EOL Amiko Mini SE and GEOsatpro MircoHD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow this thread pretty much sums up what it's like to be ADD like me for a day lol

I would love to EOL some moles in the back yard.

Wow this thread pretty much sums up what it's like to be ADD like me for a day lol

I would love to EOL some moles in the back yard.
See you can't even start a thread and it stay on topic. :D

Somebody might as well add some anti-mole tips!
My cat (a Snowshoe) loves to hunt rodents. Have you considered one? EOL rodent remains are on our front porch all the time. Mostly mice but one time he got really hungry and dug up a mole.

Now, if only I could train him to go on the roof and hunt acorn woodpeckers. During acorn season they sound like jack hammers on my tile roof, and we are surrounded by oaks. But they are a federally protected endangered species, so I can do nothing.

Reactions: KE4EST and fred555
To bring this topic somewhat back on topic. Ive stuck with my amiko 8240 because since that model non other has brought more features to receive new feeds like 422, uhd, acm vcm, etc... The amiko hd se is great almost bought one but couldnt do it just for doing sat over ip as that part of it skillfully developed by iboston was buggy and never fully developed before amiko moved to new models. That was sad and Ive seen that trend repeat. I understand the need to keep selling units but it is still depressing and its my belief that it will leave more and more with a bad taste killing the hobby in the end anyways just slower as people become disgruntled and frustrated. Now I will say this I do love the Amiko line. I love it. I just want to see the bugs fixed for the useful features and I want to see new satellite features like iboston. I will continue to wait to see what the future brings as far as new satellite receiving features. I have good solid well supported long term boxes like a roku etc for streaming. I know that the roku will work and be supported long term and will never count on a satellite box with a short support cycle for internet streaming. Internet technology and streams change too often and those short life cycle boxes are left in the dust in no time. I just want to show my support for more satellite receiving features. Good to see you posting iboston.

Now back on topic:
ghh.jpg

I agree I don't like the fact that they are moving away from the LAN port, just like laptops.

Agreed. I wish they would go to gigabit lan ports rather than 100 meg though. My hub and all my computers are gigabit, and video files can be very large.

As far as non-satellite features (sort of), the one I'd really like to have is an FTP server that allows access to the video files, along with the gigabit ethernet. That's so I can transfer files off the receiver to the big hard drive on my PVR computer without unplugging the drive on the receiver. Also, the FTP server should be running all the time in the background rather than being an Android app, so I can do the transfer daily on a timer.

If the replacement for the Mini HD SE has those two things and is as stable as the current one, I'd buy it no question.

Reactions: Dee_Ann and fred555
I like the top one. Impulse SAT

Reactions: fred555
If the HD8150 and HD8250+ are out of the running then my next choice would be the Micro HD SE. It's the only one left that has a LAN port and provides A/V out jacks through a simple cable like the Mini HD SE did. Both Impulse models are WiFi (one through USB and the other built in) and have no A/V out unless you buy a scart adapter. The one thing I didn't care for about the Amiko Mini HD SE (probably the only thing) was lack of front panel controls but it made up for that in many other ways. If they go with either of the Impulse models that means I'd still have to go without front panel controls and buy a usb to lan adapter to have a wired ethernet connection and buy a scart adapter to have a/v out for recording. If that's the choice then they've lost me as a potential buyer. :(

Last edited:
I agree I don't like the fact that they are moving away from the LAN port, just like laptops.
The GeosatPro µHD had no network connectivity at all and it seemed to be a popular and simple satellite receiver.
As far as a simple satellite receiver goes I really don't need network connectivity at all.
Out of the three Mini HD SEs I have, I connected the first one to the network when I first got it just to check out the features.
None of the three are connected to the network ever now. I think its because I like the format of television. You turn it on and there is something already playing. As far as internet goes, I really don't want to have to enter search terms to try to find something to watch as with Youtube. I just want to turn it on an change channels.

I may be weird but one of the features I like about the Mini HD SE vs GeosatPro µHD is the LED Clock!

Since my goal before the EOL announcement was to standardize all my receivers in the house to a single model and standardize the channel lists among them, I am wondering if the channel list from a Mini HD SE would copy over to the Micro HD SE or the Impulse?
Not a show stopper on the channel lists, so either of the remaining two, if as stable as the Mini HD SE, would be OK, but I have preference for the clock.

So my choice in order would probably be:
1. Impulse
2. Micro HD SE

Last edited:
The GeosatPro µHD had no network connectivity at all and it seemed to be a popular and simple satellite receiver.
As far as a simple satellite receiver goes I really don't need network connectivity at all.
Out of the three Mini HD SEs I have, I connected the first one to the network when I first got it just to check out the features.
None of the three are connected to the network ever. I think its because I like television. You turn it on and there is something already playing. As far as internet goes, I really don't want to have to enter search terms to try to find something to watch as with Youtube. I just want to turn it on an change channels.

I may be weird but the feature I like about the Mini HD SE vs µHD is the LED Clock!

I'm the same way, I like looking through a few channels and picking something to watch and a lot of times you happen to catch something on you really like that you wouldn't think to search for on Netflix, YouTube, etc. My wife and daughter think it's strange that I can search for a hour or more on our Roku's and get frustrated because I can't find anything that I want to watch, but on the OTA ant or the FTA dishes, I'm watching something usually within a minute or so.

Amen! I will never be an IPTV person for that exact reason. I had a Roku at one time but gave it away.
I spent way too much time searching and not watching.
What if IPTV options would be as simple as FTA? I am same way when it comes for searching, but then some IPTV channels offer favorite feeds, so why not?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts