Error 775 w/ details: Any ideas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

designatedd41

Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Wantagh, NY
Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some help. Before anyone crucifies me, I've searched this forum and have seen previous posts about the 775 error and some of the possible causes (bad power inserter, bad LNB, bad splitter, etc.). Let me give you the background of my DirecTV system first:

- Installed September of 2013 (just over a month ago)
- 1 Genie (HR34) and 3 Genie Minis
- Installer put up a Swimline-3 Dish (I think that's accurate)
- All of the coax is entirely brand new (and was tone tested by both the installer and a DirecTV tech in a subsequent visit).

Over the past 2-3 weeks, I've been receiving the 775 error probably 1 time a day on average (sometimes more and sometimes less). Typically, it's resolved by just resetting the genie (red button by the access card). I can also remove the power from the power inserter and plug it back in and sometimes that works but the reset of the genie almost always works.

I have no idea what is triggering this error. This past Saturday DirecTV sent a Tech and a Tech Supervisor out to my home (Long Island, NY). Tone tested every coax line and it came back ok. They replaced the splitter and the power inserter as a precaution. That lasted about 2 days as this evening I received the 775 error again. I reset the genie and 5 minutes later I was back in business.

The only thing the Tech didn't do was replace the LNB or the new coax running from the Dish to the splitter, but he said it was fine. And I would think that if I reboot the genie and it starts working, it wouldn't be the LNB?

I'm basically at a loss though. The power inserter is not the issue. It's been replaced. The splitter has been replaced. As I type this, I have service but there's a good chance I'll lose service tomorrow.

I should note that the 775 error ONLY gets triggered when I go to watch television in the room with the genie. If I'm watching in a room with the genie minis, it's fine. But for some reason, almost like if the genie goes from being "idle" to being "active" it triggers this error I'm getting (that might make no sense but that's the exact scenario I'm dealing with).

My issue is currently with DirecTV "case management". They are considering sending me legacy DVR equipment (the HR24 and 3 HD Receivers) in lieu of the genie since I'm a new customer and their Tech could not resolve the problem. They indicated that if it can not be resolved, they'll let me out of my agreement with no penalty and I can look for service elsewhere. I'm supposed to hear back from them tomorrow. I told them I don't want to leave the service; I really like it (when it works) but it's becoming increasingly unreliable.

Sorry for the long explanation. Just wanted to be thorough and see if anyone could provide some help or assistance.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some help. Before anyone crucifies me, I've searched this forum and have seen previous posts about the 775 error and some of the possible causes (bad power inserter, bad LNB, bad splitter, etc.). Let me give you the background of my DirecTV system first:

- Installed September of 2013 (just over a month ago)
- 1 Genie (HR34) and 3 Genie Minis
- Installer put up a Swimline-3 Dish (I think that's accurate)
- All of the coax is entirely brand new (and was tone tested by both the installer and a DirecTV tech in a subsequent visit).

Over the past 2-3 weeks, I've been receiving the 775 error probably 1 time a day on average (sometimes more and sometimes less). Typically, it's resolved by just resetting the genie (red button by the access card). I can also remove the power from the power inserter and plug it back in and sometimes that works but the reset of the genie almost always works.

I have no idea what is triggering this error. This past Saturday DirecTV sent a Tech and a Tech Supervisor out to my home (Long Island, NY). Tone tested every coax line and it came back ok. They replaced the splitter and the power inserter as a precaution. That lasted about 2 days as this evening I received the 775 error again. I reset the genie and 5 minutes later I was back in business.

The only thing the Tech didn't do was replace the LNB or the new coax running from the Dish to the splitter, but he said it was fine. And I would think that if I reboot the genie and it starts working, it wouldn't be the LNB?

I'm basically at a loss though. The power inserter is not the issue. It's been replaced. The splitter has been replaced. As I type this, I have service but there's a good chance I'll lose service tomorrow.

