Error Uninstalling DirecTV2PC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Corbett

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 1, 2005
SE NC
I get the following error while trying to remove an early version (beta) in order to install the latest :
"Error!! The product definitation[sic] file lost", [sic] is not in the error message.
Any thoughts to get around this?

Seems a few people have that problem. If you're comfortable with registry editing, try this:

Delete the C:\Program Files\DirecTV directory. You may have to end the CLHNService.exe from Task Manager

Delete the C:\Documents and Settings\usename\Local Settings\Application Data\DirecTV folder

Delete the C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{E9B10AA5-E5F6-4DEF-A435-FB20704AF1E8} folder

Delete anything from the registry that says DirecTV. Exercise normal registry caution, especially if you have other DIRECTV applications

Reboot and try to install again. You might also try the Revo Uninstaller program to see if that can scrape it out for you.

I used Revo to uninstall, but got the same error. However, the registry cleaning by Revo allowed me to install the new version. Unfortunately my best computer is not able to run the program well, underpowered, jerky. The first beta version ran fairly well on this same computer.

Laptop or desktop? If its a desktop, a $20 video card might run it well. My 6 year old desktop with a $19 ATi 4350 card runs it great.

Laptops without a good graphics chip like at least a 4500MHD or better wont run anything other than the old beta that didnt use the GPU. A lot of laptops have the intel 950 and that wont cut it.

Laptop or desktop? If its a desktop, a $20 video card might run it well. My 6 year old desktop with a $19 ATi 4350 card runs it great.

Laptops without a good graphics chip like at least a 4500MHD or better wont run anything other than the old beta that didnt use the GPU. A lot of laptops have the intel 950 and that wont cut it.

It is a desktop with an nVidia GeForce 7600 GS with 512 MB running at 1280 x 1024, 32 bit color. It works well with most 3D games. It cost around $140 a couple of years ago.

I'm pretty sure the 7600 lacks full hardware mpeg4 decode. In the old version the s/w did all the decoding with the cpu. The new one wants a video card with full gpu decoding.

So you'll need at least an 8600 or newer. I'd go newer since the price pop to get into a low end recent gpu isnt that big. A 9500GT or a geforce 210 can be had for under $40.

I'm running on an ati 4350, an intel integrated 4500mhd and an intel hd integrated in laptops with no trouble. So you dont need fancy, just newer and with the full hardware decode.

Heck, as I mentioned in another thread I can run directv2pc on a single core atom system with an Ion gpu, which is just a cut back nvidia 9400.

use REVO unistaller it will remove it and all file/Regs. IT is a must have that is how I uninstall everything will this tool and advance option

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)