Error Code 013/014: unable to play some programs from EHD

Unbelievable! Content owners forcing Dish to disable old recordings is guaranteed, absolutely positively I repeat GUARANTEED, to get their content recorded elsewhere before it's lost/gone forever. :(

I know just the place to look as well... Just like so many others...

While not a huge bummer for me, just coming over to Dish, but I was going to attach an EHD for the purpose of recording many movies and then watching them over time, possibly after my free trials were over. I guess it may not be worth it after all.

I know that with my old DirecTivo, I was able to take advantage of freeviews, etc, and record anything I wanted and watch them after the freeview was over. Heck, had some recordings for over a year.

Sorry - dont mean to make a Hopper-Tivo comparison in my first post, but just stating it as an observation.

Welcome and good first post!

While not a huge bummer for me, just coming over to Dish, but I was going to attach an EHD for the purpose of recording many movies and then watching them over time, possibly after my free trials were over. I guess it may not be worth it after all.

The EHD helps Dish reduce churn because (at least in the past) it works reliably and allows you to do things like you have with your Tivo. When customers are looking to switch providers, they also have to consider losing their 5TB of irreplaceable programs, then they think twice (and thrice...) about doing that. But if Dish renders those old programs unusable anyway, then that reason to remain with Dish is gone, and replaced with an impetus to leave instead.

I'm keeping my VIP receivers for now.

I haven't had any problems with playback of content from channels I no longer subscribe to. If this in fact changes, it will be a very dumb move on Dish's part and I will be sure to complain loudly to them via chat and phone.

All I know is from what I have researched that this is how it is supposed to work for all DVRs.

Zach this is a rare occasion where I have to say you or maybe your information is just plain wrong. No programming on any of my receivers has ever not played back after a freeview or after I dropped the channel. ( talking about a 508 or now 612) Pay per view yes, where it was specifically noted it would not play after a specified time. But never the premium movie channels or any channel. I have plenty of recordings from channels I no longer subscribe to. In fact I only have HBO at the moment but can watch anything from Showtime or Cinemax or Starz that I recorded during freeview from recent to many years back. There has to be more to this with the Hopper. I don't remember one post about this with the 922 either.
I find it beyond ludicrous if that is now how it will work with a Hopper. I have to agree with some others, this will singly hurt Dish turn over more than most anything else. In fact if it ever does affect me it will make me think twice about getting a movie channel for a couple of months to record a few movies. I'll get the one I have and forget paying for anymore.

Last edited:
Guys, let's not jump to conclusions too quickly. I think Zach is mistaken on this one, and this is just a bug, not an intended feature. I think some developer just assumed that the content should be blocked based on the channel number, even if it comes from the EHD, which is a wrong assumption. Here is why I don't think this is intentional:

1. This wasn't the case on most other receivers in the past. Everything played fine from the EHD on my old vip622, for example. If this restriction was intentional (e.g. requested by content providers), then it would've been implemented on all VIP receivers too.

2. Many of us had to pay money (one-time activation fee) to get the EHD functionality. When we made that purchase, I don't think this was disclosed to anyone that the content may "expire". (Other than VOD recordings, where the expiration was mentioned explicitly.)

3. As others pointed out, the EHD is too important for Dish as a way of reducing the churn rate, to make such a major decision lightly.

4. Even if this was intentional, it definitely had some unintended effects. Look at the picture in my original post. La Boheme (Puccini's opera) and the Amelia ballet are both labeled as MLB Strike Zone! :D And I am pretty sure that the only reason why those programs refuse to play is because that channel number now belongs to the Strike Zone, which evidently I don't subscribe to. Dish moves channel numbers around all the time, so you can't block content just based on the channel number it was recorded from. This is wrong and will cause more problems in the future. I hope the development team is reading this.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

fwiw i have spoken to 3 different dish tech support reps about not being able to watch previously recorded shows from channels that i no longer subscribe to and each of them have said that this should not be happening. One tech sent out a broadcast message to 72 other techs and three more responses agreeed that we should be able to watch this content. She said she would pass it along to engineering. (also it worked fine on my 722 and my ehd didn't work at all until s209.)

fwiw i have spoken to 3 different dish tech support reps about not being able to watch previously recorded shows from channels that i no longer subscribe to and each of them have said that this should not be happening. One tech sent out a broadcast message to 72 other techs and three more responses agreeed that we should be able to watch this content. She said she would pass it along to engineering. (also it worked fine on my 722 and my ehd didn't work at all until s209.)

Good deal. Maybe if enough of us are "squeaky wheels" then it will be fixed. I suspect that it was never fixed on the 922 due to the small user base, and perhaps nobody complained. Not to mention the numerous other problems that the 922 has had that the Hopper has not.

I am on S211 as of this morning and the issue is still not fixed.
I am still unable to play a lot of recordings from my EHD. :(

I am now on S212. No improvements regarding the EHD. Still unable to play a lot of movies. :(
Some programs are still mislabeled and in addition, every single program is dated "02/07/2106"

I am now on S212. No improvements regarding the EHD. Still unable to play a lot of movies. :(
Some programs are still mislabeled and in addition, every single program is dated "02/07/2106"

I, too, have this problem.

I am now on S212 ... every single program is dated "02/07/2106"

I am on S212 (as of this morning) and every program on the EHD is dated "Sat 02/06/2106" (it was the same on S211). When pressing Info, the Record Date is "02/02/06 10:28pm" on every one. The First Aired date is correct. Pressing Info while watching the recording shows the correct Air Date (record date).

Another thing that irks me is that after playing a recording from the EHD it goes back to My Hopper instead of staying on External Device 1. It didn't do that on the 922.

dontpanic said:
the Record Date is "02/02/06 10:28pm" on every one. The First Aired date is correct. Pressing Info while watching the recording shows the correct Air Date (record date).
Yes, I have exactly the same time, except that I am on the East Coast, so your "10:28pm" becomes "1:28am" here. The date is 02/07/2106 though.

Yes, I have exactly the same time, except that I am on the East Coast, so your "10:28pm" becomes "1:28am" here. The date is 02/07/2106 though.

Ah, I guess I didn't pay attention to your location. When you play the recording and press Info, is the Air Date correct?

dontpanic said:
When you play the recording and press Info, is the Air Date correct?
It looks correct, I can't say for sure - don't remember the date when each movie was recorded. Only day and month are shown, but not the year.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Where are you guys seeing 2106? I see 02/07/06 12:28am.

You're apparently in the Central Time Zone, which is why you see "02/07/06 12:28am" when you press Info on a recording. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, which is why I see "02/06/06 10:28pm". Ilya is in the Eastern Time Zone, which is why he sees "02/07/06 01:28am".

To see the full year 2106, when in My Recordings and having focus on a recording, look at the top of the screen where the info is. On the third line it says "Sat 02/06/2106" for me. For you it should say "Sun 02/07/2106".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts