ESPN Cubs Blackout

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You're right, if you're out of the WCIU footprint, you should have gotten the game on ESPN.
Ah, silly me. I just looked in our paper and it turns out South Bend's Chicago-owned LP station (WMYS) had the game on. Not in HD, mind you, so I still reserve the right to be pissed...:p
The sad part is Houston laying down for the Brewers.
Not tonight, it appears! :D

Last edited:
what no one is saying here is that if the stadium isnt at a certain lvl of attendance, they have the right to black out... more peeps gotta go to the game

what no one is saying here is that if the stadium isnt at a certain lvl of attendance, they have the right to black out... more peeps gotta go to the game

The Game was Sold out! This isn't like Atlanta Cub fans go to the games. It makes no difference. The game was originally scheduled for WCIU. ESPN picked it up recently so if you weren't able to get WCIU you wasn't going to be able to see the game anyway.

Last edited:
Level of attendance is irrelevant in Major League Baseball. In the NFL it matters.

This entire blackout situation is solely MLB's fault, guys. If you wish to complain about it, contact Bob DuPuy, Chief Operating Officer or Major League Baseball. He's the guy who oversees the negotiations that deal with broadcast agreements.

I think if the contact information for this gentlement is posted like an office number or some email address alot more people would contact him to hopefully get this corrected...alot of people including myself pay alot of money each month to watch a game...we should be able to watch them... Im not outright pissed off but just like contacting your congressman...if enough phone calls or emails come in hopefully something might be looked at...anyone have this information?

Black out senarios like this is why everyone should invest in a good OTA antenna. I just subscribed to E* this week. When I ordered E* service I had to insist that the csr add a wineguard SS antenna to my order. The csr asked me why I wanted an antenna when E* carries Chicago market local channels? This scenario is exactly why. E* DOES carry local WCIU channel 26 in Chicago, but is does not carry it as part of the HD package. So I was able to watch the CUBS WIN last night in HD thanks to my trusty wine guard antenna!

GO CUBS!

Black out senarios like this is why everyone should invest in a good OTA antenna. I just subscribed to E* this week. When I ordered E* service I had to insist that the csr add a wineguard SS antenna to my order. The csr asked me why I wanted an antenna when E* carries Chicago market local channels? This scenario is exactly why. E* DOES carry local WCIU channel 26 in Chicago, but is does not carry it as part of the HD package. So I was able to watch the CUBS WIN last night in HD thanks to my trusty wine guard antenna!

GO CUBS!

I do have an OTA antenna but somehow I don't think I'm going to pick up a station that's 300 miles away.:(

The game was not blackouted here, 20 miles south of Milwaukee, 70 miles north of Chicago. Cubs won:(. I preffer it to be blackouted and Cubs loose:D

Yeah check one of your local stations like WGN or one of the RSN's. Usually if ESPN has it blocked out then most time it due to one of the locals has the game or the RSN does.

I really don't understand what purpose a blackout serves. I mean I could buy the MLB live tv package online and I'd still be subject to blackout. I'm giving MLB money to watch the game what more do they want?!

The only HD programming I've ever seen on WCIU is the overflow from comcast sportsnet.

GO CUBS! :D :D :D

???

WCIU doesn't show "Overflow" from Comcast Sportsnet. The are used as an affliate of "Cubs Net", "Sox Net", & "Bulls Net". Everything they do is WGN produced, just shown on WCIU in Chicago.

CSN offers CSN+ when they have 2 games at once, but CLTV picks that up in Chicago on Comacast & the ALT channels get it on E* & D*.
And, as of right now, the WGN produced sports on WCIU are the only HD that I've seen as well, & you do need an antenna, becuase I don't believe any provider has picked up WCIU-HD, it is strictly OTA.

I see you're frustration... I guess you need to move closer to Chicago or watch the game in SD via E*.

I think your missing something. I didn't get last nights game is HD, SD, B&W....nothing. It was blacked out on all channels it was on.

I live in southern illinois and i was not able to watch the game on E* dont understand why i was not able to watch the game.

???

WCIU doesn't show "Overflow" from Comcast Sportsnet. The are used as an affliate of "Cubs Net", "Sox Net", & "Bulls Net". Everything they do is WGN produced, just shown on WCIU in Chicago.

CSN offers CSN+ when they have 2 games at once, but CLTV picks that up in Chicago on Comacast & the ALT channels get it on E* & D*.
And, as of right now, the WGN produced sports on WCIU are the only HD that I've seen as well, & you do need an antenna, becuase I don't believe any provider has picked up WCIU-HD, it is strictly OTA.

Your right, it is produced by WGN...I just had it stuck in my head from every time I hear the words "presented by comcast sportsnet". :D :D

I live in southern illinois and i was not able to watch the game on E* dont understand why i was not able to watch the game.

It sounds to me like someone @ E* screwed up then. I'll bet they thought/assumed/we're told/ that the local rights to the game were with Comcast Sportsnet. If that was the case, all of you would have been able to see the game there. But, since it was WCIU, the ESPN feed showed only have been blacked out in the true Chicago DMA & any other DMA that had a local OTA "Cubs Net" feed. I think that that was only South Bend. Don't believe any other stations pick this up OTA.

Oops, you weren't the Original Poster, my Bad. He said he was in the Chicago market, so he would have had the game on WCIU. You should have had it on ESPN, correct?

I DID NOT say I live in the Chicago market. I live in west-central Illinois 225 miles SW of Chicago....far, far, far, FAR from the Chicago TV market (I'm actually in the Quad Cities and Quincy markets)