Equipment exchange 301 for 311

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PALL MALL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
On friday I came home and found a dish network box sitting on my porch. Opened it up and they sent me a dp311 with equipment exchange instructions. At first I thought they're trying to scam me into the receiver lease fee. But I think they're going 8psk soon, and trying to keep customers from loosing service. The 311 seems sluggish compared to the 301 but really has no apparent differences.
Has anyone else received a 311 yet?

I'm really pleased with Dish, customer service is great everyone I spoke to was helpful and friendly. The price is unbelievable only $15 a month for the welcome pack, encore, and cinemax for a penny deal. I didnt ask or want new receiver but got one free and I own it. They even offered to send someone out to the house to make sure the dish was peaked and waive the $30 fee. They waived activation fees and the new smart card fee. Dish has the cheapest prices and has treated me great, I hope to say with them for years to come.

Last edited:
I believe it's been posted that the switchover is expected next year. Really soon.

What is the point of going through a swap to an intermediate step like 8PSK without MPEG-4?
More of that great Dishlogic?

If you are go to swap out everybody's SD boxes why not send them a SD capable 8PSK that can also do MPEG-4.

What I would like to know is this, since the OP is obviously using the WA and says he has welcome pack, encore, and cinemax what part of that qualified for a free required equipment swap. I assume you don't have locals since you are only paying $15 so your location would be irrelevant.

I think this is the reason ... Dish Network has a lot of churn therefore they do not want to spend anymore than they have to at the current time to swap out receivers. They must have 311 receivers left from those that were sent in that needed repaired. I do not believe they are making the 311 anymore. Once they go through the rest of their stock of 311 receivers or if they run out temporarily then they will ship out 211 receivers. Some people have already been getting 211 receivers in exchange for 301 or legacy receivers.

Does WA have an 8PSK locals market? They may be starting with those markets first. They could be starting to do swapouts in certain areas.

The only differences between the 301 & the 311
-the 311 is 8PSK capable...the 301 isnt
-the 311 had a built in card, the 301 did not..this is moot with the card swap

My dad has 3 301's and a 311 and until the card swap the only difference was the internal card

I'm with stargazer. Dish has a lot of 8PSK units that are non-MPEG-4 capable. They've no doubt calculated very carefully how long to get their money's worth out of the old before replacing with the new. It's coming, just a matter of when. The bandwidth savings will ensure that. Just not "soon."

They may be starting with those markets first. They could be starting to do swapouts in certain areas.

They cant even offer the distant network waiver's in my area, maybe some of the premium channels are switching first?

My question is I have an owned 501 and an owned 508 active on an account. What will they replace that with??? I dont want to pay a dvr fee!!! Thats why I have 501 and 508's

Some older forums I read said they were already switching them for leased 522's. Im thinking about buying a 501/508 on ebay. Does anyone know if there 8psk capable?

My question is I have an owned 501 and an owned 508 active on an account. What will they replace that with??? I dont want to pay a dvr fee!!! Thats why I have 501 and 508's

A very good point. If they are decent, they should grandfather your no DVR fee. Let's see what happens with that. Someone needs to report when Dish swaps their 50X's and 510 for 8PSK DVR models and if they have to pay the DVR fee. I have an uncle in your situation. I hope they don't charge him the DVR fee.

What is the point of going through a swap to an intermediate step like 8PSK without MPEG-4?
More of that great Dishlogic?

If you are go to swap out everybody's SD boxes why not send them a SD capable 8PSK that can also do MPEG-4.

What I would like to know is this, since the OP is obviously using the WA and says he has welcome pack, encore, and cinemax what part of that qualified for a free required equipment swap. I assume you don't have locals since you are only paying $15 so your location would be irrelevant.

Because the only boxes with MPEG-4 capability are the ViP HD boxes, and they are too expensive for Charlie to hand out as freebies to people who are not subscribing to HD. Dish is going to clear its inventory of SD 8PSK boxes before they have to even consider sending SD subs ViP boxes. They may have to do that, but they sure will try to avoid it. However, you might feel better knowing that Dish hasn't been manufacturing SD boxes for some time now. They are only manufacturing HD (MPEG-4) boxes, so Charlie made a decision for the future quite some time ago because the the ultimate plan is for ALL channels on all satellites on Dish to be in MPEG-4.

Put plainly, it is less expensive for Dish to replace the SD's with 8PSK non-MPEG-4 boxes, for now. Charlie was a cost analyst and no one in pay-TV knows the spreadsheet and numbers better than cost-cutter Charlie. Dish has solid financials and is more conservative on budget than any of his competitors. Oh, Charles knows what he is doing, all right.

alot of folks already have 8PSK non HD recievers...its just a few models that need to be changed out

Yes, millions of SD 8PSK out there, in fact. A very good point, sir. Dish's promotion of upgrades has helped Dish having the subscriber pay for this change-out, especially the DVR upgrades. I'm guessing that it is the 301's that will be most of the change-outs.

probably...I can think of my family members....oof...we're looking 10-12 301's in the family...thats a lot of upgrades ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts