ESPN 3D shutting down

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can't see buying a 4K TV when there is no content to play on it yet(as far as I know). As far as watching 3D on DIRECTV,I bought a 3D adapter that would allow you to watch 3D content on a regular HD TV. Unfortunately,it only worked if 3D content was being viewed in letterbo:mad:which DIRECTV's 3D channels didn't broadcast in). So needless to say,it was a waste of time trying to watch 3d content on DTV.

Not a big surprise.
This has been rumored for a long time.

Kind of sad. But I doubt I'll notice. I liked to watch ACC basketball mostly on ESPN 3D but it's just to hard to put up with Dicky V's voice, and it was also not was too easy to sync ACC Network audio with ESPN 3D picture. The football always seemed better in regular HD.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I can't see buying a 4K TV when there is no content to play on it yet(as far as I know). As far as watching 3D on DIRECTV,I bought a 3D adapter that would allow you to watch 3D content on a regular HD TV. Unfortunately,it only worked if 3D content was being viewed in letterbo:mad:which DIRECTV's 3D channels didn't broadcast in). So needless to say,it was a waste of time trying to watch 3d content on DTV.

which adapter u buy?

3D never appealed to me. Gimmick.

As fr 4k TV. The biggest issue is bandwidth.

3D never appealed to me. Gimmick.

As fr 4k TV. The biggest issue is bandwidth.

That was said about hd long before it ever became a reality. Getting better processing made the difference. I suspect the same for 4ktv.

I called this when the 3D push began. I do agree that sports in 3D was cool, but simple math will help you realize the cost and additional equipment and training to do it right was counterproductive.

TV manufacturers are always looking for something... After HD, they had to start experimenting. They are probably purposely designing sets to fail in the 2-3 year range. I would imagine that will be the new strategy to keep sets selling.

The only 4K device I will be interested in will be a monitor for my video editing desktop. My HDTV's (LG) look great, offer Netflix and will not be replaced until they stop working.

4K will not get traction in my opinion, due to the bandwidth it needs. Compression algorithms are going to need to evolve significantly if 4K will have any hope of distribution.

Who cares.. as long as 3D Blurays still exists thats all I care about.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Actually I'm a little surprised that "D" decided to drop 3D. Among other things it gave them something that "E" didn't offer and lets face it, one upmanship between these two companies is a big deal. Also consider that there are a lot of 3D TV's out there (almost every single mid level model and up from every manufacture). That's not changing. I doubt you'll find a single 4K offering that does not incorporate 3D. Now 4K, there is a marketing bazooka aimed at the unsuspecting consumer. At this moment not one single major network is even broadcasting a 1080P signal. Do you really think they will spend the money to upgrade their equipment to 4K?

Actually I'm a little surprised that "D" decided to drop 3D. Among other things it gave them something that "E" didn't offer and lets face it, one upmanship between these two companies is a big deal. ?
it is ESPN pulling it DTV no choice

Also consider that there are a lot of 3D TV's out there (almost every single mid level model and up from every manufacture). That's not changing. I doubt you'll find a single 4K offering that does not incorporate 3D.
above is true yet
ESPN says
The sports network says that they’re yanking the cord on ESPN 3D due to the lack of adoption of the technology, which is sure to be a blow to the company’s working their hearts out on 3D television sets.

and that is just not true

the real deal is not enough watchers = no ad money and they are losing money

it is ESPN pulling it DTV no choice

above is true yet
ESPN says
The sports network says that they’re yanking the cord on ESPN 3D due to the lack of adoption of the technology, which is sure to be a blow to the company’s working their hearts out on 3D television sets.

and that is just not true

the real deal is not enough watchers = no ad money and they are losing money
It's ESPN's own fault for not aggressively marketing this channel and putting new content on it. Perhaps the source Scott refrenced a year or two ago could have been part of the problem, If you do not think something is going to succeed, and put effort into it, it won't... as for the adoption, that's the tech writers that have always bashed 3D talking...

have found in the past that ESPN to be very responsive to emails i've sent over issues with espn3, so if you liked ESPN 3D would advise sending them your thoughts.
good luck

Reruns 24/7 with an occasional live event that if you didn't check their website you wouldn't know it was on. No loss to me. Watching 2 or 3 year old fights and games was never going to catch on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)