. And until someone shows me a receiver that adds more satellite capabilities, no NEW product is going to attract me.

To be honest. Integration has never impressed me. No one ever does a good job with it, and they never get it right before discontinuing the updates and moving on to an updated product. i have found this to be the case with just about all hardware related products, TV's, BluRays etc.

The Amiko HDSE is a great STB. No offense to T134, but he said there are more powerful STBs that do the same thing plus more. But, discounting integration, they don't do more. If the receiver doesn't do more on the Satellite side, then whats the point of upgrading? No 4:2:2, No UHD, no ACM compatibility. All these things would make an STB better... But, they put out yet another STB and add MORE integration and NOTHING to improve what you can actually receive on the ARC.

The Amiko HDSE is my favorite STB. And until someone shows me a receiver that adds more satellite capabilities, no NEW product is going to attract me.

That is so true. An example is my BluRay player, which I got in 2011 and is now basically broken because of lack of software updates. If they had just made a BluRay player instead of trying to turn it into an app store, it would still be fully functional (other than lack of DRM updates possibly)... I intentionally bought a TV that was just a TV. I also really like the Mini HD SE, because it's just a satellite receiver.

I'm with iBoston 100%.
Disappointed that the Mini HD SE is EOL. I see a new A3 Quad Core is out... YAWN...
Don't really want an Android IPTV try to do it all box, just want a good Satellite receiver.
I can't and don't give a darn about streaming, apps or god forbid any form of silly ass social media, especially on my TV.
The Mini HD SE was that excellent satellite receiver for me. I just hope the next product that replaces it is not Android,
does not have IPTV or does not try to do anything except being an excellent satellite receiver.

I'm also like barley guy, I want my tv to just be a tv, my phone just to be a phone (my personal phone does not even have a camera), my dog just to be a dog, and I want my sat receiver to just be a sat receiver.

You guys must have missed my post above along with the streaming, Youtube and other "evil" internet functions in your Amiko Mini HD's. LOL

To recap....

Whatever we replace Mini HD SE with in North America will be on an ALi chipset running similar if not identical GUI as Mini HD SE.

It will NOT be Android.

It will have Youtube, IPTV and the other stuff that is already in our entire ALi line and has been since 2011.

It will be another model where the focus is TRUE FTA SATELLITE except on better, more powerful hardware than Mini HD SE. The other stuff is there in the background if you want to play with it. Like Mini HD SE, it won't be a media center or XBMC device or anything but a satellite receiver with a few limited internet options.

Disappointed that the Mini HD SE is EOL. I see a new A3 Quad Core is out... YAWN...
Don't really want an Android IPTV try to do it all box, just want a good Satellite receiver.

I still think the Micro HD is a sweet little box and that is used quite a bit yet.

I can fully relate with the post, however, the times are changing and the internet part is growing by leaps and bounds and not showing any signs of slowing down.
Who want to remain years behind the curve ball?
I never dreamed I would be watching over 50% of the tv programming from the internet yet that is what is happening here already.

Change is never easy.

I still think the Micro HD is a sweet little box and that is used quite a bit yet.

I can fully relate with the post, however, the times are changing and the internet part is growing by leaps and bounds and not showing any signs of slowing down.
Who want to remain years behind the curve ball?
I never dreamed I would be watching over 50% of the tv programming from the internet yet that is what is happening here already.

Change is never easy.

I proudly and willingly like being behind the curve, I live in the woods and heat with a woodstove and grow as much as my own food as I can. Its a lifestyle choice. Don't want to keep up with the Jones's or anybody else.
All the TV I enjoy is on Metv, PBS, Movies, and sometimes H&I. Don't care the see much of anything produced these days.
I don't really care to use a form of media where all activities and viewing habits can be tracked.

Ironically I do work in a high tech field by day, but prefer low tech on my off days.
I engineer vast technical complexities by day (IP, WAN, LAN, Internet, IPTV, VOIP and other integration) but prefer simplicity for myself.

If you were a cobbler, your family would probably not have shoes either.

Ironically I do work in a high tech field by day, but prefer low tech on my off days.

There is nothing wrong with that.
Everyone has their own needs, desires and wants. Not all of them are the same. If it was would make for a dull world.

Not many can grow all their own food. You & I are much alike in that area.
I did give up the wood stove due to the dirt and dust about 10 years ago.
I do differ on technology and while I might not embrace it right off I like to run with it to the fullest once I have it.

I'm with you guys on food growing. I lost count how many dozens of jars I canned this year.

Reactions: SatelliteAV
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)