I should note that the 775 error ONLY gets triggered when I go to watch television in the room with the genie. If I'm watching in a room with the genie minis, it's fine. But for some reason, almost like if the genie goes from being "idle" to being "active" it triggers this error I'm getting (that might make no sense but that's the exact scenario I'm dealing with).

My issue is currently with DirecTV "case management". They are considering sending me legacy DVR equipment (the HR24 and 3 HD Receivers) in lieu of the genie since I'm a new customer and their Tech could not resolve the problem. They indicated that if it can not be resolved, they'll let me out of my agreement with no penalty and I can look for service elsewhere. I'm supposed to hear back from them tomorrow. I told them I don't want to leave the service; I really like it (when it works) but it's becoming increasingly unreliable.

Sorry for the long explanation. Just wanted to be thorough and see if anyone could provide some help or assistance.

Thanks.

Well, the only thing left is the LNB or the recvrs itself.
You said the coax is new.

Your getting the error on the main unit, but not the mini ...

Now, did you ask for the Genie when you signed up or is that just what they gave you ?
IF you don't have a need for 5 tuners, the HR24's are very reliable. (2 tuners).

IIRC, 775 refers to the Power Inserter, you said they replaced it, have them replace the fittings to it next, or the cable, but you said it's new, so it might just be a bad fitting ... if the strand from the coax has a piece wrapped around the copper, only takes one, that will cause issues with any service.

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys designatedd41!

Since a 775 error is your Genie not communicating with the lnb, it could be anything in between. Is the cable from the dish solid core copper? Scrape the center conductor. If it's not solid it will show silver underneath.

Thanks Jimbo. They actually moved the power inserter to the brand new coax they ran back in September during the install (we had a new line added for my son's bedroom). So the inserter has now been in multiple locations in the home (some with coax a few months old and currently on a coax installed by DirecTV in September). It's solid copper. I scraped the connection to be sure and the Tech(s) that came Saturday checked for the same thing. I am 100% certain this isn't a coax issue.

It just happened again about 20 minutes ago. I'm going to post a YouTube video of it because I recorded the entire ordeal. After 3 reboots of the genie it finally came back on. And again, ONLY happens when I use the genie box. If I don't set foot in that room and I only use the genie minis, I'll be fine.

I definitely don't have a need for 5 tuners. I actually requested the legacy equipment (the HR24) at the suggestion of a friend with DirecTV service who also happens to be in their developer program and labeled the genie "buggy". So I know what I'm getting myself into by downgrading (if it comes to that). But I didn't have the option to select the old DVR when I signed up. At least not without shelling out $500.

?So I have to think it's either the Genie itself or the LNB.

Well, the only thing left is the LNB or the recvrs itself.
You said the coax is new.

Your getting the error on the main unit, but not the mini ...

Now, did you ask for the Genie when you signed up or is that just what they gave you ?
IF you don't have a need for 5 tuners, the HR24's are very reliable. (2 tuners).

IIRC, 775 refers to the Power Inserter, you said they replaced it, have them replace the fittings to it next, or the cable, but you said it's new, so it might just be a bad fitting ... if the strand from the coax has a piece wrapped around the copper, only takes one, that will cause issues with any service.

Thanks Jimbo. They actually moved the power inserter to the brand new coax they ran back in September during the install (we had a new line added for my son's bedroom). So the inserter has now been in multiple locations in the home (some with coax a few months old and currently on a coax installed by DirecTV in September). It's solid copper. I scraped the connection to be sure and the Tech(s) that came Saturday checked for the same thing. I am 100% certain this isn't a coax issue.

It just happened again about 20 minutes ago. I'm going to post a YouTube video of it because I recorded the entire ordeal. After 3 reboots of the genie it finally came back on. And again, ONLY happens when I use the genie box. If I don't set foot in that room and I only use the genie minis, I'll be fine.

