Error Code 771A

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stang68cs

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Urbana, IL
This afternoon I was in the middle of watching a program and the tv cut to this error code 771A. I have the barebones basic system. No HDTV, no splitter, just runs from satellite into the receiver. I followed the reset programming and that didn't work. I unplugged to power inverter and that didn't work. I then called the customer service rep. He asked if my green light on the back of the receiver was blinking, and I told him no, it was solid. He asked me to perform the same steps I had gone through. Still no response. He stated I would have to probably buy a new power inverter as this one was bad. He stated they would have to send a tech rep out at $49.00 my cost(I've only been a DirectTV customer 118 days, 28 days outside the warranty period) or I could sign up for the $5/month extended warranty right now and that would cover it. I stated I would think about it. I came in and googled the code and read somethings. I went out to the Dish and check the connections, they are all fine. I have read where the green light is blinking, then it is an inverter issue. Mine was always solid. I ran the individual transponder test and they all came up with "0" readings. Is there anything else I can do, or do I have to break down and pay the man?

Very interesting. Code 771A basically means that the SWM unit is not getting any power, or no SWM signal getting to your receiver (hence all your zero readings on your sat values). Just out of curiosity have you had any thunder showers recently? It is more than a bit unusual, but your SWM head may have taken a dive. Most electronics that are going to die, do it in the first 90 to 120 days.

on edit:
Sorry, I just read your post again. You say no HDTV. So why do you have a power inserter? SWM would be a waste of money in your situation. Like Iceberg mentions, have you had some winds that may have moved the dish?

Last edited:
Dish possibly out of whack?

Also do you have the slimline or a different dish? What receiver model?

Windy today with gusts up to 30 mph. I told the rep that, but he didn't seem concerned about how windy it was. Haven't really had any storms to talk about, it's been one of the mildest winters I lived thru. The dish is on the other side of the building and pretty well protected. I believe the dish is a slimline.

Well, 30 mph really isn't that much for a properly installed dish (even Slimline). Just out of curiosity, what kind of receiver do you have? I am curious as to why they gave you a slimline and SWM for a standard def receiver. Maybe they figure that you will probably upgrade to HD soon.

As a DTV tech support, yes a service call would be needed under DTV protocol. For 771a the only T/S is unplug the swim power inserter. Which you did.
Unless you can check connections at your swim connecter, next step is a Tech.

Do you live in an apartment, if so if you have flat cable check it. Wiggle it around and see what happens. If that don't work, do you have a ground block? If so check the connections there. Don't just look at them. Unhook them and see if they are still good. If that isn't it either check the cable all the way from the power inserter to the LNB and look for cuts or splices. Any damage will really screw with SWM. Hope this helps

Took apart my connection at the dish, looked at it(didn't clean anything or bend anything, put it back together) and now it works fine. The connection didn't seem loose whatsoever. But who knows. Yea, all the tech talked about was upgrading to HD, but I really only watch maybe 4-6hrs of tv a week at best, even if that. I couldn't see spending the extra for something I really don't need. The receiver was the latest thing he stated upon installation. He had to call back to the shop to ask how the setup went, ven though he received classes it. Any hoot, all is good in my world and I want to thank everyone for their advice. Iceberg, still living in Duluth? I just moved down from Brainerd area. I've heard you didn't have any snow at Christmas..a first??? Take care.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)