ESPN to Debut New Shows on ABC (UPDATED)

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
You got to do something better than this ABC/ESPN! Talk about putting a small band-aid on a deep gash! :rant:

ESPN to Debut New Shows on ABC (UPDATED)

With the dearth of sporting events on ABC causing consternation among its affiliates, ESPN is set to announce plans for two new weekly sports series on the network.

ESPN will debut a two-hour block of sports programming on ABC beginning April 3, reports USA Today. The block, titled ESPN Sports Saturday, will be hosted by Hannah Storm.

The first hour of the block will feature an episode of an ESPN original series -- including 30 for 30, E:60, and Homecoming with Rick Reilly. The first episode will feature the premiere of the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary Guru of Go, about the late Hank Gathers. Other episodes will feature programs that have already aired on ESPN.

The second hour will feature Winners Bracket, hosted by Marcellus Wiley and Michelle Beadle. The show will review the past week in sports, with the week's biggest news stories placed in a bracket "to determine who's No. 1."

ESPN EVP/content John Skipper told USA Today that the new shows were a result of ABC affiliates asking ESPN for more Saturday afternoon sports programming. Skipper: "This was just responding to a request."

In February, Mediaweek reported that some ABC affiliates were upset over losing sports programming to ESPN.

WSB-TV GM Bill Hoffman, who was vocal with his criticism in that Mediaweek piece, praised the new programming block. Hoffman: "We are excited about this brand new sports offering from such a trusted brand. This program comes as a result of great creative thinking and collaboration between the ABC Board and ESPN."

Also in February, ESPN VP/Communications Mike Soltys told Sports Media Watch that ESPN was "looking at doing some additional programming on ABC Sports that we don't currently do."

Both of these shows are lame. Neither will last.

The peception that ESPN is "pay TV" and OTA networks are "free TV" is only technically accurate. Yes, you can put up an antenna and if you are lucky enough to live within 40 miles or so of a city, get ABC, et al, for free. And only about 8% of people do that. And these are the people for whom TV, and TV sports, are the least important.

If you have cable, or DBS, you pay for ABC via "retansmission consent" in the same way you pay for ESPN.

ABC affiliates have, of late, been complaining of the supposed "weakness" of the network's sports line-up visavis the other OTA networks. Personally, with college football, IMHO, ABC is right there in this respect.

The peception that ESPN is "pay TV" and OTA networks are "free TV" is only technically accurate. Yes, you can put up an antenna and if you are lucky enough to live within 40 miles or so of a city, get ABC, et al, for free. And only about 8% of people do that. And these are the people for whom TV, and TV sports, are the least important.

If you have cable, or DBS, you pay for ABC via "retansmission consent" in the same way you pay for ESPN.

ABC affiliates have, of late, been complaining of the supposed "weakness" of the network's sports line-up visavis the other OTA networks. Personally, with college football, IMHO, ABC is right there in this respect.

I must be in that 8 % your talking about.
I use my OTA daily ....

ABC Sports does a fine job with College Football as you mentioned.
My Buckeye's are on ABC or ESPN every week.

What ESPN is doing as a "response" is incredibly condescending. Lets see, a repeat of ESPN programming (a la ABC's current Saturday morning line-up, which is little more than reruns of live-action Disney Channel shows) and a weakly put together Sports Nation knock off. It doesn't take being a genius to understand that what the affiliates meant was they want the big-time sports properties that ESPN has poached from ABC (i.e. the NBA, NFL, college football, PGA, NASCAR, etc.). But of course, Disney is terrified that they can't make more money on broadcast television, so they'll take things exclusively to cable. Roone Arledge must be rolling over in his grave right now!
disappointed.gif

What ESPN is doing as a "response" is incredibly condescending. Lets see, a repeat of ESPN programming (a la ABC's current Saturday morning line-up, which is little more than reruns of live-action Disney Channel shows) and a weakly put together Sports Nation knock off. It doesn't take being a genius to understand that what the affiliates meant was they want the big-time sports properties that ESPN has poached from ABC (i.e. the NBA, NFL, college football, PGA, NASCAR, etc.). But of course, Disney is terrified that they can't make more money on broadcast television, so they'll take things exclusively to cable. Roone Arledge must be rolling over in his grave right now!
disappointed.gif
Why would Disney put those events on ABC when they know they can make more money on ESPN? They're not running a charity.

Again, where in the hell do you come up with these figures???...:eek:
You have to be making them up, because they are so far off base it's not funny!!!...:rolleyes:

There are many areas of the country where the digital signals of the OTA stations carry much further than "40 miles", depending on terrian and other factors!!!...Just because they don't in your part of the world doesn't mean that's true for the rest of the country!!!...
But if you bothered to look it up, and not pull these "stats" out of your ass just to justify your arguments, you would know that!!!...:rant:

And maybe in your local rural area it may be just "8%", but just check out the ratings, (and yes, if you know where to look, they are broken down by method of reception), you will see just how far off the mark you are!!!...again!!!...!sadroll

And these are the people for whom TV, and TV sports, are the least important.

And how in the world would you know that???...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Again, where in the hell do you come up with these figures???

Umm, here:

snl-kagan-cable-summary-data-2006.jpg

And from the public annual reports of DISH and DirecTV.

You end up with 8% of people who only get TV OTA.

And

And how in the world would you know that???

Lets see, duh, if a person has only 4 or 5 channels they can get OTA, then they probably have TV as a lesser part of their lives than the VAST MAJORITY who pay up.

BTW, I do not live in a rural area.

Well here's an official press release for what to expect:
SportsCenter’s Hannah Storm will anchor ESPN Sports Saturday, guiding viewers throughout the two hours. The block will generally begin with a 60-minute episode of one of three signature ESPN series – ESPN Films 30 for 30 documentary series, E:60 news magazine or the athlete interview series Homecoming with Rick Reilly– followed by the hour long Winners Bracket.

From thrilling performances to record-setting moments to unforgettable quotes, Winners Bracket will debate and recap the week in sports in a fast tempo, quick-witted bracket-style format with the 16 biggest newsmakers of the week pitted against each other in seeded brackets. The hosts will banter and offer their unique perspectives – one as a life-long sports fan and the other as a former pro athlete – during each round of debate which will also be framed through highlights and comments from ESPN analysts. The show will culminate with the determination of the definitive play of the week as the bracket champion.

ESPN experts will regularly offer their perspective, including in the debut show, ESPN Radio host Mike Greenberg, college basketball analyst Digger Phelps and NBA analyst Jalen Rose. ESPN Radio and SportsNation host Colin Cowherd will also be a frequent contributor.

I'm still not impressed!

This won't last. I don't watch that crap when it is on ESPN. What is going to make me watch it on ABC?

Wide World of Sports would do fine in the ratings. What made Wide World so great is what Jim McKay once said about it. It was not driving down the middle of the street to look for things to show, it was looking down the side streets. That's why you saw things like the Firemen Competitions, Frog Jumping , Barrel Jumping, Evel Knievel, The Harlem Globetrotters. You never knew what you were going to see. I was in two Wide Of Sports shows , both seen in the background. Once was in 1975 at Kings Island in Ohio . Evel Knievel jumped 14 buses . I was near his landing ramp . I had my photo taken with two of the Cincinnati Reds. I believe it was Johnny Bench and Joe Morgan. The other was when Wide World did an event at Universal Studios in the 1990's. Rollerblade racing if I remember .
Here is one of the best promo spots ever made . [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1aACyAUARE"]YouTube- ABC 's Wide World of Sports Promo 1970's Long Version[/ame]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)