I definitely don't have a need for 5 tuners. I actually requested the legacy equipment (the HR24) at the suggestion of a friend with DirecTV service who also happens to be in their developer program and labeled the genie "buggy". So I know what I'm getting myself into by downgrading (if it comes to that). But I didn't have the option to select the old DVR when I signed up. At least not without shelling out $500.

?So I have to think it's either the Genie itself or the LNB.

I agree, also, like I mentioned before, if you don't have a need fro the 5 tuner and they balk about the Genie, the HR24's work fine.
I'm thinking they may swap out your genie first though ... ask them if they do decide to swap it out, if they can get you a Genie HR44 instead, it's faster.

Thanks again Jimbo. I'm going to see what they say. I'd be agreeable to going up to the HR44 (I wonder if they'd throw in the wireless genies) just to rule out the box. I'd also like to see if they can replace the LNB. That would basically be a rebuild of my entire system (new splitter, LNB, boxes, and power inserter). If THAT doesn't do it, then I'm lost.

I'm hopeful. I don't want to leave the service but with the error so persistent it's borderline unreliable in it's current state. And just to completely rule out the coax, I googled the exact type of coax used by my contractor 5 months ago when we had the house gutted. It's solid copper/copper conductors. I can't post the link to it as a newbie but if you google RCA-VHW11N you can see. It was scraped and tested by me and by the DirecTV Tech that came to the house. Even if that was it, we ruled it out when we switched everything over to their newly run line from September.

Hoping this has a good outcome. Thanks for the advise!

I agree, also, like I mentioned before, if you don't have a need fro the 5 tuner and they balk about the Genie, the HR24's work fine.
I'm thinking they may swap out your genie first though ... ask them if they do decide to swap it out, if they can get you a Genie HR44 instead, it's faster.

Thanks again Jimbo. I'm going to see what they say. I'd be agreeable to going up to the HR44 (I wonder if they'd throw in the wireless genies) just to rule out the box. I'd also like to see if they can replace the LNB. That would basically be a rebuild of my entire system (new splitter, LNB, boxes, and power inserter). If THAT doesn't do it, then I'm lost.

I'm hopeful. I don't want to leave the service but with the error so persistent it's borderline unreliable in it's current state. And just to completely rule out the coax, I googled the exact type of coax used by my contractor 5 months ago when we had the house gutted. It's solid copper/copper conductors. I can't post the link to it as a newbie but if you google RCA-VHW11N you can see. It was scraped and tested by me and by the DirecTV Tech that came to the house. Even if that was it, we ruled it out when we switched everything over to their newly run line from September.

Hoping this has a good outcome. Thanks for the advise!

Usually the solid copper vs copper clad isn't the issue UNLESS its an extremely LONG run from the dish to the power inserter ... how far is the connection from your lnb to the PI ?

I had the same error (in my case it was about 2 months after an install) on my HR-34. It started out like yours, but eventually got worse so that it would never get signal. It turned out to the be the LNB, The tech came out and replaced it, and I've been problem free since.

Have they replaced the Receiver itself yet? Kinda sounds like an intermittent tuner failure to me.
You could try re-running the satellite setup.. I've seen that work before on similar issues. Even though it's already set to the correct settings, re-running it could provide a better "Lock" for the tuners (for lack of a better term).
Is your Case manager in Idaho by any chance? If so, let me know their name and I'll talk with them about it.

Thanks again everyone for trying to help. A tech came out (with their Supervisor) this morning. Was here for close to 4 hours. Let me answer a few of the questions posed:

- The cable runs aren't very long. Maybe 10-15 feet from the Dish to the splitter? And then from the splitter to the room where the genie is, I'd guess is approx. 10 feet. The Tech said they were short runs. I don't have a big house.

- I practically begged the Tech to replace the LNB but he said it was perfect. I am getting pretty much "98-100" on signal tests but I was getting that before (when it was working).

- They haven't replaced the box and again, I've pretty much begged them to but they won't (at least not yet). He had an HR44 on his truck today and said if all else failed he'd replace the box.

