Espn-hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Enforcer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
I swear, ESPNHD is a total joke. I just checked out their HD lineup or should I say the lack therof. I don't see how ESPN can add another HD channel when they can't even fill one channel. Total waste!

No arguments here ... and I am a sports nut. Until they have populated an entire lineup, why take this step?

I love sports too and I usually watch sports center in HD but now that football is over, they are just putting to much stuff up in SD instead of HD. I was pretty surprised tonights Kentucky vs. Florida game was not in HD. Isn't Kentucky one of the bigger college basketball schools?

Now to once again reveal myself as the rabid Duke fan of the board and get ribbed...

Yeah, Duke and UNC is about as big as in-season college basketball gets, but ESPN won't have it in HD. Yet they will have Duke and Maryland in HD on Saturday... huh?

ESPN's criteria for 'blessing' an event with HD coverage seems pretty arbitrary. In fact, Duke at Maryland was HD last year, too, also with Duke versus UNC in SD.

Personally, I think they're just short on hardware (HD cameras and mobile studios, etc.). And, I think they must be buying their hardware because the quarterfinals, semifinals and finals of the ACC tournament will ALL be in HD.

Now the problem: many of the games are on ESPN2, so y'all may hear me start crying (again) about getting ESPN2HD on DirecTV.

My point, though, is that ESPN will (in my opinion) justify that second HD feed soon enough. Now we just have to hope we get to enjoy it.

--Dino

If anything the Illinois game should have been in HD last night.

But it has not been that way the last 3 Super Tuesdays.

Dino said:
Now to once again reveal myself as the rabid Duke fan of the board and get ribbed...

Yeah, Duke and UNC is about as big as in-season college basketball gets, but ESPN won't have it in HD. Yet they will have Duke and Maryland in HD on Saturday... huh?

ESPN's criteria for 'blessing' an event with HD coverage seems pretty arbitrary. In fact, Duke at Maryland was HD last year, too, also with Duke versus UNC in SD.

Personally, I think they're just short on hardware (HD cameras and mobile studios, etc.). And, I think they must be buying their hardware because the quarterfinals, semifinals and finals of the ACC tournament will ALL be in HD.

Now the problem: many of the games are on ESPN2, so y'all may hear me start crying (again) about getting ESPN2HD on DirecTV.

My point, though, is that ESPN will (in my opinion) justify that second HD feed soon enough. Now we just have to hope we get to enjoy it.

--Dino

You REALLY want to cry? If you live in a Jefferson Pilot area, ESPN (SD AND HD) is BLACKED OUT!

Dino - it won't be March that you will be singing the blues. It will be tonight around 11:00 when your Dookies go down in Cameron. The Heels roll tonight my friend!!!!!!!

CWS_kahuna said:
I love sports too and I usually watch sports center in HD but now that football is over, they are just putting to much stuff up in SD instead of HD. I was pretty surprised tonights Kentucky vs. Florida game was not in HD. Isn't Kentucky one of the bigger college basketball schools?

Not trying to raise a stink, but Voom had the Florida vs Kentucky game in HD.

yet to see UK in HD

I am a RABID Cat fan, you know the big blue bafoons? Well, I have yet to see a Kentucky basketball game in HD! My gosh they are 18-2 about to be 19-2 after trouncing Georgia today! They are ranked 4 or 5 depending on the poll and still no HD! I have to agree with the Duke fan, as hard as it may be, but no UNC vs. Duke in HD?!? But then they show Wake and UNCST? WTF?!? ESPN needs to get some priorities on HD and I thought you should perfect what you have before you try upgrading! The guy that invented the wheel didn't try putting steel belted radials on the octagon! He waited til it was round and rolling before upgrading! Get with the program ESPN!!!

Well, the ND game WAS in HD for a little while today. I guess I should be grateful for the brief glimpse I did get.

J_slimz said:
I am a RABID Cat fan, you know the big blue bafoons? Well, I have yet to see a Kentucky basketball game in HD! My gosh they are 18-2 about to be 19-2 after trouncing Georgia today! They are ranked 4 or 5 depending on the poll and still no HD! I have to agree with the Duke fan, as hard as it may be, but no UNC vs. Duke in HD?!? But then they show Wake and UNCST? WTF?!? ESPN needs to get some priorities on HD and I thought you should perfect what you have before you try upgrading! The guy that invented the wheel didn't try putting steel belted radials on the octagon! He waited til it was round and rolling before upgrading! Get with the program ESPN!!!

Try living where the local CBS affiliate has been broadcasting in Digital for about a year and still hasn't passed along the HD feed. I feel your pain because I'm in West Virginia, but our market serves Kentucky as well so I see alot of UK games.

Imagine how I feel. Number one team in the nation and I think that we have been in HD once. Illinois gives ESPN highest ratings in years when the Illini broke the Badgers home game winning streak. Then, the next big game ESPN was banking on was when the Illini were going to Michigan State and Vitale and all the big wigs were there and yet they didn't put that game in HD.

ESPN Sportscenter in HD=JOKE

Hey PSWAN

I am in your market also and I know exactly what CBS affiliate you are speaking of. I applied for a waiver to get ABC, Fox, NBC, and CBS in HD since only NBC actually offers HD here. ABC/ Fox agreed but CBS declined. I called the jerks at the affiliate and they told me they dont grant waivers just for HD reception. They were even jerks about it. Good luck getting HD reception from those bafoons. They will be forced by the government before it happens or will have to be bought out by a real broadcasting company.

No freakin' love in Rock Chalk Jayhawk land either!!!

Yes, Illinois fans you are #1 (for now). Lets face it though. There are really 4 maybe 5 LEGIT collegiate programs who have a right to complain. KU is one of them!! No one has more tradition than KANSAS.....this is not a rant at who's good this year and who isn't. Fact is...as I said earlier 4-5 LEGIT teams year in, year out that have a gripe.

Bottom line, as has been already stated ESPN HD is a joke!!

Hey Footballfreak!

footballfreak said:
I am in your market also and I know exactly what CBS affiliate you are speaking of. I applied for a waiver to get ABC, Fox, NBC, and CBS in HD since only NBC actually offers HD here. ABC/ Fox agreed but CBS declined. I called the jerks at the affiliate and they told me they dont grant waivers just for HD reception. They were even jerks about it. Good luck getting HD reception from those bafoons. They will be forced by the government before it happens or will have to be bought out by a real broadcasting company.

I have some friends at that CBS affiliate in upper management and they get tired of me pointing out how I've got a great HDTV but can't watch CSI, etc. It wouldn't be such an issue if I didn't watch CBS so much.

I also take issue with the selection of NFL games on Sunday, but that's another story for maybe another time.

I don't know what the hold up is, but while we wait for CBS programing we're getting NBC, FOX, soon ABC OTA.

How did you get ABC/FOX to agree? Might be a moot point now in a few weeks but I'd be curious.

Paul

Fox and ABC

Since ABC and Fox affiliate did not offer HD I guess they allowed me to get it. That is why I was supprised at CBS. Initially D did not offer Fox And ABC HD but did offer the standard def from NY and LA. When I told D I only wanted the two channels in HD and did not want to pay just to have them in SD they advised me to take it because of a new law. They said by taking the Fox and ABC NY affiliates I would able to get them in high DEF when it was available. To make a long story short, it was take it or leave it. Superbowl in HD was AWESOME. Also even though the locals are getting HD OTA the signal strength is terrible. NBC is poor when there are clouds in the sky.

By the way, I like your radio show and GO HERD & Mountaineers. It would be nice to see the HERD in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts