Epix is now in 4K will DirecTV ever add?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Epix now has 4K on demand content available through Tmobile (Layer 3 TV) and Dish. Wondering if we will ever see this added to DirecTV. I remember from an article way back DirecTV agreed to it in the current contract but declined to carry it. It would be a nice one to have considering they now have 4K movies on demand, and would like to become the first 4K full time movie channel. It would be cool to see them add this. Could you imagine Epix in 4K with Dolby Atmos surround.

Epix will offer 4K streaming through its apps

I find it interesting that U-Verse carries it, AT&T obviously has a relationship with EPIX. Perhaps whenever the carriage negotiations come up for MGM HD we might see it.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I find it interesting that U-Verse carries it, AT&T obviously has a relationship with EPIX. Perhaps whenever the carriage negotiations come up for MGM HD we might see it.
It would also depend on if AT&T still plans on keeping UVerseTV and not replacing it with that new DTV Premium OTT service that might launch this Fall.

It would also depend on if AT&T still plans on keeping UVerseTV and not replacing it with that new DTV Premium OTT service that might launch this Fall.
Those are 2 entirely formats, 1 more than likely has nothing to do with the other.

I'd be willing to bet big money that Uverse TV goes away. Not right away, they'll need to shake the bugs out of the IP version of Directv but once they do I bet they will stop doing new installs of Uverse TV. Then they'll wait for a couple years of attrition before trying to push the rest off it.

I'd be willing to bet big money that Uverse TV goes away. Not right away, they'll need to shake the bugs out of the IP version of Directv but once they do I bet they will stop doing new installs of Uverse TV. Then they'll wait for a couple years of attrition before trying to push the rest off it.
Could they stop doing UVerseTV installs if DTV over IP comes out this Fall but let the current UVerseTV customers stay on it while they work the bugs out of DTV over IP?

Could they stop doing UVerseTV installs if DTV over IP comes out this Fall but let the current UVerseTV customers stay on it while they work the bugs out of DTV over IP?
I'm sure they could and would expect that to be what they do IF they ever get that far along.

Aren't they both IPTV? UVerseTV is Managed IPTV and DTV over the internet is unmanaged IPTV?

That is correct. I too think we will eventually see all IP platforms merge into what DirecTV Now is with DVR functionality that is rolling out now. To the end user it doesnt matter as it's virtually the same riding over the same pipe. The only thing is you would use a roku or bring your own device versus ATT giving you a uverse box. I could even see them offering a Roku for a prepaid commitment like they do now with DirecTV Now.

That is correct. I too think we will eventually see all IP platforms merge into what DirecTV Now is with DVR functionality that is rolling out now. To the end user it doesnt matter as it's virtually the same riding over the same pipe. The only thing is you would use a roku or bring your own device versus ATT giving you a uverse box. I could even see them offering a Roku for a prepaid commitment like they do now with DirecTV Now.

Except that AT&T's CEO has been pretty clear that there is a new "full Directv over IP" product coming by the end of this year that will be distinct from Directv Now. AFAIK the main difference is that it will use Directv provided clients. Maybe that will get around some contractual restrictions for some content, or maybe that's just to provide a more traditional experience (i.e. Directv managed software, replaces clients if they fail, etc.)

So, if I have Directv Now ...at my home ... seeing its streaming based, can I also use it at my cottage provided I have internet there ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)