They were using a tool to determine if all of the internal coax was good, and all tests checked out ok. They were getting a "lock" on the signal when they ran tests (which I was told was very good). They also again replaced the power inserter just to be safe.

Ultimately, they asked me if I'd mind having them bypass the "in the wall" coax that my contractor ran 6 months ago and ran a brand new line from the splitter to my den where the genie is. So now I have the power inserter (Power to SWM) using the BRAND NEW coax cable they just ran today, and the other end from the power inserter (Signal to IRD) is running to the HR34. They absolutely can't use coax as an excuse because it's like 4 hours old. I'm not happy I had to drill another hole in the wall but if that rules it out in their mind, so be it.

What the Techs told me was that before they can replace any equipment, we need to rule out that there is no breakage in the copper or cable and they can't see that in the wall (even if tone tests are ok and it comes back "locked").

We'll see what happens. If you don't hear from me within a few weeks, I'll post and give everyone an update that it worked. If I'm back in the next day or two, that means it was the box or LNB (that they haven't replaced even though I've pleaded with them to).

-

Have they replaced the Receiver itself yet? Kinda sounds like an intermittent tuner failure to me.
You could try re-running the satellite setup.. I've seen that work before on similar issues. Even though it's already set to the correct settings, re-running it could provide a better "Lock" for the tuners (for lack of a better term).
Is your Case manager in Idaho by any chance? If so, let me know their name and I'll talk with them about it.

Yeah I actually re-ran the setup the other night. I ran diagnostics on the box and actually wiped the hard drive and started over. The error came back 2 nights later.

My issue went to case management even though she didn't give me her name (or she did and I didn't get it), they gave me a case management direct number and a 4 digit code to provide when I called.

Last edited:
Can we get that case management number removed? That's not a number that needs to be thrown out there. Emails yes, that number, no! As for the OP, I have to ask, has the LNB, ALL coax, power inserter, connectors, splitter been replaced? This is what needs to be done. More than likely won't solve the problem as I believe it's the 34, I see them do this same thing several times a week.

Throwing my 2 cents in,did they happen to replace the SWiM when they were out there ? When I was having issues with 775 which then graduated to 776 errors, replaced both the PI and the SWiM 16 and knock on wood the problem has not returned.

Can we get that case management number removed? That's not a number that needs to be thrown out there. Emails yes, that number, no! As for the OP, I have to ask, has the LNB, ALL coax, power inserter, connectors, splitter been replaced? This is what needs to be done. More than likely won't solve the problem as I believe it's the 34, I see them do this same thing several times a week.

I'll go back and remove. Sorry that's not a direct number to a case manager. It's a general # and I have to provide a pin (which I didn't) but I'll remove.

After 3 visits (the initial install, the Tech & Supervisor on Saturday and the Tech/Supervisor today, they've replaced is the splitter, the power inserter, and the coax cable from the splitter to the genie. Everything else has been kept (in spite of the fact that I asked them to replace the HR34 and the LNB). They insisted it wasn't the problem after running tests. He had a new HR44 sitting in a box inside my front door for about 30 minutes but said we couldn't swap out the box until "absolutely necessary".

It's almost like they are taking this one step at a time (literally) and doing this by process of elimination each visit. So at this rate, 3 visits from now everything will be fixed.

Throwing my 2 cents in,did they happen to replace the SWiM when they were out there ? When I was having issues with 775 which then graduated to 776 errors, replaced both the PI and the SWiM 16 and knock on wood the problem has not returned.

Nope just the PI, the splitter, and the coax feed from the splitter going to the genie. They would not replace the SWIM, the LNB, or the Genie even though I asked. I was trying to be a bit pushy without being a total jerk. Between 2 Tech visits in the past 4 days which have lasted a collective 8 hours, and probably another 1-2 hours on the phone with various people in customer service and retention, this is where I'm at.

I'll know if I'm good if the coax they replaced did it, but I'm not betting on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts